Pod Your Reef

hooligan_78

Finally this weekend I'll be picking up my new S. mertensii anemone!  So stoked, been clearing out space in my aquarium for the little guy as it's only 3-4" right now.  It's been in a hospital tank at a friends house being treated with antibiotics for about a week, and he has deemed it ready go.  Will get pics soon!

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Why was it being treated with antibiotics? 

I've never heard of that.

This is a fairly new thing with carpet nems particularly gigantea and magnifica as they tend to have poor survival rates in the hobby.  It's been hypothesized that they become bacterial infected due to shipping stress.

Ciprofloxacin treatment

• Like 1
On 8/21/2017 at 3:10 PM, hooligan_78 said:

This is a fairly new thing with carpet nems particularly gigantea and magnifica as they tend to have poor survival rates in the hobby.  It's been hypothesized that they become bacterial infected due to shipping stress.

Ciprofloxacin treatment

Hmmm, very interesting, I bookmarked that, thanks for the info. 

I have always loved Carpet Nems but avoided them due to their poor survival rates. 

Really hope your Anemone ends up being a success story. 

16 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Hmmm, very interesting, I bookmarked that, thanks for the info. 

I have always loved Carpet Nems but avoided them due to their poor survival rates. 

Really hope your Anemone ends up being a success story. 

It's looking really well in the videos and pics he's sent me.  He did the cipro treatment for a week, so hopefully all is well.  I'm reading more and more success and recovery stories on delicate nems being treated with cipro.  May even become industry standard with the more delicate species.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, hooligan_78 said:

It's looking really well in the videos and pics he's sent me.  He did the cipro treatment for a week, so hopefully all is well.  I'm reading more and more success and recovery stories on delicate nems being treated with cipro.  May even become industry standard with the more delicate species.

That's pretty exciting, actually. 

Very cool that you had a friend knowledgeable enough to help you with this.

Well looks like I'm not getting it.  He's not willing to meet me halfway, or bring it to the city next time he's here.  It will literally take me 3 trains to get to him and about $25 in fares.  Not doing it.  So back to hunting.

• Sad 1