Top Shelf Aquatics

ADA-120P Reef

tmc1313

16 hours ago, DaveFason said:

I am going to need more FTS shots with the light. 

The thick stag coral on the right, what is that?

-Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure what kind of stag it is. I bought it about 6 years ago as a browned out "terd" to put into my new setup at the time. After a few months in the tank it turned that amazing blue color. As for the current setup, I'll start by saying the new light is fantastic. Right now, that's about the only thing that it is. It's always tough moving an established tank into a new setup and I'm experiencing that now. The once huge beautiful blue stag has basically been reduced to a couple sticks and the base. It keeps RTN'ing on me from branch to branch. I'm trying to stay ahead of it by cutting it back below the tissue loss, but it's been a struggle and I'm almost down to nothing. We'll see if I can save what's left. All I need is a tiny piece to survive and grow back. All parameters I've checked indicate stability, but SPS tanks can be fickle. I'm just chalking it up to the tank being so new (new lighting, 1/4 of the rock work, new sand bed etc....).  I'm confident things will be fine, might just take a while. I'll take a new FTS to show you what things look like. Despite all the losses I think things still look decent.  I also think if I didn't have the trouble in the very beginning with that cracked stand leg, the coral wouldn't have been so stressed to begin with. Anyway, I will never give up!! These sticks will be great again, EVENTUALLY.

• Like 1
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:17 AM, silvertoe said:

Oh man, these tanks make me tingle in all the right places. Bravo!

I agree, I have no regrets about spending the extra money plus having it shipped cross country. The craftsmanship is top notch on these tanks. The seams are flawless and the glass is as clear as can be with a nice beveled edge. I've had some of the less expensive tanks in this category and although they are nice I still think ADA is a step above. It's everything I have read about and so far has met my expectations. I only wish they made even larger ones, although my bank account is happy they don't. :D

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:21 PM, pompeyjohn said:

This is my favorite rank right now. Absolutely inspirational.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:31 PM, Justind823 said:

Really wonderful looking tank. Following along, looking forward to some updates!

Thanks for the compliments, I have a few things I need to update and document about this new setup, but overall, all is well. I hope to get some new pics up later this week. Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a quick update for documentation purposes. So needless to say my tank transfer was a total disaster from the beginning. I saved a total of 3 corals (so sad), but that's just how it goes sometimes. So at the moment I've restocked and all is happy, but my little reef is not much to look at at the moment. I still have high hopes for this tank, so let's start the humble photo beginnings. 

Small frags and white putty everywhere. I had just cleaned the glass so the couple of pics I'm posting are not so clear, my apologies.

Thanks for looking

20180201_194402.jpg

20180201_194207.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Dang, what went wrong with the transfer? Just wondering so I can make sure it doesn't happen to me when I transfer soon.

Tank still looks great though, I think. 

I've done transfers before with no issues, but this time things went differently. I didn't notice the new stand had a broken leg until I had the old tank completely disassembled. It took two days to get a new leg and the corals sat in buckets and coolers the whole time (without heat, a couple had flow). As you can imagine, they were severely stressed. Then I changed out all of the sand, which I've never done before. I think it made the new tank go through a cycle that just wiped out everything that was already stressed out. Sooooo, back to the drawing board.

• 1 month later...

I have a small update on the ADA reef. I recently purchased and installed a diffuser on my 36" ATI hybrid. It was a gamble because I wasn't sure if it would work or not. The tank is positioned in the dining room, but can be seen from the family room where we sit and watch TV. The LED glare was noticeable and bothered me quite a bit when sitting down. Even positioning the light at an angle I couldn't fully take the glare away. I contacted Dave (Nanobox) about a diffuser,  but he doesn't sell anything for the larger units that he builds. So I did some research and found a company that sells among other things lighting diffusers. It wasn't cheap because I had to purchase and entire 8 foot sheet, but I had it cut down to size and have a lot of extra material. I installed it last night and took some par numbers. To my surprise I only had a drop off in par of about 14%. Being that I wasn't running the lights at 100% this is not an issue and I just cranked them up a bit until I got back that 14% I had lost. Time will tell, but I think I am really going to like having this installed. I think it looks pretty good and maybe I'm crazy, but it also seems to smooth out the shimmer lines making it look more natural. Here are a couple quick pics I took last night. I will try and take more tonight and post later.

20180306_195650.jpg

20180306_195208.jpg

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

It really looks nice! Are you running the T5s at all? 

Dave, I am running two ATI true actinic T5's. So, overall I don't think they do too much except maybe act as a "filler" so to speak. In that photo they had turned off already. The whole plan all along is to see what I can accomplish and grow with these V3 array's. No complaints so far. I like:D

I also wanted to point out that in the photo above of just the diffuser on the chair, that it is much more transparent than that. In that picture it still has the protective white film on it before removal.

• 3 months later...

Update time. So in the last few months I've added a bunch of new pieces. Some have done really well, others have not. I will post some FTS later this week. The only other thing that's new is I've transferred my 12 array ATI retro into a new housing that is longer, but 6" smaller in width from front to back. I had a new/old coralife HQI fixture that was sitting around, so I gutted it, painted it and transferred all the guts of the nanobox over into the new fixture. It actually worked out really nice and I'm happy with it. Here are a few photos.

20180605_190406.jpg

20180605_190815.jpg

20180603_112601.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi fellow reefers

Time for some updated photos of some of my corals and a FTS as well. Things have settled down and the corals are finally starting to encrust and color up. Still a very long way to go, but that's part of the fun, watching something grow and fill in from nothing. Hopefully in time, frags will turn to colonies and it will look like a full blown tiny reef. All pics were taken with my cell. Not the best quality, but they are mainly to represent growth progress, so please forgive. Photography is not my strong suit. Maybe, in time I'll get better. Thanks for looking and I'll update again in a few months.

20180724_210705.jpg

20180724_201356.jpg

20180724_201501.jpg

20180724_201558.jpg

20180724_201642.jpg

20180724_201902.jpg

20180724_202012.jpg

20180724_202228.jpg

20180724_202348.jpg

20180724_202516.jpg

20180724_202621.jpg

20180724_202743.jpg

20180724_203605.jpg

20180724_203809.jpg

20180724_204113.jpg

20180724_212039.jpg20180724_204327.jpg

20180724_215435.jpg

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Chris,

I dont have any new photos right now. The last pic was a quick FTS for documentation. As soon as I get some free time, the plan is to take a lot  more pics of individual corals with a new FTS. You're right, I've added a bunch more pieces and (knocking on wood), everything has been doing really well. The Maxima is also doing great and gaining in size . Hopefully, updates will be coming soon. Thanks for looking.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I was just messing around snapping a few shots  and wanted to try and capture an end to end pic showing the tank lengthwise.  I thought this one came out OK. Unfortunately, it was right after I fed the tank some yummy flake food so I captured that as well. That's what all those floaties are in case you were wondering.

LRM-EXPORT-219901733911990-20190415-2138