Pod Your Reef

Patrick's minireef

Patrick17

Our new possum wrasse is coming out a little more after a few days settling in. Such a little pig! 

DSC_0043.thumb.JPG.fbcb8c751d22e1d5aad21c305fbe2f8f.JPG

The macros seem to have settled in too since being attached last week. It would be great to know what species they are but for now I'm just enjoying the colours and shapes

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always tried to keep this journal photo heavy; it lets me see progression and stories with pictures are always easier to read...

We have lost a couple of the green leafy macros, the snails went to town on them. If only they would eat bubble algae! The reds and tougher green ones are going strong and look to have grown. 

I feel like there has been a lack of clown photos so here is the most recent:

_20180713_105456.thumb.JPG.b1f96029413973abe45aca11fcd0d660.JPG

The female has developed a lovely darker colour and both, along with the yellow coris wrasse, provide obvious movement and follow you round the room, begging for food. 

The other inhabitants are far less obvious. Many hours can be spent searching for movement in and behind rock crevices. They are becoming less cryptic with time though and can be found begging more frequently - not that they are ever starved! 

Here they are face-to-face in the right-hand-side of the tank for size comparisons:

_20180713_175504.thumb.JPG.b854fcaf330e00a5263a228bcf0a9bf5.JPG

• Like 2
Just now, specore said:

I may need a yellow coris wrasse.  Really like the looks of these guys. 

We love ours! He's always out and about and not fussy at all. Full of personality. No idea if he is male, but with all female geckos, cats and chickens the fish try and even up the numbers. 

Not sure if it's a common thing but the other day our wrasse gave us a heart attack. We fed frozen mysis, as normal on an evening, but he must have eaten half a cube by himself. One minute he was posing for photos, the next his gut was massively swollen and he was bouncing around on the sand bed, clinging to life. We had given up and turned the lights off to try and reduce stress expecting the worst the next day. Come breakfast time he was in the corner begging for food with his usual sleek shape back. We can only assume that he did the fish equivalent of eating himself into a food-coma and needed to sleep it off. 

Not sure if I've already posted this photo of him:

DSC_0022_1524518655445.thumb.JPG.de7339957a8a11e461a3913a677d718f.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

**long, wordy post written in reflective mood warning**

The tank is about 21 months old now so this journal is probably due an update on current equipment and livestock. 

So much has changed since I started this journal and much more since the tank was started. It's heartbreaking to have lost and rehomed so many fish and corals; when reading all the way through this journal I hope that it is a true reflection of the journey a reefkeeper can take. I honestly feel that I have learned from my mistakes and there is so much to learn. I'm looking forward to the tank's 2nd birthday and then many more after that. 

Currently, the tank is running as follows:

Equipment:

Aqua One minireef 180 (47 USG) 

Stock 40w LED lights

Aqua Medic DC runner 3.1 return pump

Bubble Magus C3. 5 skimmer (used on eBay) 

Maxspect gyre XF150 (ex-display model) 

Deltec 20w UV (used on Facebook)

4" Bubble Magus filter sock

TMC reactor (used on eBay)

Maxspect Nano-Tech Bio-Spheres 1KG

I have found the mix of stock and cheaper new and pre-owned equipment to be working well on my softie reef. The UV is due a new bulb but in general I think that there is room to grow if needed. The gyre is only on 10% at the moment and I've not used the reactor for a while. 

There are still a few changes I would like to make in the future; I'd like to add a fuge section in the sump to pods and nutrient export and I would l love to upgrade the lighting. The stock is great for growing softies but a bit more power and controllability would let me improve the colour on zoas and get them to multiply. 

Livestock:

Pair of small ocellaris clowns

Pink streaked wrasse 

Yellow banded possum wrasse 

Yellow coris wrasse 

2x cleaner shrimp 

Conch 

Mix of nasarius, black foot & astrea snails.

We keep changing our mind on future stocking options. We've thought about chalk bass, trying a pair of dwarf angels, a pair of cardinals, a single dwarf angel, sand sifting gobies blennies and so on... I've looked through N-R at similar sized tanks, like the reefer 250, for inspiration and was surprised at the number of small kole and tomini tangs. We saw a white banded possum wrasse recently and I think that is now on the definite list. 

Anyway, here is a photo of our possum wrasse looking for attention 

_20180713_175526.thumb.JPG.da2a278467bab82cf1e79a2fb4ccaee2.JPG

• Like 2

Finally managed to get photos of the macros; I don't have names but these seem to be doing well for me at the moment. I'm starting to accept the bubble algae as natural and here to stay now too

DSC_0025.thumb.JPG.6cabcf24fff9f4524b19cffd1ab2d9cd.JPG

DSC_0022.thumb.JPG.d4eb30b677875707c70db72b80ed9c26.JPG

DSC_0023.thumb.JPG.7749559d11364befedb60ea5b7ec8478.JPG

When trying to get the above macroalgae shots, these two were doing their best to help. They are out much more and recognise me as the food-bringer and beg with the clowns too now. 

Out of focus photos as usual... 

DSC_0021.thumb.JPG.b588a6d54ed3945e3a0f9159cfd0542e.JPG

DSC_0020.thumb.JPG.57dbd80ac1de47d1f486868cf3e81848.JPG

• Like 1

The macros still seem to be doing well at the moment, here's a few progression shots. Each of these four has either thickened out or is sending out a new stem 

DSC_0028.thumb.JPG.6103ee525486547c9d6e97e168e8aa7b.JPG

DSC_0034.thumb.JPG.aa63b3f1f427ee5dfab873970dcf8651.JPG

DSC_0033.thumb.JPG.1d1cbed428bbf9f0ffe72d7f6a67590b.JPG

• Like 1

This is a different view of the tank, from the right side. I like the depth of field, makes the tank look long enough for a tang... 

DSC_0030.thumb.JPG.ced61093fb50f41c880c4f3214985090.JPG

I have mentioned to my better half about upgrading the light for my birthday in a few months time. After a few days off work I must have watched every review on YouTube and read every forum post and have narrowed down the choices to 2x Kessil A160we, radion XR30, TMC V2 ilumenair 900, Hydra 52 and Maxspect RSX200 in a rough ballpark of a budget. The TMC is cheapest and simplest and the Kessil, Radion and AI get a little over the top by the time mounting kits and controllers have been added on, meaning I'm leaning to the Maxspect.

From what I have read, the preset programmes will be suitable for the less-blue and mixed reef spectrum I want without needing the controller. It also sits on the rim without affecting my glass lid which keeps the cats out and fish in and is a brand I trust - I love my gyre

• Like 1

Cleaned out the tank today, managed to get quite a lot of bubble algae out, hopefully nutrients will be low enough to keep it in check. Changed out the carbon and added in 1/3 dose rowaphos.

Managed to annoy a toadstool as usual but cut it from the bubble algae-covered rock it was on originally and left it on the main rock work. 

DSC_0003_1532717078628.thumb.JPG.8dd1b1043b3c9cd8f902ca87ceda11a8.JPG

• Like 3

Visited two LFS this weekend and saw two fish it was hard not to bring home. First a white-banded possum wrasse that was too small and not eating consistently and then a Tanaka possum wrasse that was in a tank with a damsel with a swollen eye. Didnt want to risk anything without having a QT set up, they were both gorgeous though. Going to go back next weekend to reassess. 

Worked on the tropical community instead this weekend. I'd trimmed far two much plant life out last weekend to the point where nutrients and algae built up quickly. Bought a mix of new plants to replace the over-trimmed one and added a small group of six freshwater angels. The plants have got some filling in to do but they'll get there. 

In the absence of an update on the reef, here's a photo:

DSC_0006.thumb.JPG.467c8031529f938732b7bd3c255b7ea6.JPG

DSC_0002.thumb.JPG.7ddd6689fce5797fcbe4c600d5af425b.JPG

DSC_0007.thumb.JPG.61335ad92b3a5df649fd6ea47cbbb7a0.JPG

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So this happened at the weekend... 

DSC_0008.thumb.JPG.19820e5303089cf111451c505b995edb.JPG

I've been watching him in the LFS for the last couple months, sharing tank with only a cleaner wrasse. Had the conversion with my partner about rehoming/upgrading in a couple years and was given the go-ahead. Definitely helped the cause that she loves this little fish. Searching the forum, it seems only @yoshii has spoken about heniochus; has anyone else had any experience? 

It's around 2 1/2" (for now) and devours frozen mysis by the cube. It also seems peaceful enough with the PSW and possum wrasse as I'd hoped. I couldn't be happier 😁

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Another terrible phone photo for you (please ignore the dirty water - it's dinner time). 

Compared to the photo from Monday, it seems like there is growth on the streamer 

MOV_0008_000008.thumb.jpg.8093971d7dd2a55d1ae3dcba04b8c98e.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Patrick! Ooh it's great to see more Heniochus lovers! They are beautiful fish, although can be bossed around by more aggressive fish. Yours looks quite small, so it's hard to say for certain, but it looks like a H. diphreutes to me (which are supposed to be reef safe). I've always found them to be one of the easiest butterflies to keep, so long as no other fish bother them. Once they settle in, they'll eat any prepared foods.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Hi Patrick! Ooh it's great to see more Heniochus lovers! They are beautiful fish, although can be bossed around by more aggressive fish. Yours looks quite small, so it's hard to say for certain, but it looks like a H. diphreutes to me (which are supposed to be reef safe). I've always found them to be one of the easiest butterflies to keep, so long as no other fish bother them. Once they settle in, they'll eat any prepared foods.

It was actually labelled as acuminatus in the shop but I was fairly sure after watching and reading for a month or so that the label was wrong. I know it's small and young but I'm fairly confident 😁 

Not sure if you saw my fish list I posted a while back, but at the moment we have a pair of small ocellaris clowns, a pink streaked wrasse, a yellow banded possum wrasse and a yellow coris wrasse which all seem to be calm enough tank mates. In fact, the heniochus is the most aggressive feeder of the bunch - that actually helps the other more cryptic fish though. Instead of the shrimps stealing the cube, it gets broken up almost immediately and more is able to sink for the wrasses. 

Thank you for calling by, really appreciate it 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Patrick17 said:

It was actually labelled as acuminatus in the shop but I was fairly sure after watching and reading for a month or so that the label was wrong. I know it's small and young but I'm fairly confident 😁 

Not sure if you saw my fish list I posted a while back, but at the moment we have a pair of small ocellaris clowns, a pink streaked wrasse, a yellow banded possum wrasse and a yellow coris wrasse which all seem to be calm enough tank mates. In fact, the heniochus is the most aggressive feeder of the bunch - that actually helps the other more cryptic fish though. Instead of the shrimps stealing the cube, it gets broken up almost immediately and more is able to sink for the wrasses. 

Thank you for calling by, really appreciate it 🙂 

Nice find! Yeah in juvis, it's easier to tell by looking at the anal fin (more angled, not rounded, and 50/50 black/white) and the larger eye.

Those sound like nice roommates! It probably helped that it was at the LFS for a while and knows to rush for the food.

Sure 🙂 I actually was checking my old email (that I never use anymore) for something else, and saw I had a NR notification!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Nice find! Yeah in juvis, it's easier to tell by looking at the anal fin (more angled, not rounded, and 50/50 black/white) and the larger eye.

Those sound like nice roommates! It probably helped that it was at the LFS for a while and knows to rush for the food.

Sure 🙂 I actually was checking my old email (that I never use anymore) for something else, and saw I had a NR notification!

I'd read through about your tanks but never posted anything; I love the macros and colours. When your name kept coming up in searches for heniochus, I thought you might be interested 😊 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Patrick17 said:

I'd read through about your tanks but never posted anything; I love the macros and colours. When your name kept coming up in searches for heniochus, I thought you might be interested 😊 

Thank you! I haven't been very active on NR in the past few years, but I'm glad I found your thread. Your tank looks very nice, so clean! I'll be following along 🙂 What are your future plans for the tank?

On 8/8/2018 at 11:55 PM, yoshii said:

Thank you! I haven't been very active on NR in the past few years, but I'm glad I found your thread. Your tank looks very nice, so clean! I'll be following along 🙂 What are your future plans for the tank?

Thank you 😀 

Next thing for me is probably to upgrade the light; I've been eyeing the maxspect RSX200, think I will convert some of the sump to a refugium. Just trying to decide at the moment whether to remove the skimmer to give more space for a fuge. Seabass had suggested an ALR but they are a little expensive to be honest. 

In terms of livestock, I'm going to let the little macros grow (whilst keeping them under control) and I'm going to stick with softies mainly. With the new light I'll look for a little more colour, perhaps some yellow and greens, and I might try with some euphyllia - the last lot became peppermint food. 

I'm happy with my fish selection and don't want to push stocking, I know the heniochus and coris wrasse will grow. My partner and I have always loved clown gobies so maybe there will be room for one down the line. 

