ReefCleaners.org

100 Days of Nanos: Vote for Additional Prizes!

metrokat

Additional Prizes!

It’s been a great 100 days, and we’d like to congratulate our winners of the top 3 categories.

• Pjanssen for winning Best Overall. Congratulations Penny!

• StellaBlue for winning Best Aquascape. Congratulations Rachel!

• Lkoeckle for winning Most Frugal. Congratulations Lea!

We have more categories to award prizes for and we need your votes once more!

The voting for these additional categories is more casual. Consider the description of the category and give us your choice for the winner in a post below. Would be great if you commented on why you chose that contestant for that category. And feel free to nominate someone for a category that is not listed. This part of the community vote is casual and fun. 

• Struggle Bus: Who had the most issues getting their tank off the ground, or didn’t at all? If we could all tell that your tank build was an uphill battle (in the snow, both ways!), you deserve a medal. Or a cookie. Or a Struggle Bus prize!

• Best Growth: 100 days isn’t enough to get lush coral growth, but it sure gets you on your way! This category is for a tank that showed the most noticeable growth progression, where the contestant was able to document their tank growing from a simple rock scape to a busy reef garden anyone would be jealous of!

• Best Photography: We all know the golden ratio - but which of these contestants produced the most pleasing photos? Turning down those Orbit Marine blues for the audience’s viewing is a considerate step; let’s see whose FTS and inhabitant photos we enjoyed the most!

• Most Colorful: It can’t all be green and blue! Let us know which of the contestants gave us a bouquet of colors - a rainbow, even! Maybe orange isn’t your favorite color, but it definitely pops against blue and purple!

• Most Enthusiasm: The winner in this category is That Person. The one that cheers everyone on, enjoys the competition, and pops into threads to keep everyone going! Vote for the person you thought was most enthusiastic about this tank journey we all followed!

• Most GHA/pests: Let’s face it, it’s not all rose corals and dragon’s breath hitchhikers! Some of us had an uphill battle with pests, whether plant or animal! If you want to commend someone for putting up with pests in their tank and documenting it for us, vote for them here!

Remember: the winners of the top 3 categories are not eligible for winning these additional 6. You can certainly mention them however.

The 100 Days of Nanos Additional Categories Finalists

Addinali

This elegant tank has entertained and educated kids of several ages - it even cycled with a toddler! We’re glad to have been able to follow along during these precious family moments. And so happy the algae issues are in the past!

coral_chef

Their first tank, and intuitive enough to include an overhang and gorgeous purple rocks! The tank is fallow, but we look forward to seeing it develop in the future! Now, sand or barebottom - good question! :P

Coralcousins

This Frag-insula taught us about the trials of pests and tank temperature, but still ended up an elegant rising scape with a hardy collection of corals that have all been photographed for our viewing pleasure!

FateX9

Interesting aquascape with an overhang that allowed many varieties of corals. If the corals don’t keep the tank looking busy, we’re sure the active swimmers will!

Luu78

Livestock is a thoughtful and unique assortment of inverts and includes Pederson shrimps, flaming scallop, pipefish, pom poms. We look forward to seeing even more inverts, including more anemones, in this tank!

Mariaface

This tank thread starred the Struggle Bus as we learned about the perils of bacterial issues, algae issues, and lack-of-macro issues! Some inventive use of fishing line gave us a temporary floating island, and the tank has settled just in time for the contest to end! Maria had many issues with the tank and kept powering through with amazing positivity.

MaineReefKeeper

Leather dominant tank with about 16 leathers! Jason jumped back into the hobby when he joined the contest and showed us all an elegant, cascading nano rockscape. We couldn’t see any documented issues, seemed like smooth sailing.

MrMikeKim

This tank underwent a very detailed, informative cycle using dry rocks and bacterial supplements. Very informative for those looking to do the same in the future, and we’re happy to hear that the inhabitants made it through the jump in bioload when they were added!

nanoSteve

We were able to see the beginnings of this tank, where diatoms came and went once the tank was wet! We hope those macro clippings have been doing well, NanoSteve!

Sabrefencer

This tank got through setup, and there’s talk of a redo! We’re excited to see the results of a new rockscape and the potential for another setup with “The Package”!

Seafurn

Rock flower anemone dominant tank with an elegant and simple layout.This thoroughly detailed tank thread brought us on the roller coaster of anemone ownership, and the trial of weeding out fireworms. It turns out even porcelain crabs will compete for food!

Spectra

Tank seemed to be doing well per the last pictures. Soft fringing reef with macros and gorgonians, colorful. This beer inspired tank turned into a huge, macro and coral filled success! These primary-colored inhabitants are swimming through a sea of plants and gorgonians!

Good luck!

