Coral Vue Hydros

what symbiotic pairings are available for the nano reef?

Friendly

for a baseline, let's consider livestock for tanks 30 gallons and below. 

I will update this list as realistic pairing examples are posted:

- clownfish & anemone (or frogsspawn)

- goby & pistol shrimp

- pom pom crab

- anemone shrimp (names elude me)

- three dot damsel & carpet anemone 

- acropora crab and acropora/pocillopora coral

- porcelain anemone crab & anemone

BustytheSnowMaam

I had a domino damsel paired with a RBTA once.  Variation on the clown/nem relationship that was neat.  

Oh, and don't forget shark/remora :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

oooh, cool! I've never read about that one. alas, they're an aggressive fish, not it would not do well with a lot of other tank mates in a nano. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Rehype said:

Emperor shrimp and sea cucumber 

crike, those emporer shrimp are TINY!!! :blink: 

due to that, probably only conducive to pico tanks, if they can be found.  :ninja:

8 minutes ago, Friendly said:

crike, those emporer shrimp are TINY!!! :blink: 

due to that, probably only conducive to pico tanks, if they can be found.  :ninja:

They are tiny but very cool 

Ive seen them for sale twice this year 

BustytheSnowMaam

I googled this and found glass shrimp/ chocolate chip star.  The shrimp uses the choc chip star for its coloration to camouflage itself, not sure how the star benefits.  Not reef safe, obv, but could have nano potential.  

• Like 1

My favorite are pistol shrimp and their gobies. Hopefully we'll start seeing some new gobies and shrimps in the coming years. Irian Jaya has been bringing in more and more of them and selling them to transshippers as pairs of shrimp and pairs of gobies so we might be able to breed them here. As for the Domino damsels and anemones, they get a tad large for a small tank and as they age they get pretty mean. That was my first marine fish way back in 1977, damn, where did all that time go?

Christopher Marks

I always liked this gallery photo of a hi-fin red-banded goby (Stonogobiops nematodes) and candy striped (Alpheus randalli) pistol shrimp that @PAK shared some time ago.

It's hard to beat such a dynamic duo.

• Like 6
Thrassian Atoll

Just got a candy stripe pistol shrimp to hopefully pair with my yasha goby.  The yasha loves staying at the back of the tank though.  Wish there was a way to get them to make their home in the front.

• Like 1
On 8/20/2017 at 11:42 PM, Christopher Marks said:

I always liked this gallery photo of a hi-fin red-banded goby (Stonogobiops nematodes) and candy striped (Alpheus randalli) pistol shrimp that @PAK shared some time ago.

This is the photo that inspired me to get my pair of hi-fins and the candy cane!!

• Wow 1
Christopher Marks
7 minutes ago, stellablue said:

This is the photo that inspired me to get my pair of hi-fins and the candy cane!!

How cool! We should highlight some of the really great gallery photos over the years somehow.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Christopher Marks said:

How cool! We should highlight some of the really great gallery photos over the years somehow.

I have this photo actually saved on my computer! But I don't remember where I found it! But it is THIS EXACT photo! I think I just found it with a google search about a year or so ago. I don't think I saw it here because I can't find the original post 

so...think a 30L would be big enough to house?

- goby & pistol shrimp

- pom pom crab

- anemone shrimp (names elude me) and anemone

clowns are known to host frogspawn...but what about anemone shrimp and crabs? will they host frogspawn as well?

BustytheSnowMaam
19 minutes ago, Friendly said:

- goby & pistol shrimp

- pom pom crab

clowns are known to host frogspawn...but what about anemone shrimp and crabs? will they host frogspawn as well?

A 30 should be plenty big enough- I wouldn't recommend a clown hosting in frogspawn- IME it irritates the frogspawn and causes it to withdraw.  I'd stick to a nem.  

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Friendly said:

- goby & pistol shrimp

- pom pom crab

I think that would be fine. Keep in mind that while clowns can and will be hosted by frogspawn, a lot of times, frogspawn can be too delicate and the clowns can beat it to death. Another coral that they are hosted by regularly is sarcophyton (toadstool corals). Those tend to be tougher and can hold up to the abuse :) 

• Like 1
BustytheSnowMaam

This is my red saddleback clown that hosts in my condy in my 30.  Being a Carib anemone, you'd think a clown couldn't host in a condy, but it works.  The clown brings it food and hangs out, and the anemone doesn't seem to bother it.  The condy gets big enough to look impressive, but doesn't seem to grow so big it takes over the tank.  Both fish and condy are nearly 10 years old at my house and belonged to someone before me, so by pet fish standards, they're pretty old.  Before the saddleback, the condy hosted an Allardi's Clown.  Just a thought, if you're weighing anemone selection.  

IMG_3971.JPG

• Like 1
On 8/20/2017 at 11:42 PM, Christopher Marks said:

That's what I have, only I have 2 gobies.

• Like 1