SaltCritters.com

Dr. Felicia's Back to Basics IM14 - Retired 2/25/2020

Felicia

pappadumplingz

The yumas aren't illegal here since they are native, but a current craze means that some can reach $600 Aus plus. The rule is no invertebrates from overseas, which really limits the different morphs we can get and increases cost of coral dramatically. It was really cool seeing the gobies and shrimp in the wild. Sometimes there were pair of two fish in a burrow with one shrimp.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Felicia said:

I took SOOOOOOO many photos last night...be ready for a serious photo update this evening.  Also be on the lookout for a new video!

Holy moly the first pic I saw coming back in here was a tang and I thought...wow...you are going all out omgomgomg:lol: .   Looking forward to the new pics and a video :happydance:.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, vlangel said:

I am ready!

Sorry, guys!  I was super tired last night when I got home and didn't get the photos posted.  I just uploaded them in Flickr and will get them posted momentarily. :D

21 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

The yumas aren't illegal here since they are native, but a current craze means that some can reach $600 Aus plus. The rule is no invertebrates from overseas, which really limits the different morphs we can get and increases cost of coral dramatically. It was really cool seeing the gobies and shrimp in the wild. Sometimes there were pair of two fish in a burrow with one shrimp.

The expensive mushroom craze is definitely a thing here right now too.  I wish that would die down.  Mushrooms that used to be really inexpensive are now very pricey.  I did not realize that Australia had that rule about importing inverts.  I bet that does really limit the coral market there.  So jealous you got to see shrimp gobies with their shrimp in the wild.  Diver's Den had a mated pair of shrimp gobies with a shrimp yesterday for some ridiculous amount of money.  Such fascinating dynamics.  I love my YWG and his pistol buddy.  :wub:

6 hours ago, gena said:

Holy moly the first pic I saw coming back in here was a tang and I thought...wow...you are going all out omgomgomg:lol: .   Looking forward to the new pics and a video :happydance:.

Haha!  Yeah, please don't sic the tang police on me! :lol:  I do miss my tomini tang, but she would definitely be cramped in this tank.  :lol:  Pictures and video coming shortly....

• Like 2
pappadumplingz

We would get such cheap corals and inverts if we could import. All the mariculture, fishing villages and aquaculture facilities are really close to us (south east Asia and the pacific islands). Our skunk cleaners cost around the $110 mark, due to the reef being a lot further out than the south East Asian reefs.

• Wow 1

Alright, time for the promised photos!

Let's start with some new full tank shots.  One of the gorgonians was shedding, so it doesn't have its polyps out in the photos.

37701830125_03f91811c9_c.jpg

37701827775_dd45b12ab8_c.jpg

The yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp now have a whole system of tunnels throughout the left half of the tank.  They now kind of alternate which entrance they're hanging out at.  When I took the photos, they were hanging out at the entrance right by the front glass, so I got some nice photos of the YWG.  The male clownfish was trying to be all buddy-buddy with the YWG.

38557127082_5ea371e92b_c.jpg

38557127872_6519fc530b_c.jpg

37701825585_c0a5b1becf_c.jpg

Here's the porcelain crab and pom pom crab hanging out together.  I still don't get why the porcelain crab moved into the pom pom crab's territory suddenly.  At least they don't seem to be fighting.

26813429789_f9f188d988_c.jpg

The Pederson's anemone shrimp hanging out on the ricordea.

37701829415_ef22fc3538_c.jpg

Top-down shot of the ricordea.

38557125012_9442942868_c.jpg

The St. Thomas mushroom.

38557126242_f9e8076f76_c.jpg

Zoanthids and palythoas.  They all seem to be doing well and putting out new polyps.

37701828635_212e60a4b7_c.jpg

38557129602_c10e248527_c.jpg

Xenia and finger leather.

37701826345_031a03f61f_c.jpg

And for the grand finale...the weeping willow toadstool.

24717556748_b956cfd46e_c.jpg

24717556168_135741d949_c.jpg

• Like 10
  • Wow 2
34 minutes ago, pappadumplingz said:

We would get such cheap corals and inverts if we could import. All the mariculture, fishing villages and aquaculture facilities are really close to us (south east Asia and the pacific islands). Our skunk cleaners cost around the $110 mark, due to the reef being a lot further out than the south East Asian reefs.

Wow!  That is one expensive skunk cleaner!  Its too bad they won't allow import since so much of the collection is so close to Australia.  Is it because they're worried about ending up with invasive species?

29 minutes ago, pappadumplingz said:

Great PE on the willow toadstool, really cool morph of the sarcophyton coral.

Yeah, the weeping willow toadstool is a very interesting morphs and one of my favorite corals in this tank.  It seems to be doing well so far.  Maybe it will drop some babies eventually.

In addition to a beautiful choreography of dancing colors, I am always uplifted by your music choice.  

May you you enjoy your Thanksgiving.  I am thankful for many things.  That vidio was very nice.  Thank you for taking the time and sharing.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Subsea said:

In addition to a beautiful choreography of dancing colors, I am always uplifted by your music choice.  

May you you enjoy your Thanksgiving.  I am thankful for many things.  That vidio was very nice.  Thank you for taking the time and sharing.

Thank you!  I'm on a 90's music kick lately. :)  Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!  I also have a ton to be thankful for!  I always enjoy sharing and talking about my tank.  I'm glad you enjoyed. :)

4 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Wow you have a lot of flow in there!  Everything looks beautiful as usual :)

Thank you!  Yeah, there really is a lot of flow.  I'm just using the stock IM pump with the SpinStream and then the MP10 is on the lowest setting in lagoon mode.  I'm not really sure why a lot of people seem to think they need to upgrade the return pumps on these IM tanks in order to get more flow.  Luckily the gorgonians love the flow and everything else seems to be doing well with it.  It makes for nice movement in the tank.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, gena said:

Looks like that toadstool has grown :wub:.

