SaltCritters.com

NanoBox Growth: Documenting the NanoBox LED RedSea Reefer

DaveFason

On 9/28/2017 at 8:22 PM, Noinoi24 said:

Tried it with my iPhone 7 Plus with this new orange lens I bought, it’s still orange...   :( 

48E1470D-C336-4E15-B2BF-950A72187077.jpeg

2AC7E271-5E39-46D2-912B-D2C6770A0655.jpeg

Don't use that. Go to the link in the first post and buy the set. 

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Had a couple minutes to snap four macros. 

Orange Scoli : This thing is that nuts. Look at the "yellow" stripes coming in...

nanobox-2

Rainbow Chalice : Growing and looking better and better!

nanobox-3

Micros : These are starting to form black lines. It looks pretty gnarly

nanobox

Walt Disney : Those yellow polyps :D

nanobox-4

More soon! 

-D

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Update time! 

Good : 

• Corals are showing increased coloration weekly and growth has been above average
  • Current light has been running no whites with no slow downs - Proving a no white array can work
  • I currently have nine fish in the tank and they are providing extra nutrients that I think contribute to better coloration/health of corals
  • NYOS Skimmer is preforming above and beyond - 3-4 days with thick nasty skimmate 

Bad :

• I have a bubble algae outbreak - Manually removing weekly and plan on contacting a few people to see what can help
  • Bryopsis - This has been popping up here and there and driving me nuts - I purchased Fluconazole to see if it can create miracles like people state
  • Six Line Jump - Six lines are one of my favorite fish. For the worst mine randomly jumped after a water change
  • Dead spots - The RedSea 170 has two corners that I trouble providing flow - Looking into the new Grye 2K to add 

Future :

• Possibly add a tang OR six line
  • Install AquaMaxx Algae reactor - More on this later
  • Additional pump 

Setosa is now growing fast and steady - The acro next to it has been looking terrible for months and FINALLY regaining it looks on new growth - Favias are spot on

nanoboxreefer103017-4

Chalices growing quickly now. I plan on transferring to larger plugs/plates :

nanoboxreefer103017-5

Walt Disney : Coloring well and getting thicker - This receives the most light and flow

nanoboxreefer103017-2

Acro starting to color up :

nanoboxreefer103017

Top down - You can see the yellow markings coming in the scoli - New growth everywhere :

nanoboxreefer103017-3

Link to Fluconazole :

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/

Reactor : Thank you @Marine Depot

Newproduct-15Newproduct-14Newproduct-13Newproduct-12Newproduct-11

Thanks guys! 

-Dave

• Like 1
23 hours ago, DaveFason said:
  • Six Line Jump - Six lines are one of my favorite fish. For the worst mine randomly jumped after a water change
  •  

The six line died or you put it back in and survived?

Do you dose anything?  Kalk, Two part, NOPOX, ...  Or just do water changes?  Whats the water change regime?  What salt?

are you lights still at the same settings?

if not, care to post up some screen shots of the morning/midday/evening settings?

ive been considering dropping my whites way down and upping the blues/UV lately but i'm not sure how much

4 hours ago, rsucre said:

The six line died or you put it back in and survived?

Do you dose anything?  Kalk, Two part, NOPOX, ...  Or just do water changes?  Whats the water change regime?  What salt?

Died. 

Only thing I dose is Colors and Reef Roids ( Polyp Lab ). Water changes are ~2-4 weeks ( when I remember ). 

36 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

are you lights still at the same settings?

if not, care to post up some screen shots of the morning/midday/evening settings?

ive been considering dropping my whites way down and upping the blues/UV lately but i'm not sure how much

Morning and night are all the same as midday but no mint. Morning and Night lengths 180 minutes - 60 minute ramp

Midday :

37384356494_fee3b64f6a_b.jpg

i'm definitely going to knock my whites down to around 20-22% for a month and see how things react.  i got it up to almost 30% at one point, and i saw increased growth from a few things but overall colors where becoming paler...and over the past month or so growth has seemed to stop in those corals.  we all know too much light can dull or even bleach corals,  but can too much light stop growth?   i decided to slowly back off on my whites and i'm at about 25% now and thinking i want to go further to see what happens.

