Coral Vue Hydros

VaporCountry's Nuvo 10g Frag Tank(Cycle Complete)

VaporCountry

I used too,but haven't in almost 10 years. Mainly white tail,best was a 8 pointer. If you have patients which I'm sure you do,you will be fine. It's pretty fun for the most part,seeming you enjoy the outdoors you should enjoy hunting. 

• Like 1

You know man, for the longest time I really liked a more white light but since I copied your light settings I've actually found myself liking the blue look, and the corals seem to be responding well, one of the chalices I bought looks like it's growing quite well. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, CrazyEyes said:

You know man, for the longest time I really liked a more white light but since I copied your light settings I've actually found myself liking the blue look, and the corals seem to be responding well, one of the chalices I bought looks like it's growing quite well. 

Blue light is life mab lol. 

Yeah I've always ran alot of white, like a 10-12k look, but I'm really digging the 14-16k look. If I keep the 10g for a decent amount of time I'm going to highly consider getting a nanobox tide. 

Me personally think certain tanks look good with white light,especially biotopes. When I was running my Tide,I ran it at 16k. Now I have a DIY light with 2x beam all blue strios and 2 2up's and run it 50% b,5% w and its just perfect,its about 17k and it looks go good. 

I love my tide,I just need a smaller filter so I can mount it in the middle of the tank instead to one side and bend the neck all weird lol. 

I got turned on to the blue light on my old 6g nano cube. I was running a boost LED par 38 and then all blue 9w moonlights for a few hours in the evening. I fell in love with the blue look. I think I like it because I'm more into the coral than anything else and it just makes them pop.

I've been busy as shit lately though, have kinda been neglecting the tank. I threw in 100ml bag of purigen and it pissed off my SPS by dropping my nitrates too fast. Also one day forgot to plug back into the ATO so had a salinity swing smh

6g nano cube

198339_3326908734775_92002977_n.thumb.jpg.32510e3a001fa3c8014b2e06c52b420d.jpg

IMG_0917.thumb.JPG.1273996d825e224566e3c1cc627f1306.JPG

21985598_10210102636225655_1748020471_o.jpg

• Like 2

I dig the frag tank! It looks like that rack was made just for it. I also like the idea you had with all that matrix! How does it seem to do in place of any live rock? I’m using almost a whole bottle of it in my media basket as supplemental bio media in my new tank. Thanks!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Jimmeh Lee said:

I dig the frag tank! It looks like that rack was made just for it. I also like the idea you had with all that matrix! How does it seem to do in place of any live rock? I’m using almost a whole bottle of it in my media basket as supplemental bio media in my new tank. Thanks!

Thanks, yea the tank and the rack are both made by innovative marine. Im pretty pleased with the rack so far. 

The matrix has been working well. I have about 1L in the basket and around 0.5L in a bag in the pump return section. It does seem to take some time to build up the bacteria population. I was running high nitrates for awhile with a 30% water change every week. I was feeding the corals pretty heavy though. Now I'm only feeding the coral right before water change until the tank matures. I also started running a bag of purigen in the media basket.  All in all I think its worth the money and a good option if you wanna try bare bottom with no live rock. 

I guess it should be a perfect fit then huh. I’ve seen the racks before online, I just didn’t really pay attention to its dimensions much.

Makes sense, coming in dry and all. That’s good to hear though, I’ll be keeping it in mind if I ever set up a dedicated frag tank again. 

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, gavinsepanik said:

Any updates on how the light is doing growth-wise? How are the sps responding to it? Great frag tank!

Thanks, growth has been good on the zoas and LPS. I lost a couple SPS frags due to an alk swing. The couple I acros frags I do still have are just doing ok, haven't seen much growth. Probably because Im lazy about dosing but I don't think this light is going to be enough for SPS. Great budget light for LPS and zoas or for a PICO though. I think if I were to do it again I would save for the AI Prime.

On 12/22/2017 at 9:24 PM, CrazyEyes said:

How's this thing doing?

Overall good man, haven't got any new frags or done much with it lately though. I may pick up a few frags from a local reefer this week though. If I do ill be sure to do a little update. Ive been saving for the 30L build, excited for when I finally get it going. Hopefully my father will have some time and we can get a stand built for it soon :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello my friend i am making almost the same setup and i am thinking what fish to put in.. does the six line wrasse doing ok in 10g?  isn't small for its size? i am going to put only one fish and i am thinking about it, or do you have any other to suggest. thanks.

• 10 months later...

So life happened and I had to shut down the tank due to some medical issues. Im doing a lot better now so I am going to be starting my Nuvo 30L build here soon. All ready ordered the lights, pumps, skimmer, RO/DI unit and rock. Going to be working on getting a stand built and buying a few more items. Ill start a build thread once I get stand built.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
VaporCountry

Im running out of room in the 30L so I decided to set this frag tank back up. The plan is going to be a zoa only tank as I don't really want to mess with dosing too much. Using the same equipment but instead of the Asta 20 Led light I'm going to be using a Pixie 30. The light is from the same company but 50% more powerful than the Asta 20. 

I have the tank cycling right now and all ready picked up a bunch of zoas for when its all done. I am having a hard time deciding what frag rack to use. I have the one I was originally using and then I have one made out of egg crate. The egg crate will hold more frags but I have concerns as its so close to the glass. Also will snails be able to get on the egg crate and clean the frags? Thats my main concern. Im not sure which way to go. What do you guys think?

60338336_365956770942452_2260268067558785024_n.thumb.jpg.b3ad76d3c010681fc88a3ac35914b60a.jpg

60626590_678486099248938_51098669029523456_n.thumb.jpg.8d40bf21b94c7a2d67b13cc670c62466.jpg

• 1 month later...
VaporCountry

The cycle seemed to go well but I had a bacteria bloom that wasn't going away. So I took my UV sterilizer from my 30g and put it in the second chamber. Cleared it up overnight. Im going to leave it in there for a few more days then probably transfer it back. On the frag racks I decided on the IM one and not the egg crate. I just figured the egg crate would block more flow. I did order 2 of those GLO frag racks from ocean box designs so I will be using them as well.

I have a few tester frags in there now and they seem to be doing well. All the rest of my zoa frags are in the bigger tank until I think they are ready to move over. I had a couple LPS frags that weren't doing so hot from my other tank so I moved them over as well. They look to be doing a little better. I am seeing a small amount of ALK drop over the week so I decided I am just going to dose. I figure once coralline starts to grow it will drop too much for water changes alone to deal with. Im going to try that new All For Reef by Tropic Marin. Its pretty much ALK, Cal, Mag, and trace elements all in one solution. I figured it would be easier then using too part and on this small of a tank won't be too expensive. Also I thought if I ever wanted to hook up a doser I could just get the new single Kamor  X1 Micro Bluetooth one that just came out. Its only like $60 so that may be a possibility in the future.

Haven't been running the mame glass skimmer, just marine pure and one bag of Chemi Pure Blue nano. Oh, I also wanted some protection against a heater failure. I had a failure on my first tank and it was devastating. Did some research and there isn't many low cost options that are reliable. A lot of people use those Ink Bird ones but I have read some terrible reviews and I would not trust it. So I bit the bullet and found someone that had a brand new Apex Jr. I Bought it, got it all hooked up and programmed. It's working great.  

64675311_480960465992406_5516618044098478080_n.thumb.jpg.f062f5de1b477b77f3a120cc5bdc14f3.jpg

64430760_352221179018923_7339950365556604928_n.thumb.jpg.c6d727e6738c334246de5445ba4ec4e9.jpg