SaltCritters.com

Dr. Felicia's Back to Basics IM14 - Retired 2/25/2020

Felicia

3 minutes ago, RollaJase said:

Yay, new tank! Looking forward to seeing this one fill in Felicia.

Thank you, Jase!  Nice to e-see you again!  I'm actually over on your thread trying to get caught up at the moment!

Moving these to the new page!

30 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Once I get going on a project, I have a hard time waiting.  I just want to see how its going to come together.  This is happening...

36558986332_bfb6fbe365_c.jpg

36682327596_26607403dd_c.jpg

That's somewhere between 10 and 15 lbs of Fiji pink sand and 9.7 lbs of Real Reef rock.  I'm debating whether I put in too much sand, but I want enough sandbed for a pistol shrimp and goby pair.  I'll see how it looks once it clears up and then decide if I need to remove some.  So anyways, let the cycle begin!

In other news, my inTank media basket and Inkbird heater controller both arrived today.  Now I'm just waiting on my ATO system and some epoxy and superglue I ordered from BRS.

3 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Thank you, Jase!  Nice to e-see you again!  I'm actually over on your thread trying to get caught up at the moment!

You are very welcome Felicia. Nice to e-see you also, it's definitely been a while :). I think we have both been out of commission for about the same amount of time. You definitely have some catching up to do! I'm still trying to catch up myself lol.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, RollaJase said:

You are very welcome Felicia. Nice to e-see you also, it's definitely been a while :). I think we have both been out of commission for about the same amount of time. You definitely have some catching up to do! I'm still trying to catch up myself lol.

Yeah, the catching up in and of itself is a bit overwhelming.  I'll just take it slow and try to work my way through all my followed threads.  There also seem to be a ton of new interesting ones as well!  Welcome back to you too!  Glad to see you still have your tank up and running and doing good!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MarieH said:

Hi Ho Doc! Long time no see. Funny to see people come back smaller.  Cannot wait to see how you put it together.

Hello again! Thank you for stopping by. Yeah I can definitely see myself continuing to go up and down in size over the years. There are pros and cons to each! When I've thought in the past about a dream large tank, I also wanted to have a small display refugium type tank. I love all the small inverts and symbiotic relationships that are so much easier to observe in a Nano. Big tanks are just toouch work for me right now! The small Nano reefs really offer a wonderful option for busy people who want something easier to maintain. Thanks for following along!

2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

You know we will need a fts after the water clears right?

Yep! I took a few cloudy ones last night that I may post later today. Tonight I'll post a clear one. Just keep in mind there's no scape yep. I just piled the rocks in to start the cycle. I'll turn them into an actual scape later.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Felicia said:

Once I get going on a project, I have a hard time waiting.  I just want to see how its going to come together.  This is happening...

36558986332_bfb6fbe365_c.jpg

36682327596_26607403dd_c.jpg

That's somewhere between 10 and 15 lbs of Fiji pink sand and 9.7 lbs of Real Reef rock.  I'm debating whether I put in too much sand, but I want enough sandbed for a pistol shrimp and goby pair.  I'll see how it looks once it clears up and then decide if I need to remove some.  So anyways, let the cycle begin!

In other news, my inTank media basket and Inkbird heater controller both arrived today.  Now I'm just waiting on my ATO system and some epoxy and superglue I ordered from BRS.

:happydance:

The reef tank force is strong :lol:.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, gena said:

:happydance:

The reef tank force is strong :lol:.

That it is!  I'm just one of those people that once I decide to do something, I want to do it right then. :D

4 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Glad to see you back Felicia!! 

Its good to be back!

4 hours ago, vlangel said:

Hey Felicia, its great to see you back.  And what a fun tank, I look forward to following it.  I have a soft spot for gorgs and softies too.

Hi Dawn!  I was just thinking earlier today that I need to locate your thread and get caught back up.  Yours is one of the awesome gorgonian and softie tanks on here!

• Like 2

These are from last night, right after finishing getting the tank filled up.  Keep in mind, the rocks aren't scaped.  I just threw them in there in a pile for now.  I'll probably work on creating a scape this weekend.

36569947502_b6d323a1b7_c.jpg

36569947402_5982332998_c.jpg

• Like 8
28 minutes ago, Felicia said:

That it is!  I'm just one of those people that once I decide to do something, I want to do it right then. :D

Its good to be back!

Hi Dawn!  I was just thinking earlier today that I need to locate your thread and get caught back up.  Yours is one of the awesome gorgonian and softie tanks on here!

Thanks Felicia!  I really appreciate that coming from you.  I have added a different type of red titan macro algae since you have seen my tank.  It grows in a plating manner which is cool.  Other than that there is not much new.  

On the down side I have lost 3 ponies since I have gone into seahorses.  With each loss I learned things and have made changes to improve their tank for them.  That has been hard but I still have Eve, my matriarch.  

• Like 1

Nice to see you back around Felicia. I haven't been around in forever but finally getting around to setting up a tank again myself so popped in. Looking forward to watching your tank again for sure.

• Like 3
Christopher Marks

It's like a N-R family reunion in here! :grouphug:

I'm glad to see your new nano reef is already off to a great beginning, I admire your goal for getting back the basics and keeping it simple too!

• Like 6
5 hours ago, vlangel said:

Thanks Felicia!  I really appreciate that coming from you.  I have added a different type of red titan macro algae since you have seen my tank.  It grows in a plating manner which is cool.  Other than that there is not much new.  

