Dr. Felicia's Back to Basics IM14 - Retired 2/25/2020

Felicia

FTS February 18, 2018

39455168135_09578d9ce6_c.jpg

Tank was started August 21, 2017.

36544213221_d8a78c01d2_c.jpg

Specifications

Tank

• Innovative Marine 14 Gallon Peninsula AIO (20"L x 12"D x 13"H)

Rock and Sand

• 9.7 lbs of Real Reef Rock
  • Arag-Alive Fiji Pink Sand

Lighting

• Aqua Illuminations Prime HD

Flow

• Sicce Syncra Silent 1.0 Return Pump
  • Innovative Marine AUQA Gadget Spin Steam
  • MP10 Quiet Drive

Filtration

• inTank Media Rack with filter pad, Purigen, and Chemi-Pure Blue

Heating

• Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 100 Watt Heater
  • Inkbird Digital Temperature Controller

Auto Top-Off

• AutoAqua Smart Micro ATO
  • Innovative Marine AUQA Gadget HydroFill Ti Reservoir

RO/DI System

• Bulk Reef Supply 5 Stage RO/DI System

Livestock

Fish

• Yellow Watchman Goby
  • Misbar Percula Clownfish
  • Black Cardinalfish

Inverts

• Porcelain Anemone Crab
  • Pom Pom Crab
  • Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  • Randall's Pistol Shrimp
  • 2 Nano Serpent Starfish (Ophioderma cinereum)
  • Pincushion Urchin (Lytchinus variegatus)
  • Nassarius Snails
  • Trochus Snails

History

October 27, 2017

26218259579_eb89ab3150_c.jpg

October 11, 2017

37616715552_42dc205c4b_c.jpg

September 24, 2017

37046745700_c5c8c07439_c.jpg

August 28, 2017

36885873725_ea5d20a2b4_c.jpg

• Like 19

36287259600_dd46c2e96e_o.jpg

I'm back!  Sorry for ghosting on everyone, but I really just burned out on the hobby and needed a serious break.  I took down my Predator Paradise tank on February 29, 2017 because I was just exhausted by maintaining it.  While that was my favorite tank to date, it was quite a bit of work to keep up with, and it was going down hill due to me not putting the time and effort into maintenance that it needed.  All of the corals and inhabitants were re-homed locally, mostly to a couple of my friends from the local aquarium club.

Anyways, I've had a 6 month break and I started to get the itch again for a reef tank.  I knew I couldn't go without having a tank at all, so when I took down the reef, I upgraded my freshwater planted tank into a 10 gallon.  That tank just wasn't cutting it for me, so I started planning a new reef.  Going into this, I know that I still don't have a ton of extra time and energy for maintenance.  I work in engineering consulting, which is so much fun because it changes day to day and I get to work on so many diverse projects and constantly learn new things.  However, because my workload changes constantly, there are times where I am too busy at work to want to exert much effort maintaining a tank.  I need a tank set-up that can take a bit of neglect, such as missing a water change, and still be ok.  In order to create an easy system, I've set some strict rules for myself:

1. No high maintenance equipment, such as skimmers and media reactors!  We're going back to basics with just a media rack for filtration.
  2. No dosing!  This means no LPS, SPS, or clams.  This will be a softies and gorgonians tank, which is my favorite anyway! :D
  3. No high maintenance fish!  I will only stock with fish that will eat entirely pellets/flake foods.  No finicky eaters!
  4. Water changes will be at a frequency of approximately once per month.  This means no overstocking the bioload!
  5. Faster maintenance and no mixing/lugging huge quantities of water!  This meant going back to a smaller, true nano tank.

In planning this tank, I took inspiration from my original Diver's Paradise tanks.  I started with a simple 10 gallon and then upgraded to a 30 gallon.  Both just had hang on back filters and were very unsophisticated, but my corals/fish thrived and they were easy to maintain.  Those tanks were created when I was new to the hobby and just learning, so my goal is to go back to basics and replicate those easy tanks in a much more sophisticated/experienced way.

