ReefCleaners.org

Another dead Hermit Crab with pics

I'm Batman

nanoreefer20

It could be a molt but not too sure. Someone else can help me on this one. Molts usually have a more white to translucent back while yours look more fleshy. Have all of the hermit grabs you have looked like this? 

What is your tank like?

• Like 1

The molt is usually translucent.... this is what my tank is like... 

20 minutes ago, tashayar said:

Looks like a molt to me.

Unless they molt outside of their shell then crawl back to a random shell (which I've never seen them do) this doesn't look like a molt...

Here's a pic of this one from tonight under the scope... it appears to either have had its eyes eaten off the stalks, or it is in fact a molt...

IMG_2416.thumb.JPG.ea475f4385a8167cfaca0046807fcbcc.JPG

I'm thinking this time it is a molt... I'm sure you can understand the panic after it happened once you're always on the lookout lol.

REEFreefLJS85

I know this is a silly question but what are you topping your tank off with? My crabs use to do the same thing when I first got in the hobby. I didnt know what I was doing. Comes to find out I was topping off with saltwater instead of fresh. When that change my crabs stop dying. 

• Like 1

Looks a lot like a molt to me.  I thought both of my scarlets had died when i was basting off the rocks and had 2 what i thought bodies float to the front of the tank.  Was happy to see them scurry out at feeding time the next day.

• Like 1
cfaye@Delaware

I just started looking at this, not sure of what else you have in the tank. You might want to post your water parameters so members can take a look if you have not done so. I also have not read the other threads yet, I'm sorry.

Do you have extra shells in tank, if they out grow their shells they will die.

Do you feed them, I find that they need extra food, like algae wafers. Please forgive me, just started reading and I'm also a newbie ( noob ).

• Like 1

Plenty of extra shells... been running saltwater for 4 years now... topping off with RO

Salinty 1.0255

Calcium 420

PH 8.2

dkh 9

Mag 1440

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5

I've had hermits molting for years now... 

The other day I had my zebra hermit munching on a red tip hermit, and this was the second one I found so it alarmed me. 

Im pretty sure based off the microscope investigation that this was a molt. The first one was definitely murdered!!

• Thanks 1
cfaye@Delaware

I use Hikari Tropical Algae Wafers the sinking type. Any algae food is ok, I can get this at my LFS, also Petco has some saltwater crab food that looks ok, have not ordered yet. It is online, my store does not carry it.  Wow that's a lot of crabs.....yep try feeding some extra food.....but then you have to watch your water chemistry ????