Innovative Marine Aquariums

DIY Skimmer, Water Flow Help

ReefSafeSolutions

ReefSafeSolutions

Hey everyone,

I recently built a skimmer for my Lagoon 25 (finally) and it seems to work...at least, I'm getting foam.  I know, not rocket science.  I'll attach pictures of the real thing in a bit, but in the meantime, I've attached the 3D model.  Not the best picture, but you get the idea.  The gray clamp hangs on the back of the tank and holds the skimmer at the right height.  You can't really see it in the picture, but the left side of the clamp is open, with tabs, for a nylon screw and nut to tighten down on the reaction chamber.  I used 1.5" ID acrylic tubing for the chamber, 12" tall.  Everything else has been 3D printed.  The little hole above the clamp is for the airline tubing.  The air stone sits at the bottom of the skimmer (duh).  Certainly not an earth shattering design, but way cheaper than anything else designed to fit in the Lagoon 25.  

My question is water flow.  I'm pulling some pretty weak skimmate right now, I don't know if that's because of not enough water flow, or because it's not broken in yet.  Maybe both, but I think I need to address the water flow issue anyways.  The bottom of the tube is open, and this is the only opening in the chamber, so this is the only way water can enter and exit.  Super inefficient.  I'm wondering what the best way would be to increase water flow.  My initial thought is to pull a line from my return pump and run it through the top of the skimmer so it forces water down through the reaction chamber.  I can put a valve on the line to adjust the water flow, but the barb on the pump for the extra line is for 1/4" tubing.  Seems like that wouldn't be enough to push water through the reaction chamber in the skimmer.  Does anyone have experience with this?

That would be my first choice in helping water flow through the skimmer better, but my second choice would be to drill holes at the upper end of the reaction chamber to allow water to exit at the top.  I'm just not sure if water would enter or exit there, or both, and if that would even matter.  Anyways, way more passive, but maybe the better solution.   I'm not sure...what do you guys think?

Final Assembly v19.png