Diver's Paradise - 10 gallon (my first ever saltwater tank)

36636965486_006049367a_o.jpg

Diver's Paradise - 30 gallon

35873720683_4aa024e894_o.jpg

My plan for this tank is to stock it with easy corals.  I want to put in several gorgonians for height plus a mixture of leathers, mushrooms, zoanthids, and palythoas.  In terms of fish, I'd like to get a very young/small clown pair from a friend of mine who breeds clowns.  I also want to get a yellow watchman goby and pistol pair.  I had a pair in my original tank that were with me for ~4 years and I really miss those two.  You can see them in the bottom of the photo of my 10 gallon tank.  I will start with that and then depending on how the bioload seems, I may add a fishfish or a tailspot blenny.  I also want to get a scarlet cleaner shrimp and other fun small, inverts that will be easier to spot in this smaller tank.  I'm thinking a nano serpent star, a pom pom crab, and some hermit crabs.

• Like 15

I picked the IM 14 Peninsula, because I like tanks with a bit longer profile instead of cubes.  It was in the size range of what I wanted and had the right dimensions to fit in the spot where my freshwater planted tank had been sitting.  I wanted an all-in-one because I don't like the look of hang on back equipment, so this way there is no sump but the equipment is still hidden.  

I'm keeping this tank stock, with the exception of replacing the filter sock with an inTank media basket so I can run filter pad and some Chemi-Pure blue.  In terms of equipment, I'm mostly using leftover equipment from previous tanks.  However, the float switch for my JBJ ATO would not fit in the return chamber of the IM 14, so I just ordered the AutoAqua Smart Micro ATO.  I also bought the IM ATO reservoir.  Since the ATO reservoir is going to be sitting out in my living room on the floor next to the tank, I wanted it to be something attractive looking.  The IM reservoir is really nice looking and well built!  Also, the pull out drawer for filling seems super convenient.

My goal for this weekend was to take down the freshwater tank, set up the new tank  with all the equipment, organize the electrical cords, get the RODI unit back up and running, and build a screen lid.  I've completed all of that with the exception of the few pieces of equipment that haven't arrived yet (media basket, heater controller, ATO).  I ordered a 20 lb bag of Fiji pink sand that is supposed to arrive Monday.  Next weekend, I'll put in the sand, rock, water and get it started cycling.  I plan to go to an LFS next weekend to buy some Real Reef rock and then work out the scape.

Alright, here are some more pictures.

36544216171_7274c02bfa_c.jpg

You can see I have the tank sitting on a black silicone placemat with a small lip to retain any water drips from maintenance and protect the dresser the tank is sitting on.

35873137213_ceca696d4f_c.jpg

The crazy blue glow is back!

35873136153_f0bf6e6030_c.jpg

Finished up the new screen lid today.

35873132523_c46123f1db_c.jpg

Lily says hi!  She is not impressed with this new tank so far.  The freshwater tank that was in this spot didn't have a lid and she'd taken to drinking out of it and pawing at the guppies.  For once we had a tank that she was way more interested in than I was.  I actually felt bad taking down her freshwater tank today.  She won't be able to drink out of this one, but she enjoyed sitting on the dresser watching the fish in the FW tank, so hopefully that will be the case with this new tank.  With my previous tanks, they were on stands without any extra space around the tank, so she couldn't sit right up next to the tank.  Now she can, so hopefully she'll enjoy watching it.

36544215481_dd9a2cdd20_c.jpg

• Like 21

Yay! This is such a nice looking tank, and I'm sure you'll have it looking amazing in no time! I like the stocking plans too, nice and simple. Welcome back to reefing!

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Felicia said:

36287259600_dd46c2e96e_o.jpg

I'm back!  Sorry for ghosting on everyone, but I really just burned out on the hobby and needed a serious break.  I took down my Predator Paradise tank on February 29, 2016 because I was just exhausted by maintaining it.  While that was my favorite tank to date, it was quite a bit of work to keep up with, and it was going down hill due to me not putting the time and effort into maintenance that it needed.  All of the corals and inhabitants were re-homed locally, mostly to a couple of my friends from the local aquarium club.

