SaltCritters.com

BRS Two Part Questions

ReefSafeSolutions

ReefSafeSolutions

Hey gang,

Got some two part in yesterday.  I mixed up the calcium and alkalinity portions last night and I assume it is ready to use this morning.  I didn't mix the alk a bowl like they suggest, I just mixed it direct in my gallon jug with RODI water.  I don't have any solids at the bottom of the jug, just a few bubbles/foam at the top.

First question:  Do the calcium and alkalinity solutions end up clear after being mixed?  They started cloudy last night but have turned clear.  I assume this is normal.

Second question:  What does the concentration work out to be with these gallon solutions?  I bought the pre-portioned gallon kit and I can't find what the solution concentration is in ppm anywhere.  I'd really rather not guess and check with this stuff but if that's how it works, I guess that's how it works.  I know there's a way to figure out the concentration but I don't know how!  It would be nice to be able to take the total ppm/gallon, divide by total ml, and have ppm/ml to make for easier dosing math.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I begin using this stuff...I plan on manually dosing every day until I get fed up enough to use a couple dosing pumps.

Thanks everyone!

flatlandreefer

Yes they should be clear when mixed. 

Go onto brs website and look look for calculator. You will enter current levels and desired levels and tank size and it will tell you how much you need to add to raise your levels. Test to verify after you dose. 

ReefSafeSolutions

Very cool, I'll look at the calculator.  I should be able to then work backwards and get an idea of what the concentration is.  Thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...
ReefSafeSolutions

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd add to this thread.

The latest question: should I be using the same amount of each additive daily?  Because according to my numbers of calcium/alk consumption, if I use the same amount of each part per day, I'm going to have low calcium.  

I need to bump up about .5 dKH a day and about 10ppm calcium a day.  That works out to roughly 6ml of alk solution a day and 18ml of calcium solution a day.

I've read elsewhere that you're supposed to dose the same amount of each part but that doesn't quite make sense to me.

Thrassian Atoll

Here is a good article on dosing 2 part.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/joejaworski.wordpress.com/2014/05/19/the-right-way-to-use-2-part-additives/amp/

I starting dosing 5ml of each in my 25g tank and am up to 10ml a day right now.  I am not a fan of the calculator.  I would rather underdose than overdose.  Also, the alkalinity and calcium levels you want to achieve should correspond to each other.  Something like this.  

http://thereefuge.com/threads/the-correct-balance-of-d-kh-alkalinity-against-calcium-level.1055/

ReefSafeSolutions

I skimmed over that article, I'll give it a good read when my eyes are a bit fresher.  I also took a look at the chart on thereefuge, interesting.  Looks like my numbers are on par with that chart...it just seems like I'm not dosing correctly.  I know my Alk is being dosed correctly, but adding triple the amount of calcium, according to the calculator, seems weird to me.  Unless it is normal for corals to consume more calcium than alkalinity.  And that's well outside my wheelhouse so hopefully someone can comment on that.

What I'm gathering though, is that I should be dosing the same amount of additive for alk and calc.  Because the directions say at the end to add the magnesium.  (Though, I've read that people don't always do that and just monitor magnesium as they go)