Cultivated Reef

Stocking a 60 gallon

ItsJustLauren

ItsJustLauren

Hello!

I am new to the forum but I've seen a lot of good activity and suggestions and was wondering if anyone might be able to give me their input on stocking a 60 gallon tank.

Here is a list of fish I would love to have; this is NOT saying I would like to have ALL of them since I know that isn't possible given the space. Still I would like your help on what things will and won't go together, and what you think would provide a nice variety of color and activity for my tank.

I am primarily looking for high amount of activity and color, and BOLD fish. For instance, I like blue gudgeon dartfish, but I won't put them in my tank because they are far too shy. There will be people by this tank often, it is in a very central location, and we have three cats as well. They won't swat at the tank or touch it or anything but they will be running around the house and might sit and watch for a bit.

The list of fish:

Ocellaris clownfish (I technically have two that were given to me waiting at the pet store I work at. I don't HAVE to take them home, but they would be free, so that could be okay...)

Firefish goby

Midas blenny OR Canary blenny (Can someone tell me any ups/downs of each? They look pretty similar to me besides the Midas maybe getting a tad bigger...)

Flame Angel (Do you think I could do a flame AND a coral beauty? I would prefer a flame if I had to choose, but it'd be neat to be able to do both)

Tailspot Blenny

Talbots Damsel

Kupang Damsel

Valentini Puffer (I know they are listed as not usually reef safe, but there is one at the store I work at that is housed with both corals and hermits and never seems to pick on either)

Black capped Basslet OR Orchid dottyback 

Hectors Goby

Yellow Clown Goby

Neon Blue Goby

Orange stripe prawn goby

Banggai cardinal

Maybe a flasher wrasse?

**I would ideally like the clownfish, midas/canary blenny, flame angel, kupang damsel, valentini puffer, basslet/dottyback, and then one or two gobies or something. So, 8-9ish fish. Is this too much?

I am open to other suggestions as well! I know there are plenty of fish I have never even heard of. This is a list primarily of fish I actually would have access to and be able to easily get and not have to order online, but I am willing to give online a shot as well. 

I would also like to know if I would need to keep any in numbers. I have heard so many different things about firefish and cardinals in particular, whether to keep them singularly, in pairs, or in groups. I don't have any desire for any fish any larger than the ones mentioned in this tank. I think the midas is probably the largest fish on this list, and I am even iffy on him compared to a canary. 

Welcome to NR!  8-9 doesn't sound completely out of the question with a 60g given the fish you mentioned, but really depends on your rock work, flow, etc...   Others with much larger tanks than I have will be able to chime in.  Are you planning on corals too?

Very active community here.

Where are you located?

ItsJustLauren

@cju84 I am planning on having some corals, but I'm not sure about what all I plan to do there yet. I think the fish I listed are primarily reef safe, with the exception of the flame angel and the puffer since they have been known to nip at corals. I am fortunate enough to work at a pet store that primarily specializes in fish, so over half our store is fish tanks full of livestock, and this gives me the opportunity to keep an eye on fish like this to see whether or not they would be good candidates for my tank. The puffer is being housed with hermit crabs and corals right now, and when we get more flame angels in I had planned to pick the most bold/active and least aggressive fish and put a frag or two in with him to see what he did with it and if he'd potentially leave stuff alone. My tank is a pretty strange set-up, I will say that. I included a picture to show you guys, but it is basically a desktop tank; columns on the side attached by an upper horizontal piece, leaving an empty space below for your computer and such. 

I am fairly convinced a dwarf angel would do fine in this, I think the columns are large enough to give it enough swim space, but this is why I don't want any fish larger than that or that need a lot of swim space. It is an interesting shape and I know it is limiting. However, it does provide the interesting shape that sort of allows for multiple territories in a sense, which could also play into what fish can and can't work here. As far as rockwork, there are plenty of hiding spaces. I put the rock in before the sand so it is a stable rock structure that things like gobies and blennies won't be able to topple with burrowing. 