Anyways, I've had a 6 month break and I started to get the itch again for a reef tank.  I knew I couldn't go without having a tank at all, so when I took down the reef, I upgraded my freshwater planted tank into a 10 gallon.  That tank just wasn't cutting it for me, so I started planning a new reef.  Going into this, I know that I still don't have a ton of extra time and energy for maintenance.  I work in engineering consulting, which is so much fun because it changes day to day and I get to work on so many diverse projects and constantly learn new things.  However, because my workload changes constantly, there are times where I am too busy at work to want to exert much effort maintaining a tank.  I need a tank set-up that can take a bit of neglect, such as missing a water change, and still be ok.  In order to create an easy system, I've set some strict rules for myself:

1. No high maintenance equipment, such as skimmers and media reactors!  We're going back to basics with just a media rack for filtration.
  2. No dosing!  This means no LPS, SPS, or clams.  This will be a softies and gorgonians tank, which is my favorite anyway! :D
  3. No high maintenance fish!  I will only stock with fish that will eat entirely pellets/flake foods.  No finicky eaters!
  4. Water changes will be at a frequency of approximately once per month.  This means no overstocking the bioload!
  5. Faster maintenance and no mixing/lugging huge quantities of water!  This meant going back to a smaller, true nano tank.

In planning this tank, I took inspiration from my original Diver's Paradise tanks.  I started with a simple 10 gallon and then upgraded to a 30 gallon.  Both just had hang on back filters and were very unsophisticated, but my corals/fish thrived and they were easy to maintain.  Those tanks were created when I was new to the hobby and just learning, so my goal is to go back to basics and replicate those easy tanks in a much more sophisticated/experienced way.

Diver's Paradise - 10 gallon (my first ever saltwater tank)

36636965486_006049367a_o.jpg

Diver's Paradise - 30 gallon

35873720683_4aa024e894_o.jpg

My plan for this tank is to stock it with easy corals.  I want to put in several gorgonians for height plus a mixture of leathers, mushrooms, zoanthids, and palythoas.  In terms of fish, I'd like to get a very young/small clown pair from a friend of mine who breeds clowns.  I also want to get a yellow watchman goby and pistol pair.  I had a pair in my original tank that were with me for ~4 years and I really miss those two.  You can see them in the bottom of the photo of my 10 gallon tank.  I will start with that and then depending on how the bioload seems, I may add a fishfish or a tailspot blenny.  I also want to get a scarlet cleaner shrimp and other fun small, inverts that will be easier to spot in this smaller tank.  I'm thinking a nano serpent star, a pom pom crab, and some hermit crabs.

Omg, you're back, hooraaaaay!!! omgomgomg

You probably don't know me, I was on N-R several years back and took a break from Reefing for a while, I think I came back during the time you were taking your break.

However, I have seen some of what you did in your Predator's Paradise and loved it, as I know many others on here did. 

I prefer simple, low-tech tanks myself and look forward seeing what you do in this one. 

Have you considered making Macroalgae a part of this tank?

Asking because Macro are so good at taking nutrients out of the water, thus giving you a bit of a "buffer" in maintenance, and there are so many attractive display Macros available. 

Welcome back!!

• Like 9
fishfreak0114

Glad to see you're back!  Predator's Paradise was such a beautiful tank and inspired me to try predators one day when space and money allows.  I can't wait to see what you do with this tank!

• Like 2

I've been waiting so patiently for this :lol:.  Yay :happydance:

Fun to see your old tanks again.  I have loved each and every one you've created and I can't wait to get to know this one too :D.

I didn't realize how sharp looking the 14 peninsula is until I saw your photos!  Hmmmm....if I were to upgrade (after I move), I will keep this tank in mind.  I really like the shape.  And I would totally keep it the way you have it set up...not as a peninsula.  I like how it looks this way.

• Like 2

Yay, I'm so glad you're back! I have about eight inches of unused space in front of my IM10 on the desk, and I've thought about putting the 14g peninsula in the same spot as an upgrade. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out - your tanks are always so nice.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yay! This is such a nice looking tank, and I'm sure you'll have it looking amazing in no time! I like the stocking plans too, nice and simple. Welcome back to reefing!

