Coral Vue Hydros

Monitpora Nudi?

SaltyBuddha

Little white spikey things. Almost look like goatheads (small thorns that get stuck in your feet). The month seemed to be doing fine but now there are some white spots. Each one seems to have these white spikes on it. 

Nudis? One deadcenter on this pic but it is way bigger than any others I see. Also one white spike on the bleaching part to the right.

0820171353.thumb.jpg.69f24d811d0eba9b15ddfcf757874de7.jpg

RayWhisperer

Tough to tell from the pic, but it probably is. Monti eating nudis are white and spikey, just like you described. Check the underside of the coral for eggs, too. You'll probably find a few more nudis there, too.

• Like 1

Thanks, Ray. And yes, it was nudibranches. I took the cap out and dipped in coral RX and scrubbed all the adults off. Scrapes anything that looks like eggs. Then did and iodine dip. Only on one monti but I dipped both mine to be safe.

Ill keep dipping every other day for the next week or so and see how it goes.

Okinawa_Reefer

Nudi for sure. Those things are hard to combat against. The constant dip will help as it only kills adults and not the eggs. I ended up getting a six line wrasse just to help. Haven't seen any Nudi's in a few months after dipping coral every other day plus the addition of the six line. Good luck!

50 minutes ago, Okinawa_Reefer said:

Nudi for sure. Those things are hard to combat against. The constant dip will help as it only kills adults and not the eggs. I ended up getting a six line wrasse just to help. Haven't seen any Nudi's in a few months after dipping coral every other day plus the addition of the six line. Good luck!

I only have an IM 10 and I already have a clown and a goby. The wrasse would be too much for my tank, so I'm hoping the dips and scraping the eggs of will help. I only have two small caps right now and there were only about 6 or 7 nudis on one cap. I'm hoping me catching it early will help.

Worried about eggs being on the rocks though because I cannot take them out of the tank to clean or treat. 

Okinawa_Reefer

Unfortunately having the adult nudis such as the one you have pictured will prove to be very difficult in getting rid of them completely. Keep up your due diligence and I will hope the best for you! If you do lose the monti caps (fingers crossed that doesn't happen) be sure to not add any back in for 6 months so that you starve out the nudis

• Sad 1
Thrassian Atoll

Definitely looks like monti nudis.  Every single coral I put in my tank has been getting bayer dips.  I just hope I don't have any eggs anywhere that they can hatch from.  If you can, I would bayer dip the pieces I could and go from there.  Heard it's hard to get rid of them once they are in the tank.

I dip every coral in Coral Rx and I did not see any adults when I put these corals in. Introduced both caps on July 30th. Took 3 weeks for these guys to appear. Not sure if they were already in my tank or if they came with the caps. My wife was concerned about the tank, so if anything, it shows that she is started to get attached to the tank too!

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thrassian Atoll
1 hour ago, SaltyBuddha said:

I dip every coral in Coral Rx and I did not see any adults when I put these corals in. Introduced both caps on July 30th. Took 3 weeks for these guys to appear. Not sure if they were already in my tank or if they came with the caps. My wife was concerned about the tank, so if anything, it shows that she is started to get attached to the tank too!

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Did the coral rx kill all of the nudis you saw on the caps?  I chose bayer based on all of the reviews on reefcentral to dip my corals with.  

25 minutes ago, TILTON said:

Did the coral rx kill all of the nudis you saw on the caps?  I chose bayer based on all of the reviews on reefcentral to dip my corals with.  

Yeap it totally did. I let them soak in it for a few minutes then just brushed them off

• Like 1

2nd treatment. 8 minute Coral Rd dip with a scrub and picking off anything I could see with a needle. 12 minute dip in iodine. Followed by a rinse and back in the tank.

Believe it or not, I did not see any more nudis. Maybe some eggs but no adults that I could see. Ill keep up treatment for the next week anyways to be safe.

• 3 weeks later...

Figured I would give an update.

I did not see any nudis after the 1st treatment. Regardless, I did 4 treatments in total. It has been almost 2 weeks and there are no signs on either of my caps. Both are regrowing lost flesh and are looking good.

• Like 2