This picture is slightly old; I have since evened out the sand bed since I know it looks high in some parts and low in others, so that has been fixed. I am going to be adding two, potentially four, more power heads before stocking my tank. I will also be adding the skimmer today (I have one rated for 75 gallons; I'd purchased it but a piece broke so I had to return it and am just now getting it set up). 

@Flexin thanks for your input! I hear from most people that multiple dwarf angels won't work, and I am much more interested in the flame. However, I did attach a picture of my tank so you could all see it! I am more wondering if, given the shape of the tank, that it could essentially provide two territories and thus keep the angels from really bugging one another. But either way I honestly would rather have the flame angel and some of the other aforementioned fish than bother with two angels. The unfortunate thing with this tank is that once fish are in it, they will likely be VERY hard to remove, meaning I don't really want to chance whether fish will get along because I likely won't be able to remove anyone once they are in there.

Also, I am located in Kansas ^_^

Tankpic.jpg

• Like 1

That is one of the most unique looking tanks I've ever seen.  Any idea of the dimensions?  

I am jealous where you work and get to interact with different fish/corals everyday!  If I had a larger tank, the first fish I'd get would be a flame angel.  Absolutely love them.

Excited to see how your tank develops.  Make sure you update from time to time - start a thread in the Aquarium Journals section!

ItsJustLauren

@cju84 right? I am very lucky to have it! And I got it for free nonetheless... pretty good deal. Which is good considering I have put that money all back into the tank getting things like the skimmer, rocks, sand, media, etc. Not a cheap hobby, that's for sure.

I am definitely wanting a flame angel, that is one of my very top choices. I think one dwarf angel would definitely be able to thrive in this tank.

As a rectangle it is about 30x46x16, and the center cutout is 20x20x16. So each of the columns is about 30x16x14ish, connected by the middle piece.

It calculates out a little larger than 60 gallons, but the back half of the connecting top column (behind the blue portion) is actually a built in sump area to house my heaters, skimmer, media, and whatever else I need it to hide. So the actual tank display area is around the 60 gallon mark, but the full water volume is closer to 65-70ish.

• Like 1

Very unique tank.  What are the dimension of each side?  Also can the fish swim from one side to the other?

My angel has not bothered any of my corals, and I have a bunch, with one exception.  Pulsing Xena.  Once he got a taste for it, all the ends were gone.  

Also, I've mentioned this in other posts, leathers can grow fast.  I have a Kenya and had a Toadstool.  Both grew very fast and large.  The Toadstool took up a huge space once he got going.  I found another home for him.  The Kenya frags like crazy so you will have them all over and if you don't stay on top of removing them, it will overgrow quickly.  

I've just setup my sump, dry since I don't have the tank or stand yet.  Such a geek, but I had to...  I will post that in my second journal.

Will you have a sump or HOB?

And you did post the dimensions :)  I would only have one angel since they can move back and fourth, unless you cut them off from crossing over.  Very neat tank.  I see why you are thinking so many power heads.

ItsJustLauren

Yeah, right now it has two smaller ones coming out of the main sump area, but I am thinking I will add one on either side to each down further into the column (it gets some flow but very limited) and perhaps one or two to go across the top bar since it is otherwise a complete dead zone... it's an interesting tank but certainly poses some challenges!

Before getting four power heads, I would start with two, one for each side.  Once you see how it flows without a power head you may be able to hit the other side of the tank, change the height of the head where is sits in the tank and get rid of any dead spots.  

Might want to check out fang blennies as well. Very active throughout the water column. Reef safe. Quite curious and bold - as in not skittish or easily frightened. And get along great with pretty much all other fish (except other fang blennies - only one FB per tank unless they're a mated pair).

Awesome tank! 

I had a Midas blenny and loved it. Stand out fish with a good personality. It swims around too. It's one of my favourites.