Thank you for the warm welcome back!  I'm excited to get it going!  I'm usually more of a DIY person when it comes to tanks, so this is my first time buying one of these AIO kit type tanks.  I'm very impressed with the quality so far and how easy it was to set up.  Hopefully it will come together the way I'm envisioning it!

5 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Welcome back! I love softie tanks. I know this will look awesome!

Softie tanks seem to be getting more appreciation lately!  I really love them!  Its funny because when I first started in the hobby, it was all easy softies and then it just kept advancing to more and more SPS.  Now that I've been in this hobby for a while, I'm back at the beginning with the easy softies! :lol:  Thank you for the kind words!  Hopefully I can make my vision come together for this tank.  Scaping a little tank like this is going to be a challenge, since its been quite a while since I've had anything smaller than a 30 gallon.

4 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Omg, you're back, hooraaaaay!!! omgomgomg

You probably don't know me, I was on N-R several years back and took a break from Reefing for a while, I think I came back during the time you were taking your break.

However, I have seen some of what you did in your Predator's Paradise and loved it, as I know many others on here did. 

I prefer simple, low-tech tanks myself and look forward seeing what you do in this one. 

Have you considered making Macroalgae a part of this tank?

Asking because Macro are so good at taking nutrients out of the water, thus giving you a bit of a "buffer" in maintenance, and there are so many attractive display Macros available. 

Welcome back!!

Thank you for the welcome!  I'm glad to be back!  I've missed the NR community!  Welcome back from your break as well!  I've definitely heard your name and seen your tanks around the forums, but I don't think we had really talked much.  I'll have to check out your tanks!

The engineer in me always wants to keep adding more tech and more complexity to tanks, but ultimately, it ends up adding so much maintenance work!  I have to reign that desire in for this tank.  Low-tech is definitely so much easier.

I actually have considered macro algae, but I am just not good with plants.  I admire these beautiful macro tanks and FW planted tanks, but then I can never get the macros placed the way I want and stuff.  They always end up looking like a ratty mess to me instead of a lush aquascape.  I originally added a bunch to my softie seahorse tank and then ended up removing all of them.  Also, the FW planted tank I just took down was the same case.  It was an ADA 10 gallon and I had this whole plants and wood scape in mind, but the tank just ended up being a pile of messy plants :lol: I can keep corals, but plants don't work for me!  They would sure help with nutrients though, but I'm hoping the gorgs and softies will do a pretty decent job sucking up nutrients.

4 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Welcome back!  Following. :)

Thank you!  And thank you for following along!  This will be a bit of a slow startup since I'm taking my time, but hopefully I won't bore everyone!  :D

3 hours ago, metrokat said:

Aww man Felicia. 100 days earlier and you would have been part of the contest. 

I saw that!  It was great to have so many of these tanks set up to look at for ideas and to decide on which tank I wanted.  I was down between the IM Fusion 10 and the IM 14, and there were a bunch of each here on NR to look at.  I ultimately decided I wanted less of a cube and just a bit more space to hopefully have some open sandbed.  The contest is fun!  I definitely have a favorite from the bunch, but they all look awesome!  I'm taking this tank slow and reusing a bunch of old equipment though, so I probably wouldn't have done well with the contest.  When are the winners announced?

2 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Welcome back!  Nice tank, for sure, and looking forward to seeing how this shapes up :)

Thank you!  Its good to be back!  I definitely have been keeping your tank in mind as I've been considering setting up a new tank and planning this one.  Your small tank that is over 7 years old and seems very low maintenance is definitely an inspiration!  I'm hoping I can set up something I love and then just let it mature, while I enjoy it without a ton of fiddling and upgrading and such.

2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Awesome write up so far!  Keep the updates coming!!  I think you can still sneak in some low maintenance LPS =P

Enjoyed my novel, huh?  :lol:  I'll keep updating as this tank comes along.  I'll probably mostly be posting on weekends, which is when I'll be working on this tank.  I'm also doing to take things slow, so hopefully you all don't get bored!  I feel like I need to stick to my hard and fast rules because its a slippery slope.  Its like, well that one is fine without dosing, so let's add another, and then another, and then disaster.  If I do break my rule, it will be for a frag of my lavender lace duncan.  A friend has a lot of my corals, including my duncan colony that I'd grown out from a frag of two heads over ~5 years.  I may make one exception to put a frag of that back in this tank.  Otherwise, no LPS, no clams, and no SPS allowed!  Although I will miss clams!

