Pod Your Reef

HOW NOT TO NEED A WAVEMAKER ON FLUVAL SEA 13

Noinoi24

Hello,

I am setting up my FLUVAL SEA 13. I would like to keep some SPS, maybe 3-4 and mostly soft. but I don't want to use any wavemaker cuz id like to preserve the look and the space of the tank. need your advices please, with pictures will be helpful. Thanks!

35 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Upgrade stock pump, angle one of the return nozzle at sps.  Depending on your rock work, you can also hide a small pump on the backwall

This and maybe add the spin stream from innovative marine to get random flow

1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

Upgrade stock pump, angle one of the return nozzle at sps.  Depending on your rock work, you can also hide a small pump on the backwall

1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

Any suggestions to what pump?

Nano sapiens
38 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

OR HAVE NO CORALS OR FISH

Harry, behave! :P

The Fluval is a 13g rectangular, so it'll need a bit more powerful return pump than a cube shaped tank (I use a 210 gph in my 12g cube and have no difficulties with flow for the less demanding 'SPS' corals).  Not sure what the Fluval stock pump is rated for, but I'd suggest a 250 - 275 gph rated pump and perhaps a rotating nozzle (Hydor or Spinstream).  Be aware that these rotating nozzles do provide good random currents, but also reduce total flow by around 20 - 30%.

• Thanks 1

if you have the tank No, measure the inner diameter of the return chamber the pump sits in. 

the Sicce Syncra Nano's are also very popular.

and you have options to split the return nozzle into two, which would allow you to direct a bit more flow when using a more powerful return pump. :)  

here's an example of a option off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/LOC-LINE-Adjustable-Return-Nozzle-Aquariums/dp/B06X93CMZ4/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_199_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S36XWJ97G6624A6XJXNM

seems they even have kits so you can make it a bit less obtrusive:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/plumbing-help-with-megaflow-overflow-68447.html