• Like 5
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic
6 hours ago, Boggers said:

Is this one open voting or did you forget to add the poll?

Since we get a chance to explain, I'm pretty sure it's open voting. :)  (removing pings juuuuust in case)

Votes:

• Struggle Bus: If I can't vote for myself here, I'm not putting another name down >:C (yeah, yeah, I know others struggled...)

• Best Growth: Maybe it's just me, but @spectra's macros really seem to have filled in from when they were first added? The tank fits the 'lush' and 'busy reef garden' criteria here :) 

• Best Photography:  @coralcousins had some really crisp photos, and even got a shot of a cute-scary nudi :P 

• Most Enthusiasm:  @SeaFurn. Nothing can get this kid down, right? :P Wonderful job giving us updates, staying positive through anemone troubles, writing a thorough conclusion, and participating in other threads!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Thrassian Atoll

CoralCousins for best photography 

Spectra for best color 

Mariaface for GHA/Pests

The rest I am not sure by just looking at the photos.

• Thanks 3
19 hours ago, Mariaface said:

Since we get a chance to explain, I'm pretty sure it's open voting. :)  (removing pings juuuuust in case)

Votes:

• Struggle Bus: If I can't vote for myself here, I'm not putting another name down >:C (yeah, yeah, I know others struggled...)

Of course you can vote for yourself!

• Like 2

Struggle Bus: Gotta go with @Mariaface on this one, but @SeaFurn came really close.

Most Pests: So I'll go with @SeaFurn here since it was pest fire worms that killed off his beautiful RFA's

Best Photography: 

Most Enthusiasm: Can I nominate @Lula_Mae and @Weetabix7 and @gena

Most Colorful: @spectra. Between the Gorgs and the Macros, and some other stuff, then add in a couple of beautiful colorful, albeit tiny fish and you have a rainbow. 

This is sooooooooooooo difficult:eek:. I'll have to come back

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
20 hours ago, Mariaface said:

• Best Photography:  @coralcousins had some really crisp photos, and even got a shot of a cute-scary nudi :P 

I'm going to agree with Best Photography going to @coralcousins.  Wonderful shots, set-up.  I nominated him/her for best overall but I think the photos are fitting.

• Like 2

Ok here are my votes and some new categories: 

Struggle Bus: @Mariaface one word: bacteria 

Sh*t happened, I survived: @Addinali - I feel like one thing after another happened and yet he stuck with it! 

Best Growth: for me, this was a toss up between @spectra and @MaineReefkeeper

But I have to give it to spectra - his tank really filled in. 

Best Photograpy: again, a toss up between @FateX9 and @luu78 but I think it goes to @FateX9

most colorful: no contest in my mind. This goes to @spectra. From Qbertavertasaurusrex to macros and gorgs and everything in between, his tank has lots of color. 

Most enthusiasm: not @spectra haha. Just kidding. I say @Weetabix7 - she kept us all going, helped everyone with advice  when she could and was an all-around awesome cheerleader 

most GHA/pests: I nominate @seafurn for this one. Dang fireworms 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Gotta remember to do this on nap time. lol @Mariaface is the strugglebus.  not even a category. Seriously,  I would have taken a hammer to the tank with that bacteria. 

I can't tell if that's a vote or a 'hey get out of here, you might be contagious!' :P 

(though on that note, let me not give anyone anything out of my tank for a few months...)

• Haha 2
43 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Gotta remember to do this on nap time. lol @Mariaface is the strugglebus.  not even a category. Seriously,  I would have taken a hammer to the tank with that bacteria. 

+1

• Like 1
  • Struggle Bus: Who had the most issues getting their tank off the ground, or didn’t at all? If we could all tell that your tank build was an uphill battle (in the snow, both ways!), you deserve a medal. Or a cookie. Or a Struggle Bus prize! @Mariaface hands down.  SeaFurn had a lot of trouble.  But my goodness, that bacteria.  I would've just thrown in the towel.  So, make that tank a TOTM next year, Maria.  What a story that would be! :lol:

• Best Growth: 100 days isn’t enough to get lush coral growth, but it sure gets you on your way! This category is for a tank that showed the most noticeable growth progression, where the contestant was able to document their tank growing from a simple rock scape to a busy reef garden anyone would be jealous of! @spectra lots of macros.  He claims no water changes... But... my nitrates are definitely high enough and my macros don't look that good.  

• Best Photography: We all know the golden ratio - but which of these contestants produced the most pleasing photos? Turning down those Orbit Marine blues for the audience’s viewing is a considerate step; let’s see whose FTS and inhabitant photos we enjoyed the most! @coralcousins wonderful crisp shots.  I love the last one of the sexy.