2 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Glad to see you're back!  Predator's Paradise was such a beautiful tank and inspired me to try predators one day when space and money allows.  I can't wait to see what you do with this tank!

Thank you!  Its nice to be back!  I missed the NR community.  I will always miss my predator tank and it will be very hard to beat.  Hopefully someday when I have space, time, and energy, I'll have a large predator reef.  I definitely recommend predators when you're able to keep them.  They were my favorite fish!  I'm sure this tank won't compare to the Predator Paradise, but hopefully it'll come together and be a simple, but enjoyable tank.

49 minutes ago, gena said:

I've been waiting so patiently for this :lol:.  Yay :happydance:

Fun to see your old tanks again.  I have loved each and every one you've created and I can't wait to get to know this one too :D.

I didn't realize how sharp looking the 14 peninsula is until I saw your photos!  Hmmmm....if I were to upgrade (after I move), I will keep this tank in mind.  I really like the shape.  And I would totally keep it the way you have it set up...not as a peninsula.  I like how it looks this way.

I know!  I bet you were itching to reveal my plans :D.  Thank you for all your help answering my questions about the IM tanks and your maintenance routine!  You really helped me decide what to get and how to set this up.

Yeah, I thought it was fun to dig out pictures of the old tanks.  They were kind of a hot mess, but fun and I still thought they were beautiful, just in a less refined way.

Yeah I hadn't seen any of the IM tanks in person, so I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and how sharp it looks.  If you ever want to upgrade, I think this still qualifies as a small tank :P.  You're all about staying under 20 gallons right?  I considered anything between 10 and 20 gallons when I first start planning this tank and I am really glad I didn't go up to 20.  This 14 seems plenty big enough and fits nicely in the space I had for it.  Its small, but not too tiny and crammed.  Hopefully I'll still feel that way once I start trying to scape :lol:.  I was a bit worried about it being a peninsula but me having it sitting not as a peninsula.  I don't think it looks weird that way though.  And actually, having the AIO chambers off to the side makes getting into them much easier than reaching up over to the back of the tank.  That was my big complaint with the seahorse tank was just trying to access the back chambers for maintenance.  This way the chamber are right at the side of the dresser, where I can easily reach without any leaning.

19 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Yay, I'm so glad you're back! I have about eight inches of unused space in front of my IM10 on the desk, and I've thought about putting the 14g peninsula in the same spot as an upgrade. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out - your tanks are always so nice.

Thank you!  I've been ninjaing around the last couple weeks looking at tanks to try to decide what I wanted to do.  I spent a ton of time looking at your IM10 thread.  :)  I ultimately decided to go with the 14 over the 10 just because of dimensions, but the AIO is identical to the 10, so I spent a lot of time looking at what you and others had done in terms of equipment and maintenance and such.  Hopefully I can pull off something nice in this little tank!  I'm definitely not going to try to live up to the Predator Paradise, but I'm hoping I can pull off a good looking tank in a small package.  Its been a long time since I've had a sub-30 gallon tank.

• Like 12
3 minutes ago, Felicia said:

I know!  I bet you were itching to reveal my plans :D.  Thank you for all your help answering my questions about the IM tanks and your maintenance routine!  You really helped me decide what to get and how to set this up.

Yeah, I thought it was fun to dig out pictures of the old tanks.  They were kind of a hot mess, but fun and I still thought they were beautiful, just in a less refined way.

