ReefCleaners.org

NanoBox Growth: Documenting the NanoBox LED RedSea Reefer

DaveFason

burtbollinger
14 hours ago, Raindog3030 said:

Looks awesome!  If you continue to have no luck with the bubble algae, I would consider researching H2O2 dosing.  After just a few days dosing 1mL per 10 gallons of 3% hydrogen peroxide, we have seen the destruction of the little bit of bubble algae that had started.  Even better, there does not seem to be any adverse effects on our residents!  Good luck and keep fighting the good fight!

so you dose the H202 directly into the tank?

Raindog3030

We sure do!  We began treatment to destroy an invasion of dinoflagellates, but the bubble algae went along with it.  H2O2 dosing and dipping has been in the hobby since the 80s if I am not mistaken.

I use H2O2 for dips, but never dosed it to the tank. Are you worried about wiping out beneficial bacteria? Has anyone ever had a tank re-cycle because of H2O2 dosing?

18 hours ago, DarkMagic said:

I use H2O2 for dips, but never dosed it to the tank. Are you worried about wiping out beneficial bacteria? Has anyone ever had a tank re-cycle because of H2O2 dosing?

No. On my older tanks I dosed ~ 1-2mL a day with no ill effects. I know a few of the industry pros that use this as well. 

Interesting... it seems almost magical... Is the theory that nuisance macro algae is simply more susceptible to it at low doses? When I dip corals, it kills everything including pods and coralline. But it seems like people who are dosing it in their display aren't noticing ill affects to coralline or pods at all. But if anything's going to die, I would expect it to be the single celled bacteria that go first. Any idea what's going on there?

20 minutes ago, DarkMagic said:

Interesting... it seems almost magical... Is the theory that nuisance macro algae is simply more susceptible to it at low doses? When I dip corals, it kills everything including pods and coralline. But it seems like people who are dosing it in their display aren't noticing ill affects to coralline or pods at all. But if anything's going to die, I would expect it to be the single celled bacteria that go first. Any idea what's going on there?

Honestly it is over my head. I use it in both planted and reef tanks. :)

11 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Honestly it is over my head. I use it in both planted and reef tanks. :)

I've read to use food grade H2O2. What have you been using? Is there any truth to food grade over the typical "brown bottle" stuff?

Raindog3030
8 hours ago, JcSH2o said:

I've read to use food grade H2O2. What have you been using? Is there any truth to food grade over the typical "brown bottle" stuff?

We've been using the "brown bottle stuff" from the pharmacy section.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

It has been a while and recently have changed the tank up a bit! I am gearing up for my Asia trip in a week so I took a few pictures and a quick video. 

UPDATES :

• Quad switched to Duo.
  • Dare I say less light has created better growth? More on that later.
  • Still battling aptasia and bubble algae but getting much better!
  • Lost my second cardinal fish. :(
  • Took macro reactor offline - Honestly to much work for me to clean, empty, cut, etc. 
  • Coral health and coloration have been off the charts. 
  • I accidentally had a eight day blackout - Only coral effected was Walt Disney ( lost some pink ).

Video :

Pictures : These are all actinic 

NBR42518-12NBR42518-14NBR42518-13NBR42518-17NBR42518-15NBR42518-16

Enjoy,

-Dave

• Like 3

Congrats! I’ve always though more light the better... I guess I’ll stick with my Tide instead of going Duo since I’m only keeping Zoas and Euphelia... any thoughts?

-ReX 

I have programmed your settings as posted in the beginning of this thread, but I cut the intensity across-the-board by 25%. Would you say this is a fair starting point for a newly installed quad?

It replaced a Current Orbit IC and oh my sweet goodness is it blowing me away already... 

On 4/25/2018 at 4:05 PM, Noinoi24 said:

Congrats! I’ve always though more light the better... I guess I’ll stick with my Tide instead of going Duo since I’m only keeping Zoas and Euphelia... any thoughts?

-ReX 

There is a sweet spot. You can give corals to much light which will lead to slower growth. I believe you only have a IM10, Tide is more than enough. 

On 4/28/2018 at 1:38 PM, JcSH2o said:

I have programmed your settings as posted in the beginning of this thread, but I cut the intensity across-the-board by 25%. Would you say this is a fair starting point for a newly installed quad?

It replaced a Current Orbit IC and oh my sweet goodness is it blowing me away already... 

Honestly stick with the stock settings. You should be fine. 

• 1 month later...

The good. The bad. The ugly. 

Good :

• Corals looks amazing. Growth slowed down only due to me being lazy. 
  • Equipment is all working great. 
  • Switching to the Duo, do I dare say it has made this tank look better!?
  • Bubble algae is still there but starting to go away! 

Bad :

• I was lazy and forgot to do water changes for some time. Feeding heavily and not doing a darn thing. 

Ugly :

• Aptasia & green film algae. No idea what the algae is but I know it will be gone soon with some elbow grease. You can see it in the video and photos. 

Overall the tank is doing wonderful. I like to be honest with what is going on in the tank. If you have any questions just holler! 

Video : 1080

nanobox6318nanobox6318-2nanobox6318-14nanobox6318-11nanobox6318-12nanobox6318-16nanobox6318-6nanobox6318-17nanobox6318-10nanobox6318-4nanobox6318-3nanobox6318-8nanobox6318-13nanobox6318-9nanobox6318-7nanobox6318-5nanobox6318-15

Enjoy! 

-Dave

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

We've had numerous power outages and this weekend took a toll on the Walt Disney. I small branch started to STN but the tank is back on track. 

NBRReeferNBRReefer-9NBRReefer-10NBRReefer-8NBRReefer-7NBRReefer-6NBRReefer-5NBRReefer-4NBRReefer-3NBRReefer-2

Enjoy! 

-Dave

• Like 1
On 7/25/2018 at 8:13 PM, PshThisGuy said:

Nice update! Too bad about the power outages. Reminds me that I need to invest in a generator. You still doing the same feeding regiment?

I have been feeding about the same. I admit, I do miss a few days here and there. I have been blown away with the Brightwell products. 

• 2 months later...

The tank is chugging along. I have been experimenting with a on/off Duo for the past two months. I want to see the difference between running one spectrum versus a blue-14k-blue. Everything has responded well until I went out of town and forgot to set the timer. The tank was without light for eight days but the only victim is a bleached out Walt Disney. 

Pictures from last night. 

NanoBox Reefer Corals

These zoas have taken over. They are killing the meteor shower!

NanoBox Reefer CoralsNanoBox Reefer CoralsNanoBox Reefer CoralsNanoBox Reefer CoralsNanoBox Reefer CoralsNanoBox Reefer CoralsNanoBox Reefer Corals

Enjoy! 

-Dave

• Like 2

Bummer about the WD, but otherwise the tank is looking awesome!! As always you pictures are killer. Just curious, what has happened as the cyphastrea has grown up against the zoas? I'm about to that happen. Stupid cyphastrea is straight up tanking over my tank. 

1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

Bummer about the WD, but otherwise the tank is looking awesome!! As always you pictures are killer. Just curious, what has happened as the cyphastrea has grown up against the zoas? I'm about to that happen. Stupid cyphastrea is straight up tanking over my tank. 

Thank you. I think it will hang in there but I defiantly did not help. Thanks on the photo comment. These were quick stills, I will grab more this weekend. 

As for the cyphastrea, it normally kills anything in its path. However these palys/zoas have put the peoples elbow down. We shall see! 

• Christopher Marks changed the title to NanoBox Growth: Documenting the NanoBox LED RedSea Reefer