Innovative Marine Aquariums

Patrick's minireef

Patrick17

The anemone has carried on moving this week, at least he's out from behind the rock. 

Struggling with flow a little at the moment; the foam covers for the gyre really restrict water movement. Will have to have a look at either modifying the foams so they can be removed and cleaned without removing the mounts or making a diy cover that won't restrict flow. 

_20171219_175036.JPG

On 13/12/2017 at 7:33 PM, Cannedfish said:

There are few things in this hobby more comical than conch eyes. It's like nature had some googly eyes lying around, and after a few beers decided to punk a snail. Real mature, nature. Real Mature. 

Finally got a photo of the conch, thought you might appreciate it :)

_20171219_175849.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not updated the journal for a while as there isn't much to report. 

The anemone had a little accident on boxing day, tearing his foot slightly on the overflow. Doesn't appear to be causing any issues yet, however I know that a torn foot can lead to infection, wasting away and death. He is eating and remains inflated though so I am hopeful

_20180101_164704.JPG

_20180101_165343.JPG

• Like 1

Unfortunately our anemone never settled; he wandered across the overflow again and there was no escape from it this time. Absolutely gutted :(

I've done a water change this evening and will do another tomorrow, I'll need to pick up some more carbon too to be safe. The water was cloudy but there are no ill effects just yet *touching wood*

A while ago, my partner and I settled on a fish list for our tank and we've been searching and waiting for the right ones.  I called into the lfs to see how our reserved possum wrasse is doing; he's gorgeous :) He's been there for a couple of months, off-sale in a frag tank due to his ability to escape below the egg crate frag rack. 

When we're ready, in a couple weeks, we'll get the staff to try and catch him during their weekly frag tank cleaning, can't wait! 

_20180111_185857.JPG

Such a cool softy tank. Bummer about the anemone, it looked like the clowns were getting into it! 

Great choice for future fish resident! I love cryptic wrasses. Looking forward to seeing it the tank! 

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

Such a cool softy tank. Bummer about the anemone, it looked like the clowns were getting into it! 

Great choice for future fish resident! I love cryptic wrasses. Looking forward to seeing it the tank! 

Thank you very much :) This is my pride and joy, however testing it can be at times! 

I had a read through your journal earlier, amazing photography and I love the stand :)

• Like 1

Having had some bad luck in the past I've been reluctant to share photos of a new fish that has been swimming around since new year's eve. 

He's one that is difficult to feed, however is readily eating brine, mysis, lobster roe and krill. We'll take it day by day, feeding as often as possible and hopefully we can be one of the success stories. 

Everyone, meet Emmettt :D

_20180112_123153.JPG

_20180112_123134.JPG

_20180112_123217.JPG

_20180112_123243.JPG

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Didn't realise it had been so long in between updates! There have been changes in the last month, not all with the reef though. 

We rehomed little Emmettt in the end, he ate well but his weight was not consistent; he often looked underweight so has been moved to a tank with more sand and rock where he should be more at home. 

We have also sold on the shrimp tank and goldfish, reducing our collection to just two tanks; our reef and a tropical community. 

Since we lost the anemone, I've struggled with motivation for the tank to be honest which is probably part of the reason for the lack of updates and ultimately the struggles I had keeping emmett's weight up. 

I'll get a photo of the reef when it's had a clean over the weekend, but for now here is a photo of the tropical community of pentazona barbs and plecs 

DSC_0002_1517926909499.JPG

DSC_0006_1517737994613.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

She's a shy little thing but my lfs has finally managed to get me a pink streaked wrasse. This is the best photo so far ? 

She's a little larger than our clowns at around 1" and has started venturing across the whole tank after 5 days. Such a beautiful little fish! 

_20180309_140302.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Got a few updates for the journal whilst I'm stuck at home for the day. 

I have taken delivery of some Maxspect bio-spheres which have been placed in the first chamber of my sump. The box contains 1kg, or 43 of the balls, which they claim will  give the surface area of 43kgs (95lbs) of rock. Whether it is as good as their claims or not, it will definitely give a boost to the bacteria. 

