SaltCritters.com

150L of overthinking

Moorahs

Rather than turn a cycling question thread into a de facto tank journal, thought I'd just give my little box of ocean its own thread. 

14/10 - goodbye aqua nano 36, hello aqua nano minireef 120! 

• Like 1

The blank slate - this is the pic I am spending *waaaaaaay* too much time staring at as I visualize which corals where. Kudos to Clown79 for helping refine my thoughts already. 

Jury still out on the Elegance idea though - they really do seem to be viewed here as a relatively easy beginner coral... wonder if that's a particular Australianism. I'm noticing a few differences between us and you northern hemisphere lot in terms of what's common (maybe coz we have the Great Barrier Reef in our backyard ?)

IMG_5736.JPG

• Like 1

Oh, and the specs:

AquaNano marine 36 all in one:

Skimmer - stock. Doesn't seem to be doing much but guess there's not much for it to do yet.

Stock heater - does what it says on the tin.

Almost stock filter - switched the ceramic noodles that came with it for marine pure balls, want to ditch the filter sponge and wool and have a (disposable, not rinsable!) piece of filter floss followed by a small pouch of chemipure blue as the first things the water hits in the overflow.

Lights - not the best. 8W LED, 29 white 3 blue. Thanks again to Clown79 on the feedback. Adding a cheap n nasty 2W blue light bar today, at the very least it will *look* more balanced... will see how long till I'm frustrated into a proper upgrade. 

More zoas, couple of shrooms and a little candy cane. Interesting that I'm becoming less and less interested in fish - I was expecting that the second the tank was ready I'd be rushing to put one in... honestly not fussed if I never get there now.

IMG_5854.JPG

• Like 1

EXOSKELETON FTW.

More things no one tells you - when your new shrimp molts, the flow will make the non-shrimp / ex-shrimp / mimic-shrimp-suit walk around the tank and you will be excited at how brave it is getting, then you will notice the real shrimp back in his hidey hole :unsure:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

And a pic update. New additions - hammer and Parker the coral banded shrimp. Still no fish and no immediate urge to add one. 

Every head on the candy cane has separated, zoas, acans and blastos all growing new heads. Pectinia is showing some really slight growth on the tips too :) 

IMG_6075.JPG

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Dude, you went from a tank with 0 corals to a tank jam-packed with corals in less than a month!  WTH?  

You're gonna want a bigger tank.  You should send me your corals and just start all over.  It'll be stocked in no time at all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Christopher Marks
1 hour ago, TatorTaco said:

Dude, you went from a tank with 0 corals to a tank jam-packed with corals in less than a month!

Haha seriously!

Impressive work so far @Moorahs, your nano reef is filling in beautifully. I admire your disinterest in fish, they introduce a different level of complexity into the ecosystem, I find shrimp to be equally if not more interesting. How's the coral banded shrimp acclimating?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Dude, you went from a tank with 0 corals to a tank jam-packed with corals in less than a month!  WTH?  

You're gonna want a bigger tank.  You should send me your corals and just start all over.  It'll be stocked in no time at all. 

Hey you mean I get to talk to people in here? Sweet - it's been a "dear diary" affair thus far :)

TatorTaco - trust me that it's organised chaos and not a tank dumped (over)full of random frags... selection and placement was based on growth patterns and many many weeks of looking at tank journals and TOTMs here to see what's possible and what things look like once they've grown in. I didn't want a fish tank with some coral, I wanted a dense colourful coral tank. I am done now, though. Almost ?

Of course if you're *offering* a bigger tank the least I could do is send you my corals in gratitude... :P

3 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Haha seriously!

Impressive work so far @Moorahs, your nano reef is filling in beautifully. I admire your disinterest in fish, they introduce a different level of complexity into the ecosystem, I find shrimp to be equally if not more interesting. How's the coral banded shrimp acclimating?

Thanks Chris :)

Parker owns the tank! He hid for a day (see earlier post - I got excited that he'd come out of his shell and it turned out that was LITERALLY what he'd done lol)... but once he'd explored the whole thing and picked a cave he got braver. Now he's a cocky, short-man-syndrome, standover.

Hunts pods and baby snails (snails have spawned 4 times so far), tries to grab the reef roids syringe... I can see why they get a bad rap in a community tank setting, but as a sole motile occupant apart from a a snail only CUC he is interactive and interesting and perfect :wub:

TBH I'm more worried about him outgrowing the tank than the corals doing so. I got the smallest CBS I could find, his body is well under an inch, and I'm just hoping the way I scaped means it'll still work for him as he grows. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Moorahs said:

Of course if you're *offering* a bigger tank the least I could do is send you my corals in gratitude... :P

Hey @TatorTaco just checked your journal out and would just like to say - trans-Atlantic shipping and quarantine aside - I'm totally up for swapsies :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2017 at 4:00 PM, Moorahs said:

Oh and hey, Caribsea - let’s play spot the difference. One of these things is not the same... 

15EE474B-8ED0-4DCB-98C8-EC226B2E87C3.jpeg

661C72AA-D6F7-415C-B0CC-DA271B172DD4.jpeg

From your scape, it looks like you made it work well though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1