inTank Media Baskets

Secrets to zoa?

dandelion

I never had good luck with zoas in any of my tanks (6 gal, 12 gal and another 12 gal).  I tried them again and they took weeks to open, but didn't open fully. They got covered in algae so I did a peroxide dip and now they look great.  They fully open all the time now,  That's so weird. 

• Like 1

Mine used to just sort of disappear untill I started adding amino acids right after water changes. I try to go every 2 weeks for water changes but some times ends up being more so im sure my tank gets plenty "dirty" for them to enjoy. They are growing now but slowly. I got some rods polyp popper food to try with them gave them some the other day mixed with some marin fauna min f and they looked very fat and happy. 

On 8/24/2017 at 1:11 AM, dandelion said:

Every beginners guide say zoas and mushrooms are the easiest coral. To me they're the hardest. My single mushroom from almost 2 years ago remain a single small mushroom.

I know this is a super old thread, but...

I was having the same experience with my Zoas and Mushrooms. I found that I was cleaning my tank too much. They like it a lil dirty. I continue to keep my tank changes at the same frequency, but I got some improvement when I placed the Mushrooms in a 'dead zone' in the tank; usually any of the four corners. The filter flow doesn't get water flow or pressure in the corners of my tank and that one thing seemed to help out. I started to see multiplication. Also, I found that when I placed them in the darker area, the mushroom made attempts to move towards the light it needed. In doing so, it would leave a lil bit of itself and create another mushroom. I am now on 6 purple mushrooms from never being able to get it to be 'aggressive' like all the forums read. I say started to see multiplication because I went against my new policy and relocated the piece from 'dead zone' and I am not seeing the results.

Additionally - this may unnerve some - but I have a Ricordea mushroom that I really didn't want to have to go through the same thing with, so I have twice slit the foot with a razor blade when I see it moving and has stretched itself to do a forced separation. From one Ricordea, I now have 3 little ones and the larger 'mother' one. Seems to be working and speeding the process up. When I slice a small piece of the foot, it only takes 2 weeks for the mouth to form and start seeing little tentacles.