As a four-month update on the UV, I have definitely noticed a difference in water clarity, it's crystal clear. Whether it has had any affect on parasites etc., I'm not sure. However there have been no signs and the odd scratch and torn fin heals in days without complication. I can't measure the rate through the UV, but it is tapped from the return at not much more than a dribble. 

One side-effect is possibly the decline in my gorgonians. I'm not sure if their food source is being affected by the UV. I have slowly lost a couple other corals too since the turn of the year which I believe is a result of being stung by the BTA before its self-induced demise. The gorgs were also stung and have reacted poorly to being touched by growing toadstools so I'm putting it down to a catalogue of causes. 

I have rearranged slightly to move the gorgonians away from their neighbours and cut back the dead branches. In the photo with the shrimp you can see the receding flesh, however on this coral it is only on that small patch currently (this was definitely caused by contact with a Kenya tree). 

I've added a few photos as this was such a long post of the pink streaked wrasse, rearranged right-hand-side, shrimp on gorgonian and clowns.

_20180319_181955.JPG

_20180319_181939.JPG

_20180319_182051.JPG

_20180319_182023.JPG

_20180319_181809.JPG

_20180319_181741.JPG

I love those little pink wrasses ? I had one in a bigger tank I used to own. He would get lost in there but would always be front and center come feeding time. Hopefully someday I can get my hands on another.

38 minutes ago, imkelz said:

I love those little pink wrasses ? I had one in a bigger tank I used to own. He would get lost in there but would always be front and center come feeding time. Hopefully someday I can get my hands on another.

It's taken a good four months to get my hands on one but I have since seen at least another two locally. I'm assuming that the importer (TMC) has managed to bring a few into the country at the same time. I was pleasantly surprised by their price though; this little beauty only set me back £25, roughly the same as a clown or anthias would 

Having spent a couple of days at home sat watching the reef, it's making me question adding anything that is remotely finicky about food or has the slightest chance of bullying our PSW. I know that literally rules out everything though so some compromise is needed. 

Just thinking out loud here... 

I'm now unsure about the possum wrasse the lfs has saved for us and my plans for a scooter blenny; I don't want to add anything that will compete for its food with our pink streaked wrasse. Six months ago we lost everything and I don't want to take any risks. I've decided to stick to softies with corals and want the hardiest of fish to mix in (sure that statement will come back to haunt me in a few months when I see something I must have...). 

We still definitely want yellow clown gobies as I don't believe they'll add any aggression to the mix but on top of that I'm unsure. Possibly a fang blenny too. 

My partner and I had always planned on some form of centrepiece fish but I'm not sure I'd want to risk a cherub or flame angel, flasher or fairy wrasse anymore with the PSW. Unless I've missed something, that really only leaves cardinals and firefish. 

Any ideas? 

• 2 weeks later...

While many consider it common place, I like Pajama Cardinals.  They are peaceful and they swim in the open.  I consider them a “dither fish”, encouraging other fish to swim in the open.

In 45 years of reefkeeping, I never got past softies.  They are beautiful and easy to keep.  I also enjoy using ornamental macros combined with lps to mimic a macro lagoon.

1 hour ago, Subsea said:

While many consider it common place, I like Pajama Cardinals.  They are peaceful and they swim in the open.  I consider them a “dither fish”, encouraging other fish to swim in the open.

In 45 years of reefkeeping, I never got past softies.  They are beautiful and easy to keep.  I also enjoy using ornamental macros combined with lps to mimic a macro lagoon.

Thank you Subsea, I hadn't thought about cardinals. I prefer the bangaii personally; I think it's something to do with the larger and older ones you see in a LFS having dulled colours. 

I'm a long time lurker on your journal, I'm a fan of the softies and macros you have and think your fish choices are interesting; particularly the group of damsels and mixed angels. 

It must be an aim in the hobby to have a tank stable and healthy with the longevity yours has. I'll make a point of saying hi when I pop in next 

• Like 1

Today is the best kind of day ?

In between wedding ring shopping and calling at my parents for fish and chips, I called into a LFS earlier for a little look around. There was this tiny little yellow face staring at me out from a burrow under a sorry looking aiptasia rock, hiding from a pair of maroon clowns. 

