inTank Media Baskets

Dr. Felicia's Back to Basics IM14 - Retired 2/25/2020

Felicia

On 3/11/2018 at 11:01 PM, Felicia said:

Sorry for being so MIA.  I went out of town for about 9 days and then it was a busy week at work catching up on everything.  Unfortunately the dinos came back while I was gone and made a mess of the tank.  They ended up killing one of my gorgonians (the lacy purple one, which was clearly the most delicate) and my two newest coral additions, the pulsing xenia and the green cloves.  The thick finger leather is still alive, but is really irritated and mostly closed up.  I'm hoping it will recover.  Luckily, everything else was irritated, but otherwise fine.  All of my remaining fish and inverts were also alive and well, including Batman (the new black cardinal).  The only thing I noticed wrong otherwise is that my pom pom crab seems to have lost both of his anemones, which has me the most upset of anything.  He's still doing well, but I feel so bad that he doesn't have any anemones anymore.  I'm not sure what happened there.  Poor, adorable little guy.  :(

Anyways, I did a big water change and then a full 4 days of total blackout and now the tank is looking great again.  We'll see if/when the dinos come back again.  I'm hoping they will eventually go away.  Such a pain!

In other news, I grabbed a replacement clownfish from my LFS to keep my remaining clown company.  My little misbar is a true percula, so I got a Sustainable Aquatic Onyx percula.  The new clownfish is a decent amount larger than the little misbar, so my hope is that they wouldn't fight too much to figure out dominance.  So far they seem to be getting along without any fighting.  They spend a lot of time doing their own separate thing, but some of the time they behave like a pair, so I'm hoping they'll become more of a pair over time.

Also, I stopped by my friends' place who took a lot of my corals from the 40B and grabbed a couple of my original corals.  I picked up my green nepthea, which had been struggling but finally has been making a comeback recently.  I also picked up a frag of my original strain of pulsing xenia (this strain goes back to one of the first corals in my 10 gallon).  So far they seem to be doing ok in my tank.  I'm planning to do another water change in the next day or two and then I'll try to get some new photos.

“More of a pair” sounds like reefer code.  Clowns are fun.  On my 6 month old 120G tank, I added all fish at month five.  This included five aquacultured Ocelarious Clowns.  In previous years, with an intro of immature clowns, the two dominant fish choose each other, then they ganged up on each individual fish and eliminated them.   Some of you ladies out there may chuckle when Anthony Calfo discribes clownfish hierarchy:  as immature male, then Super Male, then Female.  

On 4/25/2018 at 12:51 PM, Felicia said:

Frustratingly...I really haven't made much progress.  Right now I'm just keeping them at bay enough to not kill a bunch of my corals.  I've done multiple 4-day tank blackouts and now I'm about two weeks into dosing DinoX.  People recommend not doing water changes with dinos, so I've stopped doing weekly water changes and that seems to have made it worse.  I decided to completely replace all of the stages of my RODI system to see if that could be an issue.  This weekend I'm planning to do several large water changes now that all the RODI filtration stages are brand new and see if that helps.

I've got the solution to all of your algae problems!!!!!!!

Get rid of all fish :D :lol: 

No really!!!!!  It totally works.  Algae (cyano, dino) free and fish free over here :happydance: 

Without a means to export fish waste in little aquariums, it's a losing battle.  Get rid of the poop (fish) and you get rid of the water quality issues.  That's my take away from being fish free for several weeks now.  Unless you want to add a protein skimmer to your tank.  That would probably really help.  But I know removing fish works :).

• Like 1
On 4/26/2018 at 9:14 AM, Lugmos12 said:

Why skip water changes?

I dont remember the exact reason however my LFS explained that dinos will actually thrive right after a water change. 

LogicalReefs

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL tank. I’ve been wanting peninsula style tank for awhile. Would you recommend this or the 20? Or maybe even a fully built out one with a sump? 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/27/2018 at 5:28 PM, LogicalReefs said:

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL tank. I’ve been wanting peninsula style tank for awhile. Would you recommend this or the 20? Or maybe even a fully built out one with a sump? 

On 4/27/2018 at 8:57 PM, VictoryBell said:

Love, love, love this tank!

On 7/20/2018 at 12:22 PM, PshThisGuy said:

Finally finished the thread. Love the tank! Any update on the Dino battle? 

On 9/14/2018 at 7:48 PM, Firefish15 said:

Awesome looking tank! 

On 9/19/2018 at 10:24 AM, Christopher Marks said:

How has your summer been @Felicia? We sure miss you, hope you and your reef are well! ❤️ 

On 9/19/2018 at 10:48 AM, Polarcollision said:

Yeah! Come back. I miss you around here

On 9/19/2018 at 10:51 AM, Pjanssen said:

Ditto Dat!

On 9/19/2018 at 4:00 PM, Lula_Mae said:

+1

Thank you all for continuing to check out my thread!  Sorry, I took another much needed break and checked out for a while.  I've noticed since I finished school and started working full time that I don't always have the energy to post much about my tank on top of everything else I try to keep up with.  I definitely go through spurts in terms of how much energy I have to dedicate to my aquarium and posting.  I do however always miss my NR friends and the community, even when I'm taking a much needed breather from aquariums to focus on other things.  I've actually been putting a lot more focus on getting back into going diving really regularly.  I've been diving 1-2 times per month and have a couple dive trips planned for this year including a scuba vacation to Fiji at the end of 2019.  I also had a pretty major life change because I moved out of the apartment I'd been in for 8.5 years to upgrade to a single family home.  I moved on November 10, 2018 and I've been spending a lot of time since then focused on unpacking, getting settled in, working on the yard and landscaping that was a bit neglected, and hosting guests for the holidays.  I finally just had my big housewarming party this past weekend now that I'm fully settled in.  Moving is exhausting!