Yeah I hadn't seen any of the IM tanks in person, so I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and how sharp it looks.  If you ever want to upgrade, I think this still qualifies as a small tank :P.  You're all about staying under 20 gallons right?  I considered anything between 10 and 20 gallons when I first start planning this tank and I am really glad I didn't go up to 20.  This 14 seems plenty big enough and fits nicely in the space I had for it.  Its small, but not too tiny and crammed.  Hopefully I'll still feel that way once I start trying to scape :lol:.  I was a bit worried about it being a peninsula but me having it sitting not as a peninsula.  I don't think it looks weird that way though.  And actually, having the AIO chambers off to the side makes getting into them much easier than reaching up over to the back of the tank.  That was my big complaint with the seahorse tank was just trying to access the back chambers for maintenance.  This way the chamber are right at the side of the dresser, where I can easily reach without any leaning.

No problem :).  I had fun helping you decide!!!!! 

I would totally do the 14 if I decide I want more space.  I'm pretty happy with the 10 but let's face it, it's fun to upgrade.... to a point LOL.  I would not go over 14 though.  Even the 20 drop-off was too big.  I see what you mean about the ease of the chambers being on the side.  I like the sound of that! 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, gena said:

No problem :).  I had fun helping you decide!!!!! 

I would totally do the 14 if I decide I want more space.  I'm pretty happy with the 10 but let's face it, it's fun to upgrade.... to a point LOL.  I would not go over 14 though.  Even the 20 drop-off was too big.  I see what you mean about the ease of the chambers being on the side.  I like the sound of that! 

It always fun to pick out new equipment!  I'm definitely thrilled with everything so far, so thanks for pointing me in the right direction!  That IM reservoir was also definitely the way to go and now I am excited to see this tiny micro ATO system.

Oh yes, upgrades are always fun, which is my whole problem with this hobby.  Once this tank is set up, no upgrades allowed for a LONG time!  I had not even thought about the chamber being on the side making life easier until I was setting up all the equipment yesterday.  I was like, wow, I don't have to sit on the floor or bend over to get to the sump or reach over/lean around to get to back chambers.  They're just right there!  I was a bit worried I wouldn't like seeing the AIO section off on the side, but IM has designed it so its very sleek and I was able to get the cords to still go out over the back side so they're not visible down the end of the tank.  Basically you just see the light mount on the end of the tank, which isn't too bad.

2 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Nice!

Thank you! :flower:

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Lawnman said:

:happydance: welcome back! Soft corals and gorgs :wub: 

Thank you!  And exactly, they are the best!  :wub:  I don't think I could have a tank without photosynthetic gorgonians anymore.

• Like 1
Just now, ninjamyst said:

my next nano tank will be a carribean theme tank with lots and lots of rics and gorgonians.  Can't wait to see this one mature.  Where are you planning on getting your gorgonians from?  KP Aquatic?

I'd do an entirely Caribbean/Florida Keys biotope except that really limits the fish.  I'd like to have a pair of clowns, so I won't be doing a full biotope, but it will be heavily Caribbean/Florida Keys themed.  I love KP Aquatics, and yep, I will definitely be placing an order with them eventually.  I need to kind of take stock of what I have immediate access to first.  A good chunk of my corals from the Predator Paradise tank are 10 minutes up the road at a friend's house.  I am going to probably go take frags off of some of those and then decide what else I want to order.  I'll definitely be ordering a few gorgs, rics, and inverts from KPA eventually.  KPA has the best gorgonians, hands down!

• Like 4

Ok, one last tank photo for the weekend.  Filled it with some RODI water for a leak and pump test.  This water will get drained back out when I'm ready to add sand, but wanted to make sure everything was working correctly and there were no leaks.  So far so good.  The stock pump and my MP10 quiet drive both seem to be working well.  I've also been leak testing the ATO reservoir since last night and it seems to be good to go!

36650704366_6c6d2cf5bd_c.jpg

Also, Lily says hi!

36650703206_cfc568b2e4_c.jpg

• Like 10

Welcome back! I was wondering what happened to you. I did the IM14 contest tank and stocked it as a Florida Biotope. Lots of Gorgs and Macros. I love it, easy to maintain. Like @Weetabix7 says, the macros really help to keep the nutrients down. KP was awesome for almost all of my livestock. Looking forward to seeing what you do here.

4 hours ago, metrokat said:

Aww man Felicia. 100 days earlier and you would have been part of the contest. 

I think some of us may be glad that she's late to the party:lol::P

• Like 2
  • Haha 5