Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

anemone shrimp and crabs

Friendly

looking for pairing suggestions for small anemone's (or at least, slow growing one's, so I can get a little one) and crabs or shrimp that it would/could host? 

tank will be a 2.5 gallon pico jar with a 5 gallon bucket sump. 

yes...hence I want an anemone that's very very small to start. It would be fragged or moved on to something bigger when the time is right. 

the volume of the bucket sump would help though. I've already found bucket options that are 15 or 20 gallons, if i so chose. why? just because! :P 

that said, ricordea is a shroom, not an anemone, and according to wiki, related to stony corals.  :huh:

Porcelain crab (Porcellana sayana)! They are a trip to watch feed with their little "catcher's mitts" and and will actively scavenge algae and leftovers. They are completely reef safe and come in green, blue, or red and white with blue accents. I had one years ago that my saddle anemone hosted, along with a paired Percula couple. They got along fine.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Oldsalt01 said:

Porcelain crab (Porcellana sayana)! They are a trip to watch feed with their little "catcher's mitts" and and will actively scavenge algae and leftovers. They are completely reef safe and come in green, blue, or red and white with blue accents. I had one years ago that my saddle anemone hosted, along with a paired Percula couple. They got along fine.

yes, that's the one I'm seriously considering. and depending how my corals, etc can be laid out, perhaps an anemone shrimp. 

is there such a thing as an anemone snail? LOL! B)  

As for the anemone, don't worry, it'll move itself around until it finds a place IT'S comfortable. Trust me, you won't have much input as to where it's going to end up. If you try fragging it, I don't think it'll be very happy.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

An RFA would probably fit.  Maybe not full grown.  I have a white porcelain crab and a white spot anemone shrimp that share my RFA.  I bought all 3 at J&L Aquatics.  The anemone has grown to about 4" across in the last year.

fishfreak0114

I think I bought mine at about 2"  They seem to grow at a decent rate, but I do feed mine regularly so that could be a contributing factor.

well, I won't be unkind, I want everything to thrive...just be measured, or acknowledge I'll be making a lot of stocking changes as time goes on.  LOL! 

• Like 1
On 8/24/2017 at 9:36 PM, Friendly said:

yes...hence I want an anemone that's very very small to start. It would be fragged or moved on to something bigger when the time is right. 

the volume of the bucket sump would help though. I've already found bucket options that are 15 or 20 gallons, if i so chose. why? just because! :P 

that said, ricordea is a shroom, not an anemone, and according to wiki, related to stony corals.  :huh:

Yes, I am well aware that ricordea is not a true anemone. I would not recommend a true anemone at all for that size tank for someone with your limited experience, especially since there is no commensal anemone creatures that even need an anemone to thrive in this hobby.  It seems like you are doing all the legwork in reading up and I applaud you for that, but I would wager for anenome-soup If you tried to frag something like a bubble tip that often.  

Possibly a maxi mini would do, but I still say 2.5 is way too small of real estate.  Just my opinion.