• Most Colorful: It can’t all be green and blue! Let us know which of the contestants gave us a bouquet of colors - a rainbow, even! Maybe orange isn’t your favorite color, but it definitely pops against blue and purple! @Addinali it's not quite going yet, but the palette has been laid with the red sponge, green corals, pink xenia and zoas.

• Most Enthusiasm: The winner in this category is That Person. The one that cheers everyone on, enjoys the competition, and pops into threads to keep everyone going! Vote for the person you thought was most enthusiastic about this tank journey we all followed! @Weetabix7 and @Lula_Mae  Seriously, you guys should both win.  Y'all are so encouraging, its so nice.  You both know how to make someone feel truly special even though I'm sure we're all equally special in your eyes. Like Santa Claus lol  

• Most GHA/pests: Let’s face it, it’s not all rose corals and dragon’s breath hitchhikers! Some of us had an uphill battle with pests, whether plant or animal! If you want to commend someone for putting up with pests in their tank and documenting it for us, vote for them here! @SeaFurn similar with Maria.  Nope, wouldn't have stuck it out. lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
3 minutes ago, lkoechle said:
  • Struggle Bus: Who had the most issues getting their tank off the ground, or didn’t at all? If we could all tell that your tank build was an uphill battle (in the snow, both ways!), you deserve a medal. Or a cookie. Or a Struggle Bus prize! @Mariaface hands down.  SeaFurn had a lot of trouble.  But my goodness, that bacteria.  I would've just thrown in the towel.  So, make that tank a TOTM next year, Maria.  What a story that would be! :lol:

:P Technically the fusion went through the same story, so if that becomes TOTM I'll be shocked. It basically had to start from scratch twice after the bacteria went rampant. This IM14 is getting merged into the Fusion 20 (it'll be a full house!), and then converted into a freshwater planted shrimp tank. Super excited, and I'll definitely have a build thread for this FW tank :) 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

:P Technically the fusion went through the same story, so if that becomes TOTM I'll be shocked. It basically had to start from scratch twice after the bacteria went rampant. This IM14 is getting merged into the Fusion 20 (it'll be a full house!), and then converted into a freshwater planted shrimp tank. Super excited, and I'll definitely have a build thread for this FW tank :) 

So... what you're saying is, "Hey that bacteria was fun! Lets do it again!"

• Haha 4
11 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

So... what you're saying is, "Hey that bacteria was fun! Lets do it again!"

The Fusion 20 is already (theoretically) immune! It pretty much got chicken pox twice! Don't jinx me!

• Haha 1
On 8/28/2017 at 3:53 PM, debbeach13 said:

Dam I wish I kept my own journal during the contest and when reviewing for the 1st contest vote. How long do we have to get the votes in?

Midnight Sunday

4 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I need to nominate @mrmikekim for something because he broke his leg and had surgery and I can relate!

Pick a title for his category. Most bum leg?

4 hours ago, stellablue said:

Can we only vote one for each category?? Lol 

Have at it! This is the casual voting section. :)

• Like 2
  • Struggle Bus: @Mariaface.  For obvious reasons :).  But you always had a positive attitude about it which was nice to see.  You persisted :D.

• Best Growth: @spectra.  There's not a lot of time in just 100 days to see growth.  But ya know there had to be growth in those macros.  His tank is so lush and full.

• Best Photography: @coralcousins  Stunning photography that really showcased the tank well.  This was one of my favorites!

• Most Colorful: @SeaFurn  Those stunning purple rocks and shocking green GSP and the beautiful rockflower anemones.  Hands down the winner for me.

• Most Enthusiasm: @Weetabix7 She's like the NR mom.  I think she was in every tank thread I looked at.  Giving advice and encouragement.  You rock :flower:.

• Most GHA/pests: @luu78  Don't get me wrong...that's some gorgeous green algae? or green cyano?  or ??????  I couldn't figure it out and didn't see it mentioned.  The top rocks had some green progression that was definitely noticeable. I debated putting you in the Best Growth category :happy:.

This took awhile, but was fun figuring out during lunch today.  Congrats again to everyone.  You did a great job :).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I need to nominate @mrmikekim for something because he broke his leg and had surgery and I can relate!

haha thanks but looking at your tank i have no excuse....

On 8/28/2017 at 3:08 PM, Mariaface said:

Votes:

• Best Growth: Maybe it's just me, but @spectra's macros really seem to have filled in from when they were first added? The tank fits the 'lush' and 'busy reef garden' criteria here :) 

• Most Enthusiasm:  @SeaFurn. Nothing can get this kid down, right? :P Wonderful job giving us updates, staying positive through anemone troubles, writing a thorough conclusion, and participating in other threads!

what she said exactly

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic