Coral Vue Hydros

150L of overthinking

Moorahs

4 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Great looking tank (both old and new)! Two months from now your going to be taking delivery of an even larger tank! 

Image result for ron burgundy that escalated quickly

If only. Sadly I don’t know anyone with a bigger tank ? - this one only came about coz my sister gave me her fish... followed by the tank...

5 hours ago, SavaS said:

Great looking tank! Also if you edit your first post you can edit the title, that's how I did it. 

Genius! Thanks! And thanks! 

The tank and scape look great! I love the shapes the rock gives; I'd have loved to be brave enough to try that rather than standard roundish rocks 

• Thanks 1

So I may have tripped and accidentally fallen into a LFS that had a buy 2 get the 3rd free coral sale this weekend.

I may also need to retract anything I said about not wanting a torch coral. That went out the window when I saw my first gold one in person...

B7FF986E-5A30-4C49-8F38-634FD53171C4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

Lessons for this week:

1. Peroxide doesn’t do half as good of a number on aiptasia as lemon juice does

2. No app will let my phone take a good tank shot without post processing

3. The itty bitty (like 2mm tops) ricordea pup I spotted today is the cutest thing in the known universe

4. I HAVE ENOUGH CORAL

Phosphate is down to 0.1 - it was 0.2, because it took me a week to register that I needed to increase all my chemical media and dosing etc since I’ve got 5 times more water volume. Well played, self :rolleyes:

45827593-DFF5-4926-A528-04A69A9D78B5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

And this week’s lesson: however freakishly unlikely, a clownfish can, if harassed enough by his psycho hose beast partner, jump. And even though there’s a glass lid, that teensy tiny less than a cm gap is enough (however freakishly unlikely) that he will land on my lounge room floor and that’s where I will find him. I seriously cannot believe that happened. RIP little man :( 

• Sad 1

Weird. Widow clown has decided she likes the torch. Guess she wasn’t happy staying in the marital nano mag home by herself.

I feel bad for her being on her own but not sure whether to run the risk of getting a replacement for her to browbeat to death. Least she’s still got the damsel to harass...

00F8FB11-E3EA-4A37-9FDB-33FBD3D58A32.jpeg

1 hour ago, Moorahs said:

This week’s lesson is that the iPhone X camera does a STELLAR job of correcting white balance. No 3rd party apps, no stuffing with settings. Goodbye iPhone Blue ?

628FD3E3-EEDB-45A5-A3DA-CDC40B9A7856.jpeg

Awesome. I just got an 8+ after deciding it would be a better fit for me, so glad to see the new cameras are capable.

On 10/23/2017 at 3:09 AM, Moorahs said:

So I may have tripped and accidentally fallen into a LFS that had a buy 2 get the 3rd free coral sale this weekend.

I may also need to retract anything I said about not wanting a torch coral. That went out the window when I saw my first gold one in person...

B7FF986E-5A30-4C49-8F38-634FD53171C4.jpeg

Why on earth wouldn't you want a torch?! You're missin out. But now that you have one, what do you think of it? Also, that giant glowing hammer is so nice, makes me think of a fluffy white cloud.

Btw for your next upgrade which is coming soon I'm guessing, just go with a 200 gallon. Think of all the corals you could fit in there!

18 hours ago, Halo_003 said:

Awesome. I just got an 8+ after deciding it would be a better fit for me, so glad to see the new cameras are capable.

Totally. Takes better pics than my digital camera.

18 hours ago, samnaz said:

Why on earth wouldn't you want a torch?! You're missin out. But now that you have one, what do you think of it? Also, that giant glowing hammer is so nice, makes me think of a fluffy white cloud.

Btw for your next upgrade which is coming soon I'm guessing, just go with a 200 gallon. Think of all the corals you could fit in there!

Lol I’ve exhausted my supply of people offloading marine tanks, this was a totally unplanned upgrade but I wasn’t gonna say no...

And loving the torch - I’d *made* myself disinterested in them when I only had an 8 gal display to play with. I’m hoping where it’s positioned in the tank (nothing downflow of it) means it won’t matter how much it doesn’t play nice with others.

And this morning makes 2 from 2 male clownfish who have leapt to their dry bitter end rather than live with her... I’m done, Widow Clown can be a cranky old spinster for the rest of her days :(

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, samnaz said:

You don’t have a lid to prevent them from leaping to their dry bitter end?

A solid glass one no less! There is a gap of like 5mm max on the sides, and maybe a cm tops towards the front and back walls. 

Husband number 2 was tiny - I thought I was doing the right thing getting the smallest one I could find so as he wouldn’t challenge her. Guess I thought wrong. 

I’ll make jokes about it all day but I’m gutted, I do take this whole responsibility for living things seriously and I feel terrible. 

Weekly pic and reflection time...

Widow Clown actually seems more chilled on her own. Has totally set up home in the torch again, chases the damsel away if it gets too close, but now spends most of her time just hanging within a few inches of home base. 

Not much else to report except that the strombus snail is possibly my favourite thing ever. Workhorse. 

DADF1A8D-227D-47AB-B2E2-BED2CDA41421.jpeg

• Like 2

Bought a coral. Beauty, that is :wub:

Next to impossible to get decent photos of her, nothing that does the colour justice. But had fun trying, also getting some other snaps of the tank

C4A18CB5-C06C-4CFB-A685-8B2018924F0C.jpeg

367CC440-8AEA-42F1-AFDE-E27798EAC537.jpeg

848CCED6-32E5-4CDB-BA79-A554F89D6F4C.jpeg

Weekly FTS. 

Installed an ATO and dosing pump, still getting the hang of both. Also getting the hang of not panicking when the Clown sucks on the torch so much her mouth freezes open. I swear, the amount of time I spend lost in the wonder and beauty of the tank is less than the amount of time I spend fretting about it ?

272C05C2-3E52-43B8-BDC8-0B75A19C441F.jpeg

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

BTW your pectina coral (I think) is awesome! The tank overall looks stunning. It's been a couple months; time for that 200G. 

Woohoo! I’ve got an enabler :D. Must get new tank.... person on other side of the globe said so....

Nah there’s plenty of real estate left in here. Problem is it’s mostly vertical. Got a psammocora coming in a day or so, hoping it grows upwards.

Any and all suggestions welcome on vertical encrusters too btw... chalice? Cyphastrea?

(oh yeah - tis indeed a pectinia. It’s name is Steve Tyler. Gotta get a pic of it feeding...)

8 hours ago, Moorahs said:

Woohoo! I’ve got an enabler :D. Must get new tank.... person on other side of the globe said so....

Nah there’s plenty of real estate left in here. Problem is it’s mostly vertical. Got a psammocora coming in a day or so, hoping it grows upwards.

Any and all suggestions welcome on vertical encrusters too btw... chalice? Cyphastrea?

(oh yeah - tis indeed a pectinia. It’s name is Steve Tyler. Gotta get a pic of it feeding...)

My mantra has always been, "Help make me, help make you, make a bad decision." And from where I am sitting, it looks like I'm starting to succeed. That being said, I definitely think you need that 200G, hell why stop at 200, go straight to 3 bills ("Come on, all the cool kids are doing it..."). 

My love of consumerism has placed my tank into a similar spacial situation. And while I may have maxed out the LR real estate, but I haven't yet maxed out the Amex. Obviously, the back wall vertical space was the next frontier. So far I have slapped super glue on and stuck the following to the back glass: an unnamed acro, bizzaro cyphastrea, red setosa montipora, superman montipora, GSP, and some sort of psammo. The the GSP and cyphastrea are spreading like the plague (the GSP has mainly grown up, the cyphastrea is attempting to conquer all), while the setosa, acro and psammo are encrusting albeit at a much less disturbing pace. I have been so impressed with the cyphastrea's growth that a WWC peppermint cyphastrea is scheduled to arrive today and is also going on the back wall.

Vertically on the LR, I have varying success with a blowpop cyphastrea, acan echinatas, a random favia, and a stubborn rainbow monti. If the space is super shaded, think about a dendro (however its not encrusting). 

Personally, I can keep a chalice happy for the life of me (or in reality, for the life of it (I'm not the one dying)). In fact, at the moment  I would have to say that chalice coral, bourbon, and the left post at the foot of my bed are my (and especially my toe's) kryptonite.

Good luck, I'll keep my eyes peeled for that tank upgrade. 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Personally, I can keep a chalice happy for the life of me (or in reality, for the life of it (I'm not the one dying)). In fact, at the moment  I would have to say that chalice coral, bourbon, and the left post at the foot of my bed are my (and especially my toe's) kryptonite.

Hmmm... chalice growing vertically on bedposts... in bourbon...

Thx for the ideas. Not that one so much, but plenty of others :)