I'd do 1 angelfish- some are known to nip coral so keep an eye out. 

Clowns for sure. Very fun fish.

I love the valentini puffer, it eats snails and needs particular diet for its teeth. It may go after some coral.

Orchid dotty is supposed to be the more friendly one. 

I love leathers and they are easy to frag which you can sell or trade to stores for credit.

I'd start with 2 powerheads.

I had 4 in a 55g and it was too much.

Check out wavemakers where you can control the flow and type of water movement. 

Jebao rrw or pp models would be good 

The aqamai is a nice one too. It looks pretty cool. 

ItsJustLauren

Alright, I am heavily leaning towards the midas blenny and the flame angel for sure, and my pair of clowns.

I recently read on multiple sites that orchid dottybacks can be kept in groups, and that adding multiple at a time will likely result in a spawning harem. Does anyone have any information/experience on this? I am tempted to rethink my stocking and have an orchid trio.

On 9/7/2017 at 0:47 PM, ItsJustLauren said:

Alright, I am heavily leaning towards the midas blenny and the flame angel for sure, and my pair of clowns.

I recently read on multiple sites that orchid dottybacks can be kept in groups, and that adding multiple at a time will likely result in a spawning harem. Does anyone have any information/experience on this? I am tempted to rethink my stocking and have an orchid trio.

Don't have an experience forming a harem of orchids but I did have a baby one for a while, it was a great fish but sadly it brought ich into my display which then wiped out the rest of my stock. Would definitly consider another one in the future though.

So does everyone think I would be alright to add a flame angel, then?

I have been asking numerous people since there seem to be pretty mixed reviews... most people seem to think it'd do alright but since it does lack the open swim space of, say, a 55 or something that is just a rectangular tank, a few people doubt it would be very happy in there. What do you all think? I understand both sides... the tank is around 60 gallons, but given the shape I can see how that still might not suit it. However, I have a lot of caves for it to swim in with the rocks and it has that open space at the top as well. I personally think while it may not be as happy as it would be in a rectangular tank, it still would be fine since the flame angels I have seen tend to hug the rocks most of the time anyway. A Flame angel is absolutely the #1 fish I would like to have in this tank, but if it won't work then it won't work.

I worked in a lfs for 12 years and serviced tanks and never saw a unique tank like yours.  Its really cool.  Yes, I can see how getting good flow will present a challenge but I am sure you can do it.

I think a midas blenny would love your tank and they have wonderful personalities.  I miss mine since I rehomed it when I got seahorses.

So far here is what I have narrowed my list down to:

1 Ocellaris Clownfish 

1 Flame Angel (I would desperately like to have one, but it definitely requires some thought and I have a lot of yesses and a few no's for opinions so far..)

1 Royal Gramma (over the orchid or the black cap... as much as I love them, there is a striking and bold and social little royal gramma at work that I adore)

1 Valentini puffer (The one at work is my baby; he went through some trauma recently and is blinded in one eye because of it and I have to take my poor angelcakes home ): )

1 Lubbocks wrasse ( still not 100% sold on this but there is a really pretty and social one at work that is best friends with the gramma)

1 Midas Blenny

So so far we are at 6 fish. And then I figure I will probably get a blenny or a goby or two. How is this looking for a stocking list? 

@jesseatam that's an interesting thought... every place online says that you should only keep one per tank to avoid territorial aggression, but I know they change sex so one will become a male if I toss them all in at the same time. Do I just toss them in there and hope they just don't beat the crap out of each other?

I am also somewhat interested in getting a singular blue chromis. I would really like a blue fish to add to this mix, and I am between that and a Kupang damsel, but Chromis seem to have a better personality. Do you think he'd be an alright addition?

Tentative stocking list would be:

Flame angel

Midas blenny

Ocellaris clown

Valentini puffer

Royal gramma

Lubbocks wrasse

Blue chromis

And then probably toss in a goby or two?