I try and update regularly, but to be honest, trying to stick to a budget with a wedding coming up keeps things running slowly so most of my updates are just terrible phone photos. 

My partner and I are fairly sure that the clowns are starting to host the toadstool in the middle of the tank; almost impossible to tell though as they are straight into the feeding corner every single time we even walk past the room the rank is in. Patience paid off this evening though as I managed to catch the smaller of the two red-handed 

DSC_0033.thumb.JPG.6dffa234be32cb185f374371ae702853.JPG

• Like 2

Just realised that I've reached a (very) little milestone; my 200th post. 

After an unsuccessful day veil shopping with my fiancé it's nice to return home to a peaceful reef. 

Here is a FTS for 11.8.18

DSC_0036.thumb.JPG.059ee394efa8f2308202d1cb8e9632b7.JPG

• Like 2

Yesterday was tank cleaning day, including the sump and return pump for the first time in a while. Definitely worth the effort when you have a good look the day after. 

Mrs clown seems to be lightening up again after going quite dark a couple of months ago

DSC_0064.thumb.JPG.3476f13d1c6b38c3756372e111924a66.JPG

I managed to get a couple of photos of the heniochus that are slightly less blurred than usual; such a wonderful little fish 

DSC_0065.thumb.JPG.1a4cb47eabbc191c7e2383c44a4f64d2.JPG

DSC_0069.thumb.JPG.ad6e644a0d294de7306c680072f94b08.JPG

• Like 1

Nearly a week since the last cleaning and things are still looking clean. I'm feeding more than I ever have before but no real algae growth has happened (dare I say even the bubble algae has taken longer to grow back?) 

Since we got it on 8.8.18, our heniochus' streamer has grown huge 😁 

DSC_0037.thumb.JPG.cca00ec20b506a9068d9a974d14addb7.JPG

Our clowns were also playing at the glass like fw mollies; I love the interaction. Notice the closed up toadstool in the background; out of the eight or so larger leathers, there is always one closed - without fail. I think in the past, I may have meddled and tried to move it but I have definitely learned my lesson - leathers are moody, just leave them be. 

DSC_0019.thumb.JPG.1972db109c2ea2c9ba47011d10de9a94.JPG

I also got a (not great) picture of the lesser-photographed PSW looking all bright eyed

DSC_0008.thumb.JPG.efc00cd434379bd16220481870625c27.JPG

With getting a 5th distinction in a row on my diploma modules, it's been a good day all round 

Came up to bed later than usual tonight and stopped off to look into the dark tank as a snail was vibrating itself against the glass and gyre. I can only assume these are cleaner shrimp spawn. They are always carrying eggs but tonight is the first time I've seen any babies. I'm assuming this isn't the first time and that like others have reported there will be no sign in the morning. 

I quickly turned the lights on for a (admittedly terrible) photo and then left the fish to their feast

DSC_0001.thumb.JPG.6a9219995c5134a4e1b5983d30ce71e5.JPG

DSC_0002.thumb.JPG.743d8829676f4a7f0ff99c03863e59c2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

There have been no real changes in the two weeks since my last post; in fact, I don't think I have performed any maintenance at all other than topping up and changing the filter sock and chemical media. It seems that when left alone the corals look fluffy, the glass has gone three weeks before needing a scrape and there is no real algae growth on the sand or rocks. I might be on top of the bubble algae too, far less has regrow since my last harvest.

I have lost most of the macros now, not sure whether it is lighting, flow, snails or lack of nutrients but I will definitely try again in the future. Is it normal for corraline algae to be able to grow over macros? 

Our LFS ran a first birthday tank competition, judged by the reps they had invited in. In the end, we came away with second place, apparently in a very close call with first. I can't remember the last time I felt so proud! The decision did cause a bit of upset on Facebook; according to some a softie tank can't be compared to a larger SPS dominant tank - the comments took the gloss off but the £75 fish and coral voucher helped with that. 

I haven't decided whether to use it on a couple of large leather corals or a dozen frags yet, I've never been a fan of lots of frags but they will grow and I'm trying to keep things stable (and not spend anything) in the run up to our wedding in December. I have decided though, that despite burning a hole in my pocket, I will wait until after I get my new birthday light before using the voucher. My partner and I have always loved LPS and with the new light I might once again try some euphyllia and duncans - I've had no luck in this tank with them so far! 

Or maybe we could get 5 or so clown gobies? Choices, choices