ReefCleaners.org

Randall's Pistol Shrimp and Yellow Watchman Goby

FollyFish

Ok, so I went out and got a Randall's Pistol Shrimp (about 1/2 inch long...so tiny) to keep my Yellow Watchman Goby company. I temp and dip it for an hour like I do with everyone that I add to the tank. Added him/her and s/he went under the rock beside my YWG burrow and started digging. I can just see him/her moving sand around. How long will it take for them to find each other if I leave them alone? Its a 25G cube tank. They are about 2 inches away from each other under different rocks. Would it be better for me to move the shrimp's rock and herd it to the Goby or vice-versa? The shrimp has been making "clicking" sounds since I added him/her. Is that a sign of stress? If it is then I don't want to stress him/her out further.

P.S how  do you tell if a shrimp is a boy or girl?

lol You have to ask mother nature how long. I would wait it out and not move anything.  If you do move something it could take longer. Moving sand around is a good thing means the shrimps active.  Clicking is shrimp smacking something lol probably tunneling. Boy /girl shrimp  I read some where the female shrimp has a wider adobomen, what you use as a reference...lol good luck. I have a yasha goby/randall shrimp pair and there a blast to watch.

The Reef Novice

I agree, give them sometime and they will find each other. Remember this hobby is all about patience, nothing good comes from rushing anything lol trust. I currently have a watch man and a tiger pistol. It took them a day or two but I also got them at the same time and acclimated them in the same tank.