i have my blues/UV at 85% at peak and around 75% morning and evening, with whites at 5-7% for morning and evening.  i may even wipe out the whites completely for the evening setting.

damn Nanobox and all it's options!  i've been reading up on light spectrums and playing with it for 9 months now, wondering if i'll ever know when it's 'perfect' :D

14 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i'm definitely going to knock my whites down to around 20-22% for a month and see how things react.  i got it up to almost 30% at one point, and i saw increased growth from a few things but overall colors where becoming paler...and over the past month or so growth has seemed to stop in those corals.  we all know too much light can dull or even bleach corals,  but can too much light stop growth?   i decided to slowly back off on my whites and i'm at about 25% now and thinking i want to go further to see what happens.

i have my blues/UV at 85% at peak and around 75% morning and evening, with whites at 5-7% for morning and evening.  i may even wipe out the whites completely for the evening setting.

damn Nanobox and all it's options!  i've been reading up on light spectrums and playing with it for 9 months now, wondering if i'll ever know when it's 'perfect' :D

Too much light can definitely cause photo inhibition, although it typically takes a bit of light to do so. I doubt that it is the white channel specifically that is causing your issues, it's likely due to increases overall light intensity.

Interesting experiment that you're running here, Dave. Without a doubt, LEDs, as the sole source of lighting, can and will grow sps. 

I don't like overall blue looks to my tanks and have always ran whites. My current setup runs 76 cool white and 84 on the blues (B, DB, RY). Older LED (Vega Color) and there are hotspots in the tank, but even at 770 PAR, the sps on that spot just glows. I've been growing some high end pieces at ~10,000k - 12,000k (I set manual WB at 10,000k on camera but they come into PS at 9,100k, so I know there's a tad of compensation) for awhile now just to see how their colors do with whiter lights.

Oh, for your algae, you can also try AlgaeFix. Just be aware that your shrimps might be lethargic initially and you'll have to pull your snails out for ~5 weeks. That stuff did wonders for my tank, taking out both bryopsis and bubble algae. 

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

This may be trivial... But I'm curious if you would post a FT shot showing how the light looks above the tank. Mount, height, etc... Especially since by my reckoning the light hangs over each side of the tank a few inches... I'd just like to see how the 2 look together in operation...

The tank is chugging along! Corals are colorful, growing and looking better each day. However not everything is perfect. I had a run of Bryopsis but has now been treated with Flunco ( thanks @teenyreef ). I do have aptasia and bubble popping up everywhere which will be dealt with in the coming weeks. 

Video :

Setosa - One of my favorite corals. This is thriving in this tank. 

NanoBoxDec-16

Favia Garden - Every favia is encusting nicely with weekly growth. 

NanoBoxDec-15NanoBoxDec-14

Walt Disney - Is holding color and getting thick. 

NanoBoxDec-10

Sunset Monti - The polyps almost take over the base! 

NanoBoxDec-17

Top Down :

NanoBoxDec-12

Enjoy! 

-Dave

8 hours ago, JcSH2o said:

This may be trivial... But I'm curious if you would post a FT shot showing how the light looks above the tank. Mount, height, etc... Especially since by my reckoning the light hangs over each side of the tank a few inches... I'd just like to see how the 2 look together in operation...

I am not sure what you mean by hanging off? It is a 24" unit over a 24" tank. The light is ~ 4" from the water line.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, DaveFason said:

The tank is chugging along! Corals are colorful, growing and looking better each day. However not everything is perfect. I had a run of Bryopsis but has now been treated with Flunco ( thanks @teenyreef ). I do have aptasia and bubble popping up everywhere which will be dealt with in the coming weeks. 

Video :

Setosa - One of my favorite corals. This is thriving in this tank. 

NanoBoxDec-16

Favia Garden - Every favia is encusting nicely with weekly growth. 

NanoBoxDec-15NanoBoxDec-14

Walt Disney - Is holding color and getting thick. 

NanoBoxDec-10

Sunset Monti - The polyps almost take over the base! 

NanoBoxDec-17

Top Down :

NanoBoxDec-12

Enjoy! 

-Dave

I am not sure what you mean by hanging off? It is a 24" unit over a 24" tank. The light is ~ 4" from the water line.