I've been thinking about a Talbot's  damsel for a while; this little cutie was so small he's perfect. He's barely 1" nose to tail, smaller than all my other pretty small fish - the PSW dwarfs it and to be honest bullying of the PSW is my biggest worry. 

For now I've only got blurry and out-of-focus photos as it's cleaning day tomorrow and the film algae is in the way... 

_20180330_220731.JPG

_20180330_220636.JPG

• Like 2

This weekend kept on getting better ?

When at the LFS yesterday I saw a beautiful little wrasse that I left overnight to do a little research. Personally I have never come across a Walindi wrasse and reading about them makes this sound pretty rare in the hobby. To be honest, I'm in two minds at to whether that is an accurate ID; depends on whether the importer got it right I suppose. 

Anyway, worst case, I think it's a female Cirrhilabrus sp., possibly  flavidorsalis. Best case, at £18 I'm winning ? Either way it's a beautiful fish who fits with what I want for my reef with similar needs/behaviours. 

If someone more experienced has any idea, I'd be grateful for input...

We also picked up a little coris wrasse, the local shops have an abundance at the moment and they have really caught my partner's eye (mine too). These two shared a tank and had done for a while without any issues. I plan to keep my eyes on the both and how they treat the PSW but all signs are good so far ?

_20180331_164744.JPG

_20180331_164656.JPG

_20180331_164758.JPG

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

After nearly twenty four hours in our tank I have to say I didn't need to worry about the anyone bullying the PSW. He has made sure the coris and walindi wrasse know it's his tank... Favouritism seems to have spoilt him! 

For now, the coris wrasse is in hiding (I hope, our lid should have prevented jumping) and the walindi gets chased if he is near the same rock as the PSW. 

The new fish really need names to make descriptions easier... 

Anyway here's a few more photos, blurry phone photos as usual, for anyone interested in these wrasse. There is so little on the internet about walindi wrasse that this topic currently comes up on the first page on Google.

Judging by the literature on the internet, I realise the rarity of the wrasse in the hobby and the chances are that this has been misidentified. I really appreciate your opinion, @Christopher Marks, and I will try to keep the updates on his progress coming. Whether it is a Walindi or female fairy, it's a beautiful little fish that I will do my best to care for over the coming years 

Edit: coris has popped out ?

_20180401_135828.JPG

_20180401_140039.JPG

_20180401_140020.JPG

_20180401_135920.JPG

On 1/8/2018 at 3:13 PM, Patrick17 said:

Unfortunately our anemone never settled; he wandered across the overflow again and there was no escape from it this time. Absolutely gutted :(

I've done a water change this evening and will do another tomorrow, I'll need to pick up some more carbon too to be safe. The water was cloudy but there are no ill effects just yet *touching wood*

On 4/1/2018 at 8:05 AM, Patrick17 said:

After nearly twenty four hours in our tank I have to say I didn't need to worry about the anyone bullying the PSW. He has made sure the coris and walindi wrasse know it's his tank... Favouritism seems to have spoilt him! 

For now, the coris wrasse is in hiding (I hope, our lid should have prevented jumping) and the walindi gets chased if he is near the same rock as the PSW. 

The new fish really need names to make descriptions easier... 

Anyway here's a few more photos, blurry phone photos as usual, for anyone interested in these wrasse. There is so little on the internet about walindi wrasse that this topic currently comes up on the first page on Google.

Judging by the literature on the internet, I realise the rarity of the wrasse in the hobby and the chances are that this has been misidentified. I really appreciate your opinion, @Christopher Marks, and I will try to keep the updates on his progress coming. Whether it is a Walindi or female fairy, it's a beautiful little fish that I will do my best to care for over the coming years 

Edit: coris has popped out ?

_20180401_135828.JPG

_20180401_140039.JPG

_20180401_140020.JPG

_20180401_135920.JPG

Bubble Tip Anemone have crashed more healthy tanks than all other other things combined.  Your tank looks great.  

Beautiful wrasses!