On the down side I have lost 3 ponies since I have gone into seahorses.  With each loss I learned things and have made changes to improve their tank for them.  That has been hard but I still have Eve, my matriarch.  

Alright, finally sitting down at my computer for the evening and am going to head over to your thread and check it all out.  I'm excited to see this new macro!  Sounds like its got a cool growth pattern.  Honest, nothing new is wonderful.  I'm definitely in the mood to have a tank that I'm happy with an can just let it do its thing and say there's nothing new :)

I'm sorry to hear about the seahorse losses, Dawn.  I know it is incredibly hard to lose a seahorse.  Its always hard to lose a fish, but seahorses are different somehow.  Seriously though, your husbandry skills are amazing that you still have Eve and are generally so successful at keeping seahorses.  Speaking from experience they are HARD to keep healthy.  I always admire how you pull out all the stops and put in whatever effort is required to keep them healthy to begin with and then to treat them if they get sick.  I know its a ton of work!  I also know it is incredibly hard to lose a seahorse.

52 minutes ago, Chris! said:

Nice to see you back around Felicia. I haven't been around in forever but finally getting around to setting up a tank again myself so popped in. Looking forward to watching your tank again for sure.

Hi Chris!  Nice to see you around as well!  I remember I hadn't seen you around much before I took a break.  Welcome back to you as well!  I see you're posting in your thread, so I'm excited to head over there and check out this new tank!

1 minute ago, Christopher Marks said:

It's like a N-R family reunion in here! :grouphug:

I'm glad to see your new nano reef is already off to a great beginning, I admire your goal for getting back the basics and keeping it simple too!

A post from Christopher Marks!  Now I really feel welcomed back to NR!  It is like a NR family reunion.  Even without having a tank to post about, I missed my NR friends!  

Thank you for stopping in to check out the new build, Chris!  I was moving more away from nano reefs and now I'm ready to redirect to more of a true nano system.  Hopefully I can keep it as simple and easy as I hope!  I'll try to keep documenting how those goals are going with this tank.

Oh, and I love the new website by the way!  I came back and was like, "Whoa!  Its completely different looking around here."  Amazing job maintaining the same structure and feel so that the new site really doesn't take much getting used to.  It looks really up to date and sleek now!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Christopher Marks

Yay, I'm glad you like the new site! It's always nice to hear feedback. :)

The update was in the works for a long time, it launched this past February! I'm so happy now that we're all settled in, it's such a huge leap forward. Have you tried it out on a smart phone or tablet? All parts of the community site remain fully featured, you can even upload photos to the editor directly from your phone! I'm planning to make some tutorials soon to show off all the fancy new stuff.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Yay, I'm glad you like the new site! It's always nice to hear feedback. :)

The update was in the works for a long time, it launched this past February! I'm so happy now that we're all settled in, it's such a huge leap forward. Have you tried it out on a smart phone or tablet? All parts of the community site remain fully featured, you can even upload photos to the editor directly from your phone! I'm planning to make some tutorials soon to show off all the fancy new stuff.

I've been using it a bunch of my phone the last couple days and its super easy to use!  Not that the old site was hard to use on mobile, but this one is even more streamlined.  I keep noticing new things in the couple days I've been poking around, but I'm sure I haven't noticed most of the new features yet.  I did not know you could upload photos directly from your phone!  That is going to make this so much easier.  I always take my tank photos with my phone, but then have to upload them to my computer, then upload them to Flickr, and then put them into NR.  Now I have to try out directly uploading them from my phone! omgomgomg  Tutorials about all the fancy features would be awesome!  Oh, and I wanted to tell you that I like the new "Our Picks" section.  Its nice to highlight posts of interest instead of just having the list of the most recent posts on the homepage.  I've been trying to think of good threads I've enjoyed over the years on NR.  I'm sure I will come up with a couple to suggest, but they may be a bit old!  

Also, I noticed one of my old photos made it into the "What is your quarantine process?" post and that made my day!  That is an old photo from when I was just starting out!

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

I'd love your suggestions on some past topics or posts to feature in Our Picks! Maybe you have some old browser bookmarks even? Even if you think of them weeks or months from now, don't be afraid to share in the nominations topic, I'll always need fresh recommendations! :) 

^ See that neat box? That will automatically appear in the editor when you link to topics, posts, gallery photos, articles, and even featured reefs. If you want a traditional text link instead, there's a little 'undo' message that appears at the bottom of the editor. This is me practicing for the tutorials ;) 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I'd love your suggestions on some past topics or posts to feature in Our Picks! Maybe you have some old browser bookmarks even? Even if you think of them weeks or months from now, don't be afraid to share in the nominations topic, I'll always need fresh recommendations! :) 

^ See that neat box? That will automatically appear in the editor when you link to topics, posts, gallery photos, articles, and even featured reefs. If you want a traditional text link instead, there's a little 'undo' message that appears at the bottom of the editor. This is me practicing for the tutorials ;) 

I'll definitely post any recommendations I think of.  I've always enjoyed the DIY threads, so I probably have some of those bookmarked somewhere.

Good tutorial!  I actually noticed this feature when I was linking this thread in my old thread.  I love this feature!  Its much more like social media where you get a preview of what you're linking to.

• Thanks 1

Alright, I'm off to bed, but I'll leave you all with some quick photos of the tank now that the water has cleared up.  Ignore the sand dust on the glass.  The sand dust is always such a pain for the first couple weeks until it all gets filtered out.

35941004463_b24d56da8d_c.jpg

36580452432_3bc57cfb63_c.jpg

• Like 14