Pod Your Reef

Secrets to zoa?

dandelion

On 8/24/2017 at 10:22 AM, Clown79 said:

My eagle eyes died one by one.

My la packers died, my tnmnt died, various others died.

In my 15g- under high flow/high light

In my 10g- under moderate

It's the one coral I just have no luck with no matter which I get.

My 10g has a few that are surviving and spread but not much

Floundering_Around

I can't get my fire and ice zoas to stop growing. My utter chaos, radioactive dragon eye, and eagle's eye are all new. My UC has opened up and only really closes if something bumps into it, so normal behavior. My eagle's eyes open up; very rarely are they not happy. It's my darn RDE that will not stop being a brat. Thing hardly opens up and when it does it's not even fully open and flat (it's been nearly a month).

The UC and RDE got dipped before going in the tank, I've been doing nudibranch checks, and my tank is definitely not too clean. The tank is broadcast fed with benepets and BRS reef chili. They're on the sandbed now so maybe I'll try moving them around some more? I don't even know. Some hydrogen peroxide can't hurt either at this point.

FlytheWMark
24 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Keeping the water dirty and these two are doing incredibly well. 

NBR42518-15Nano Box Red Sea

Could you tell me what your "dirty" paramaters are?

On 7/20/2018 at 8:36 AM, DaveFason said:

Keeping the water dirty and these two are doing incredibly well. 

NBR42518-15Nano Box Red Sea

And by keeping the tank dirty how do you combat nuisance algae?

On 7/20/2018 at 9:01 AM, Mark L. said:

Could you tell me what your "dirty" paramaters are?

I'll be honest, I have not tested in three months or so. I know that the water is dirty due to the algae that accumulate each day.  

23 hours ago, dandelion said:

And by keeping the tank dirty how do you combat nuisance algae?

Manual removal here & there. As well consistent water changes. 

• 1 month later...

I target feed my zoas and palys misys. They are doing great and spreading. I have 2 tanks. 1 is 4 months and the other is only 1 month old. Both are Biocube running skimmers. I do weekly water changes. I hope better luck for everyone else.

On 9/3/2018 at 5:34 PM, MrObscura said:

Man, I feel fortunate. My utter chaos and people eaters have sprouted new polyps with a month. 

Hey ideas what the cause is? My utter chaos dont grow much at all. 

• 1 month later...

Hate to bump an old thread but here's my 2 cents...

I struggled with zoa's when my tank was clean. I didn't feed coral, I had 1 fish. Big water changes took place every week. It was pretty sterile.

As I bought more LPS and began feeding them weekly the zoa's looked happy also. 

Over the last month I've been feeding them too. I feed coral brine shrimp, I put it in a small container with 1/3 cup of tank water and shake the crap out of it. I find this helps defrost the food but also makes lots of the particles smaller.

I let it settle and feed the liquidy bit to zoa's and the settled out brine shrimp to LPS and fish.

My growth has exploded since starting this a month ago. I have one unnamed zoa's that's spat out 7 new polyps in the last 2 weeks.

My watermelons have increased in polyp size and are also multiplying. 

Next time I do this I'll film the feeding response.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Frag Factory said:

Hate to bump an old thread but here's my 2 cents...

I struggled with zoa's when my tank was clean. I didn't feed coral, I had 1 fish. Big water changes took place every week. It was pretty sterile.

As I bought more LPS and began feeding them weekly the zoa's looked happy also. 

Over the last month I've been feeding them too. I feed coral brine shrimp, I put it in a small container with 1/3 cup of tank water and shake the crap out of it. I find this helps defrost the food but also makes lots of the particles smaller.

I let it settle and feed the liquidy bit to zoa's and the settled out brine shrimp to LPS and fish.

My growth has exploded since starting this a month ago. I have one unnamed zoa's that's spat out 7 new polyps in the last 2 weeks.

My watermelons have increased in polyp size and are also multiplying. 

Next time I do this I'll film the feeding response.

Tried feeding them reef rounds. Not all Zoas respond to food for me. 

14 minutes ago, dandelion said:

Tried feeding them reef rounds. Not all Zoas respond to food for me.

I agree there, not all of mine seem to feed but I give them a squirt anyway. It can't hurt.

Even if they don't eat directly, the nutients and amino acids in the water from digested food from fish or coral will help them build mass.

Right now I am feeding red Sea coral nutition, acro power and brine shrimp squirted at LPS once/twice a week.

I think it's really helping. It's very noticeable in my mushrooms too which seem to have exploded. 

Do you feed acro power directly or do you just broadcast feed?

11 hours ago, Frag Factory said:

I agree there, not all of mine seem to feed but I give them a squirt anyway. It can't hurt.

Even if they don't eat directly, the nutients and amino acids in the water from digested food from fish or coral will help them build mass.

Right now I am feeding red Sea coral nutition, acro power and brine shrimp squirted at LPS once/twice a week.

I think it's really helping. It's very noticeable in my mushrooms too which seem to have exploded. 

Nitrate won't help them much, they need amino acids (proteins) and minerals 

This comes from waste produced by carnivours (fish or inverts).

LPS corals would pair well and help.

I'm not sure if it helps, but I dose fresh, live, cultured phyto (it provides the phyto as well as inorganic nutrients).  Zoas seem to do alright even in a fishless tank.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

yes I am very interested in your situation with your Zoes, I have just started a 75gal frag tank only three months old. They all seem to be doing fine no problems yet, just a little hair algae.  

I know this is an older post but just want to throw it in there that I also have struggled with zoanthids when my other corals do fine.  Really confusing even today as I watch two of my three zoa colonies melt while the other seems fine.

Sometimes it's a pest which affects one colony and not another.  Other times it can be that you have a deep water species, and a more shallow water species (with different preferences).

• 5 weeks later...
MysterySphynx

I'm relatively new to saltwater tanks but our zoa's seem to like longer periods of peak lighting with weekly feedings of a mix between reef roids (1 tsp) with Seachem Aquavitro Fuel (1 cap) mixed with a little of our tank water. We also do regular weekly water changes. Our Rasta Zoas went from 2 polyps 4 months ago to 11 polyps. The other zoas are doing well too though our Pulsing Xenia don't seem to like target feeding.