It has grown!  All the softies have grown quite a bit since I got them.  I seem to be getting really nice growth in this tank.  One of my ricordea already split off a little baby ricordea.  The weeping willow toadstool is mostly closed up today.  Looks like its doing the shedding thing.  The tank really is missing its center piece without that coral all open.  Hopefully it'll finish its shedding quickly.

• Like 1
On 11/22/2017 at 8:36 PM, Ebn said:

Looking beautiful. The weeping willow is nice, but that enoki sarco is very nice as well!

I love all the varieties of sacrophytons.  That's why I have 3 different varieties.  I wish it was easier to find the different variations of soft corals like it is for SPS and zoanthids.

• Like 1

Tank Update

I am incredibly upset right now because as of Wednesday evening, the Pederson's anemone shrimp is missing.  He never hides and is always front and center, so I have a feeling something happened to him.  He is my favorite inhabitant in this tank and the most fun to watch, so I am really upset.  I doubt he'll reappear, but the only hope is that maybe he's molting and went into hiding for a few days while he molts.  I doubt it though... :(

• Sad 5

The first time that I saw a molt was with a small Calico crab that I had collected in Galveston Bay marsh grasses.  There were two complete crab shells in the tank with one being bigger and the fact it was moving, I figured out the new crab.  He lost   his right to stay when he killed my native brown shrimp.  Shrimp bury themselves with only eye stalks and whiskers above substrate.

It is possible your shrimp jumped out of tank or maybe even more sinister, Felix went fishing.  Cats can get jealous.

Give it a bit more time and see if he shows up. One of my cleaner shrimps disappears with his moltings every once in awhile. You'd figure a big red and white shrimp would be easy to spot, but nope. Doesn't show up even during feedings, but then would just show up the next day all fresh and shiny in his new shell. 

Oh, let me know if there's a specific sarco that you're looking for. My buddy's wife collects them. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Subsea said:

The first time that I saw a molt was with a small Calico crab that I had collected in Galveston Bay marsh grasses.  There were two complete crab shells in the tank with one being bigger and the fact it was moving, I figured out the new crab.  He lost   his right to stay when he killed my native brown shrimp.  Shrimp bury themselves with only eye stalks and whiskers above substrate.

It is possible your shrimp jumped out of tank or maybe even more sinister, Felix went fishing.  Cats can get jealous.

The aquarium has a tight fitting lid, so there's no possibility of jumping and Lily can't get into the tank.  I absolutely won't have a reef tank without a lid.  Its just too much risk!

5 hours ago, Ebn said:

Give it a bit more time and see if he shows up. One of my cleaner shrimps disappears with his moltings every once in awhile. You'd figure a big red and white shrimp would be easy to spot, but nope. Doesn't show up even during feedings, but then would just show up the next day all fresh and shiny in his new shell. 

Oh, let me know if there's a specific sarco that you're looking for. My buddy's wife collects them. 

Yeah, I'm still holding out a bit of hope he'll reappear.  Its been two days now, which seems like a long time for him to be molting but I'm not sure how long he'd hide for if that is what's going on.  I really really hope he just reappears in the next day or so!

I don't know that I'm looking for a specific sarco, but I just love the variety of textures and colors.  I'd be interested in any that are different in terms of color and/or polyp shape/texture from the 3 I currently have.  Granted, I don't know how much more space I have for sarcos.  They can get huge and I already have 3 in this tiny tank! :)  I'm sure I could make room for maybe one more really cool/unique one!  That's very cool that your friend's wife collects them.  They're such beautiful corals.

Tank Updates

1. I got myself an early Christmas present!  As much as I love the Maxspect Razor Nano fixture, the spectrum on it just seems to be missing something.  This fixture was originally on the seahorse tank and with all gorgonians and sponges, I wanted really white light, so its a 10K spectrum.  I still love whiter light, but on this new tank, I feel like the spectrum is missing something.  Its not making the zoanthid and ricordea colors pop quite as much as I'd like.  Anyways, I've been eyeing the AI Prime HD, so with the recent price drop to $199 and then my LFS running a no sales tax special for Black Friday, I decided to upgrade the light.  Now I've got to get this all set up.  I love new aquarium tech to fiddle with!
  2. While I was at the LFS to get the light, I did some browsing.  Since the firefish vanished (still not sure what happened...I'm thinking maybe intestinal parasite), I decided to browse around for fish.  I was considering another firefish, but decided to browse and see if anything else caught my eye.  The LFS had in some yellow banded possum wrasses and I ended up watching them for quite a while.  They were such spunky little guys and I miss having wrasses.  I always thought possum wrasses were really shy, but at least in the tank at the LFS, they were out and about and kept coming up to the front glass to look at me.  I love interactive fish with some personality and these were acting like little puppy dogs, so I couldn't resist getting one.  It doesn't have the brightest/prettiest coloring, but it was just so darn cute and spunky.  I hope it keeps its spunk and cruises around in my tank once I get him added.  I've got him acclimating now.

37739327525_0cc725d70d_c.jpg

• Like 6

They just picked this one up since they're up in the bay over the break.

image.png.1e8e66fc35cfcbe1a73c4b920b1ed18c.png

Neon green base and tentacles and purple tips from Japan. It's available at California Reef Co. if you're interested.  

• Like 2