Anyways, sorry for checking out on you guys again!  How about an update on the aquarium?  I think I FINALLY kicked the dinos.  I was fighting them for months and I had gotten them reduced to the point that they were manageable, but they were still there.  There just weren't enough of them to smother and kill my corals, but they were also irritating my corals enough that nothing was thriving.  When I moved, I removed all the rock, corals, and inhabitants from the tank and gave it a super deep cleaning.  I also removed and threw away the sandbed.  I then set up the aquarium at my new house on the floor (I moved the tank before the piece of furniture it sits on) and it ran with no sand bed on my floor for about a month while I dealt with the main unpacking and such after the move.  Then I moved the aquarium back up onto the dresser it sits on and at that time I put in a brand new sand bed.  Since the move, the dinos have completely disappeared and have been gone for ~3 months, so hopefully they're gone for good.  I lost a lot of my gorgonians early on in the dino battle and a lot of the zoa colonies and the ricordea garden shrunk down.  Now everything is just in recovery mode and is slowly filling back in.  I've mostly just been letting the tank run on autopilot with monthly water changes and very few additions.

I did have one set-back recently because my female clownfish just keeps getting meaner.  She actually ended up killing the small male clownfish, as well as a cleaner shrimp and a neon goby.  I just finished replacing those fish with a bit larger/spunkier fish that I think will do better standing up to my female clownfish.  Other than that, I really haven't changed much with the tank.

Anyways, getting the new fish inspired me to finally take some very overdue photos of the tank and I figured I would share here.  So here you go! 😊

FTS 2/11/19

46156203455_235f657d71_z.jpg

New pink streaked wrasse

46156201455_caeee8dd6d_z.jpg

46345947604_ae8b251f0e_z.jpg

New misbar percula clownfish

46156201145_44772d76a7_z.jpg

The witchy female onyx percula clownfish

46345947354_f9135f25f5_z.jpg

The clown pair.  So far so good with the new misbar percula.

46156200725_d559587c5c_z.jpg

New cleaner shrimp

46345948204_0ca1246f55_z.jpg

Yellow watchman goby

46156200495_6966e934fa_z.jpg

Cleaner shrimp with the green nepthea, green kenya tree, and weeping willow toadstool.

46156200985_533a27aaf8_z.jpg

Florida Ricordea

46345948654_8abb257794_z.jpg

Leathers

46156202995_374686590d_z.jpg

Assorted zonathids

46345948394_354036b1a1_z.jpg

Palythoas

46156202615_4a96e8aafa_z.jpg

Green nepthea and green kenya tree leather.

46156202275_944d0eec7b_z.jpg

Photosynthetic gorgonian

46345948054_15cd417fb0_z.jpg

Cespitularia

46345947924_9c7a94628f_z.jpg

46156201995_954de81420_z.jpg

Weeping willow toadstool and St. Thomas mushroom

46345947754_82403e08a3_z.jpg

St. Thomas mushroom

46156201715_16d33f12a5_z.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 3

Welcome back.

Congrats on the new house and beating the Dinos! 

The tank looks fantastic, are you going to add some more gorgonians back to the tank? I think you definitely should 🙂 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Welcome back, Felicia. Your tank looks stunning. Love the wrasse too. :happy:

Thank you!  I'm glad to finally update everyone on the tank.  I had forgotten how much I had missed having wrasses.  They're awesome fish.

7 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Welcome back.

Congrats on the new house and beating the Dinos! 

The tank looks fantastic, are you going to add some more gorgonians back to the tank? I think you definitely should 🙂 

Thank you!  I do plan to add some more gorgonians, but I have a couple specific species I want and I've been having a hard time finding the couple I want in stock at the same time.  I don't really want to pay shipping twice, so I've been holding off.  Also, the leathers have gotten so big that I'm running out of real estate a bit, but I think I could squeeze like two more in to give it some nice height in there.

3 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

Congrats on getting back into diving! What certification are you? I'm a PADI AOW.

Tank looks great too!

Thank you!  I took a couple year hiatus from it while I was finishing my PhD and then settling into working full time.  I got back into it last June and have been trying to go about once a month.  I did my Open Water and Advanced through NAUI back in 2010.  Then I did Stress and Rescue through SSI in 2012.  I'm planning to do my Nitrox specialty this year in preparation for my week long dive trip to Fiji.

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Welcome back @Felicia, it's great to see you! ❤️ Congrats on your new home, how exciting! 

11 hours ago, Felicia said:

FTS 2/11/19

46156203455_235f657d71_z.jpg

Your reef is looking well after all the big changes! I'm glad you were able to kick the dino outbreak in the move too, replacing the sand bed seems to make a big impact in those cases. I love the new pink streaked wrasse you've added, hopefully the onyx clown chills out!

Polarcollision

I'm so relieved to see that your tank has turned around. I know how much you love and care for your reefs and get how bummed and frustrating it can be with tough problems. Thanks for sharing how you got through it too. Enjoy your diving and the new house - very good reasons to be away from NR.

• Like 1

Its great to hear from you Felicia.  Your tank looks wonderful and I am glad that you are dino free.  I like your choice of fish and the witchy female clown looks like a teddy bear.  I guess looks can be deceiving.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...