Thanks! For some reason the dimensions I had listed it at 20l x 20w x 24h... 

• Like 1

where did you get the Setosa from?  i had a small frag in the early days of my tank that didn't survive.  it is one of my favorite corals as well, i'd like to try again now that things are more stable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2017 at 9:27 PM, gone_PHiSHin said:

where did you get the Setosa from?  i had a small frag in the early days of my tank that didn't survive.  it is one of my favorite corals as well, i'd like to try again now that things are more stable.

Joe Knows Reefs

This is why we take photos. Late August to early December. 

RedSeaAug-6NanoBoxDec-12

A few interesting things to look at. 

Miami Hurricane vs. Mummy Eye - The MH grows considerably faster. It is not folding into each other! 

Setosa - The growth is exploding

Zoas - Red ones in the middle decided to melt. The Eagle eyes in the up right corner receive an insane amount of light. They melted on the top but are growing incredibly fast down the other side of the rock 

Favias - Cant stop won't stop! 

Ugly SPS in top back right - This changes colors weekly. The growth has been very good but trying to dial the color in. 

Enjoy! 

-Dave

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Update time! Now that the tank has been running close to a year I can confidently say that LEDs are here to stay. The coloring, growth and health has been phenomenal with little set backs. What have I learned? 

1. Quit adjusting your light. Lock down one setting and roll with it for a few months. Constant adjustment is not good! 
  2. Water changes are key for nano tanks. With the growing popularity of supplement additive/no water change methods I believe water changes are more beneficial and more simple. The constant testing, adjusting, etc can make tank chores a hassle. A 5-10g water change will add the necessary elements needed. Pick a good salt! I am currently using BrightWell Aquatics NeoMarine mixed to 1.026. If you are using a local stores water ask them what they mix it too. I found most only mix to 1.023. 
  3. Feed your corals and fish. I was guilty for a time period for not doing this. I now add this to my morning ritual. 
  4. FLOW! Currently I have a MP40 ( 80% ), RW-4 ( 100% ) and Aquamai ( 100% ) running in the tank. Gentle random flow is needed. The more dead spots, the more festering detritus there is. Pumps are affordable now so look at adding an extra. 
  5. Do not worry about one coral looking bad. If the entire tank looks good, ride it out. One acro behind the Setosa has never looked well. I did not panic or make changes. I finally removed it and gave to another reefer. 
  6. Keep your hands out of the tank as much as possible! 

Current coral food regiment. I feed this in the morning before my breakfast. It takes all of 2 minutes. Use a small container and add tank water. Add the following and toss in a high flow area. 

1. BrightWell ReefSnow - Half Cap 
  2. BrightWell Reef Blizzard - S - One spoon 
  3. BrightWell Reef Blizzard - L - One spoon
  4. Brightwell MicroBac 7 - Half Cap 
  5. Brightwell - Coral Amino - Full Dropper 

Feb 14th : 

topdowncolorfar

Sept 15th. 

redsea91517-5

Dec 31st

NanoBoxJanMore-12

Sept 14th :

NBR090517-2

Dec 27th :

NanoBoxJan-13

Sept 4th : I did remove the acro behind the Setosa 

NBR090517-3

Dec 30th :

NanoBoxJanMore-10

July 4th :

waltdisney

Aug 27th :

redsea82817-6

Dec 30th :

NanoBoxJanMore-9

Current FTS :

NanoBoxJan-15

Enjoy and more too come! 

-Dave

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, markalot said:

Looks fantastic! The two tone setosa is incredible and the tenuis ... I'm not even going to try another, bad luck for me. :D

Thanks. The Setosa stays either really orange or vibrant not real orange. The tenuis ( Walt Disney ) is a knock out. 

More acros will be added this week. ~4-5 new guys. :D

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Thanks. The Setosa stays either really orange or vibrant not real orange. The tenuis ( Walt Disney ) is a knock out. 

More acros will be added this week. ~4-5 new guys. :D

It's about time this tank gets more acros. That mountain top looks very empty. :D

• Christopher Marks changed the title to NanoBox Growth: Documenting the NanoBox LED RedSea Reefer