Friendly

what do you do when your anemone gets too big?

Friendly   

anemone get big. how long does it usually take them, all things being equal and what do you do when they get too big for your tank?

ie. BTA for Clown's or other symbiotic pairing with a shrimp or crab?

Lawnman   

Most people kill them or end up getting out of the hobby before a BTA gets to big for a tank IMO. But you can trade it in to the LFS or even frag them if this does happen. 

Clowns love BTA's. Sexy shrimp and anemone crabs usually like Maxi mini's and rock flower anemones. 

Depends on the tank. don't spot feed them to keep them smaller, longer, but in a healthy system, they can grow fast. mine hasn't split in the year but it went from like 3-4 inches diameter to over 10-11 inches now when fully out.

Flexin   

BTA can get too big for most nanos.  Minis are better and only get 3-4 inches across.  Of course if they are happy, they keep splitting.  I'm now up to three from one in a few months.  Consider taking the bta back and get a mini if you want one, but have a plan to give away or sell them when they split :)  Have fun...

Friendly   

@Flexin - don't have anything yet, but because I got a smack in a thread where I mentioned anemone for a clown in a 10 gal, then found out just how big they can get. wasn't sure if they split or not. 

if one hasn't split...can you still frag it if it's getting to big for a tank?  :unsure: 

Flexin   

Yea, they get big.  

I've read that people do.  They take an xacto knife and half or quarter them.  But personally I don't want to do that.  My established tank is 32 gallons.  I placed one in there and put it at the top, because they move, and I was hoping max light would keep it happy and in place.  So for that has worked.  However, the 1 inch max size on liveaquaria is a bit off for a Mini Bulb Anemone .  On a happy day, the main one is almost 3 inches across.  This may be when it's ready to split again.  Also, to split them yourself, they need to be removed from the rock, you can damage their foot by removing them.  Some use ice, others slowly pick them off based on what I've read, but I don't like moving them around or removing them.  The link below is a great place to perform research before purchasing and the forum here is excellent.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/

• Like 1

Friendly   

hmmm, so you could 'cut them' to create a frag.

like you I'm not fond of the idea...it's living and that would 'hurt' it.

do BTA and MiniMax walk around like rock anemone are known to?

and your reference to ice...means to make being on the rock uncomfortable so you force them to detach and move? :huh:

Flexin   

If an anemone is not happy, they will move to a better spot.  There is a bit of a dice roll on if they will move or not.  If they decide to camp next to a coral, it's hit or miss if the coral will be affected.  

You understand correctly, some use Ice to get them to detach from a rock.  I've not done this, but was researching this a few months ago.

Friendly   

what a jerk fish! LOL! 

• Thanks 1

Pom Pom Crabs with only one anemone have been observed ripping them in half to form two, like cutting them. The nems also rip themselves apart, cutting is is arguably easier on them if they are healthy.

kinetic   

Best thing to do is get a bigger tank ;)

Most anemones are too big for most nano tanks when they're fully grown.