Pod Your Reef

Okay so if anybody is in the market to get a nano skimmer take this write up into consideration. I couldn't find a skimmer to fit in the small space. There's only one skimmer out there that would work for me. There was still a possibility that it wouldn't have fit plus I would have been spending over $100 

So the items you'll need is some kind of bottle or tube that will fit your space I found drink bottles to work the best for This because you can utilize the the water tight seal in the cap of most drinks 

IMG_5889.JPG

IMG_5890.JPG

Also will need 

airline tubing 

air pump 

wooden air stone 

razor blades 

glue suction cups 

misc airline fittings and an airline pressure adjustment vavle 

IMG_5891.JPG

I'm 100% sure my airstone is too big I bought it in plans of using the smart water bottle but I couldn't get it to fit so I had to use the smaller bottle so if I have issues I'll buy a smaller airstone 

So first cut the bottom off the bottle

IMG_5892.JPG

IMG_5893.JPG

Then drill a how in the cap and the side of the bottle these are for the airline to the stone and the waste return to the collection cup 

IMG_5894.JPG

IMG_5899.JPG

Glue an airline fitting on the the bottle for the waste line and run your airline through the top and connect your airstone use something to hold your stone in place I just glued the airline to the cap of the battle 

note do not buy this big of an airstone if your bottle is this small 

IMG_5895.JPG

IMG_5900.JPG

IMG_5896.JPG

IMG_5902.JPG

Put everything together and it should look something like this 

IMG_5903.JPG

Once you have your lines measured out and cut splice in an air control vavle in the feed line to the air stone and then run your waste line to your collection container

IMG_5906.JPG

So it's been running for about 20mins or so 

I know it takes a little bit for these to break In I still feel the airstone is too large and I have the bottle to far into the water so it prollay gonna have to be changed out but here's some bubble action 

IMG_5911.JPG

It's not the most appealing setup can be done a lot cleaner but if your on a budget or are like me and have a very limited amount of space this is an good option if your wanting to run a skimmer my tanks been running 2 months without a skimmer no issues I just do weekly water changes hopefully this skimmer helps even more 

The coralife biocube skimmer fits in the second chamber, same principal, comes with everything, and only $25-30. Just have to cut off the plastic tabs that line the cup up, so it can be rotated. Downside is the cup would have to be emptied more than a bottle. 

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, xthunt said:

The coralife biocube skimmer fits in the second chamber, same principal, comes with everything, and only $25-30. Just have to cut off the plastic tabs that line the cup up, so it can be rotated. Downside is the cup would have to be emptied more than a bottle. 

I already have something in my second chamber 

• 2 months later...

Not a bad little set up you made. 

A few years ago,I found a small acrylic tube about 5-6" tall and I think it was 2" in diameter and used it for quite a while and that thing was a monster. I was running a huge air pump,control valve and it pulled some very dark small skimmate.