Pod Your Reef

replacing a SQWD

Withers

I'm fed up with my SQWD, so now I need to figure out how to replace it with PVC pipe. Has anyone done this? I just need to know what the best setup would be to give me the best flow. I realize that this is a simple task, but was just curious to see if anyone knew of a good way to get the maximum flow.

Jason

What do you mean by

maximum flow
?

Do you mean more water flow as in volume or as in velocity?

If it were me,I'd plumb it using PVC (no vinyl hose or barbs).

I'd use the diameter pipe that the was used on the pump when it was rated. I'd would avoid using Ts and elbows,use sweeps and Ys instead. If you can't avoid using them use as few as possible. You can use two 45 degree fittings instead of a 90 degree fitting and you will not suffer as much loss or you can use a sweep (if you can find it in the size you are working with) or flexible PVC for even better results. The problem is the plumbing will not be as compact and tidy and you may not have the room for it.

thats just what i was looking for. i didn't want to use a T because i'd figure i'd lose a lot of flow from it, and it wouldn't be any better than the damn SQWD was.

luckily i've got plenty of room, thanks for the response.

Jason

Jason, if you don't mind - what is the problem that you were having with the SQWD? If you posted about it before, I apologize for missing it.

i haven't posted about it before, but my main problem is that i have a mag 7, and once it gets pumped through my SQWD, i can barely notice any water movement. plus the way my tank is set up, i don't think that i'm gaining much from having alternating flow, so i've decided to ditch it.

Jason

maybe, but i'm going to give the guys in my local reef club first dibs on it, i'm more interesting in trading it for frags than selling it.

Archived