ReefCleaners.org

ADA-120P Reef

tmc1313

All, this is the start of my new build. It's an ADA-120P (65 gallon) downsize/transfer from my current 120 gallon. Although, it's smaller in size, I consider it an upgrade in terms of overall quality of equipment. The equipment list is as follows with pictures to come.

Tank = ADA-120P (65 gallons) Low Iron glass

Overflow = X-Aqua

ATO = Tunze 3155

Lighting =  36" Nanobox ATI hybrid (12 led array's flanked by two T5's)

Stand = Customized server converted to stand

Flow = Maxspect Gyre (x2) with controller

Dosing = GHL doser 2.0 with custom dosing containers

Sump = Bashsea mano

Return pump = Eheim

Heater = Finnex with digital controller

Substrate = Tropic eden reef flakes

More to come..............

Pic of my current setup:

20161230_180532.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 3

Your current tank looks great!  Why are you downsizing?

I like those X-Aqua overflows. Very sleek. You'll have to let us know if you get that wave action that they talk about with those. 

Following!

18 hours ago, knd107 said:

Following, thats lot of light.... I think 

Yes, it's lot's of light, but I don't think I'll be running them 100%. One thing is for sure, I shouldn't have any shadowing issues whatsoever.

18 hours ago, hersheyb said:

wow love the aquascape!

17 hours ago, niQo said:

Looks very promising!

15 hours ago, samnaz said:

Lots of good stuff. Following.

Thanks all, I should have water in this and everything transferred over by the end of next week. Fingers crossed, it all goes smoothly.

11 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Your current tank looks great!  Why are you downsizing?

I like those X-Aqua overflows. Very sleek. You'll have to let us know if you get that wave action that they talk about with those. 

Following!

Thanks, I'm downsizing for a few reasons. For one, I've always wanted a rimless tank. I really love how they look. Rimless tanks, if done right, just kind of look like they're floating to me. Secondly, my 120 gallon being 24" deep and wide has always been kind of a pain to clean being on a high stand and the width stuck out from the wall more than I would like it to. In addition, I just really love ADA tanks. The silicone and high clarity glass are just fantastic. As far as the X-aqua's go, the install went really well. I like the low profile look. I don't think I'll get much wave action because I normally don't run a high flow return, but we'll see. When I did the leak test, it was minimal, but if I go with a stronger return pump I think it would be noticeable.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

When building this light I thought about using it to tan. :P

Tank looks great and look forward to the progression. 

-Dave

Thanks Dave, and the whole tank will be relying on NANOBOX for lighting!! I wanted a lot of light with no shadowing and you've given me that. The rest of the husbandry is up to me. Should be a fun ride!:D

• 3 weeks later...

New update...... First look

Well, the tank transfer was going smoothly until I noticed the new stand had a cracked leg, AFTER I had everything taken down from the old tank. It took 4 days to get a new leg and needless to say the corals took a huge hit. Most sat in various buckets and containers without heat or flow for the whole time until the new leg arrived. The coral that did survive are NOT happy and pretty much completely browned out at the moment. If they survive, I'm pretty confident I can get them back to their former glory as I've been through these types of scenario's before. As long as I can give what's left some stability, all should be well. I can look at it as an opportunity to get some new frags that I've wanted, but didn't have the room for before. My reef is not so beautiful at the moment, but I'm confident it will get there once again. So, here a couple quick pics (lights out), that I took this morning before work.

Thanks for looking...

FTS:

20170911_092622.jpg

20170911_074818.jpg

Under the hood:

20170911_092749.jpg

20170911_092856.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:39 AM, SeaFurn said:

How are things looking now?

Hi, sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was on vacation and have just returned this week. Things are back on track. Everything that survived the move has gotten color back, except "big blue", my staghorn. It's always been my most resilient piece, but this time I'm not so sure. I'm just trying to keep the stability and hope it bounces back, time will tell. On a side note, I talked my wife into taking a 3 hour drive up to Orlando last week to visit World Wide corals and I must say I was extremely impressed. Their two show tanks were phenomenal and the fish and coral were some of the healthiest I've seen. All I can say is true professionals, and it shows they love what they do. I ordered a nice Chalice from them that I'll be getting tomorrow. The tank still has a long way to go, but it will get there. After being away I need to clean the glass and then I'll take a couple updated pics to post.

• Like 2

No worries. Hope the vacation was good. I'd love to go visit WWC sometime. It sounds like a class operation. 

Are the X-Aqua's still working out for you? 

Definitely get some pics up sometime - it's an awesome tank! 

3 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

No worries. Hope the vacation was good. I'd love to go visit WWC sometime. It sounds like a class operation. 

Are the X-Aqua's still working out for you? 

Definitely get some pics up sometime - it's an awesome tank! 

The x-aqua's are good, but they weren't as quiet as I was hoping so I had to modify it a bit and now it's completely silent. I really like how I can just pop the screen covers off for cleaning as opposed to a fixed overflow box.

• Like 1

Took a couple quick pics tonight. Things are slowly starting to color back up. I'm still waiting for my stag to turn blue again. It's not dead so I'll just keep on waiting. In the mean time i've added a couple new frags with a few more on order. The tank was still a little cloudy after a glass cleaning, but here are a couple photos for documentation.

20171020_205423.jpg

20171020_205740.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
9 hours ago, samnaz said:

Wow, incredible really. Aquascaping on point! 

What is the piece on the far left? Never seen anything like that, it's spectacular.. 

Thank you!

That piece is the blue stag that's not blue at the moment. If you go back to my very first post of my previous tank you can see it standing tall and proud (and blue). It was under halides in that tank and now leds, so this is a good test to see if I can get it to color back up. It's not brown anymore, so it is starting to change color. I'm just not sure what that final color will be yet.

Hey, awesome tank! I was wondering which ehiem return pump you are using. I'm having trouble finding a decent pump that will fit in the return pump compartment of my mano sump. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. 

13 hours ago, Gmcc14 said:

Hey, awesome tank! I was wondering which ehiem return pump you are using. I'm having trouble finding a decent pump that will fit in the return pump compartment of my mano sump. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. 

Hi thanks,

I had the same trouble as you. I think the mano sump is great, but the chamber for the return pump is super tiny. I ended up reversing the order of the sump. My return pump is where the drain/filter sock would be and the return section is now my drain section. It actually works out pretty well. You can see it in the picture I posted in one of my posts from September 11.

Hi Dave,

Thanks, I'm running the light at:

60% = blues and violet

40% = Lime

30% =  white

The two T5's are ATI actinic bulbs

The two T5's turn on at 1pm

The led's turn on at 2pm with a one hour ramp until they reach the percentages I just listed and stay there until 9pm.

At 9pm there is a one hour ramp down and at 10 pm all led's are off.

The actinic T5's stay on for one more hour until 11pm, then all lights off.

So far so good.fingerscrossed

Forgot to mention that these levels puts my par between 225 and 325.

• Like 1

New frag came in today. It's one I've wanted for a long time now. Came in absolutely beautiful, I had to post a pic. Super excited about this one. ORA Pearlberry, hope I can get it to thrive and keep it's color. 

20171024_210307.jpg

• Like 2