Innovative Marine Aquariums

Aiptasia or naw...?

NanoNu-bee12

NanoNu-bee12

1st post on this forum, very new to reading, got myself a 14G Nano tank, cycle went off without a hitch, everything by the book. Added inverts and a few corals. I noticed what I thought was a "bonus coral" on a Little piece of rock the bubble coral I bought was attached to.. but after doing some research.. I'm worried it's not a bonus coral at all.. fits the description of Aiptasia.. I thought of pulling the bubble out.. but someone told me to just get a few peppermint shrimp.  immediately rushed out and bought some.. they're still hiding tho since I introduced them into the tank. Can anyone tell me if this IS in fact aiptasia it's on the left side below the bubble coral, cheers

IMG_3330.JPG

I've never personally had a problem with Aiptasia in one of my tanks. One of my buddies had success with AiptasiaX in his tank. But in theory, cutting down to the stalk of the anemone and covering it with superglue should work fine. I would be sure to let the glue cure for a short time in a separate container from the tank. It would give me more peace of mind that the pest was taken care of :D

NanoNu-bee12

Was able to remove the aiptasia with a blade, came off pretty easy.. applied super glue to the area it was attached to and let it cure for a few minutes. Placed the coral back in the tank and these long stringy filaments stated protruding from the coral. One of the peppermint shrimp started to eat them. The coral looked fine this morning, all the polyps were fully out.. but then.. I noticed MORE aiptasia on the SAME frag, about half of the size of the 1st one I found.. I'm really not sure how I missed it but I'm very frustrated with myself, I don't wanna stress that coral out anymore so I'm not to sure where to go from here

IMG_3349.JPG

IMG_3350.JPG

You might still have remnants/spores in your tank.  Peppermint shrimp are known to eat/remove aiptasia.  I had an issue a month or so ago and after a few days with peppermint shrimp they all seemed to disappear.  I hope..

NanoNu-bee12

i'm hoping so, shrimp don't seem too interested in that particular area of the tank so far. hopefully they will find it, and make quick work of is, as I don't really want to remove that coral again. time to let mother nature take over.

1 minute ago, NanoNu-bee12 said:

i'm hoping so, shrimp don't seem too interested in that particular area of the tank so far. hopefully they will find it, and make quick work of is, as I don't really want to remove that coral again. time to let mother nature take over.

Here's to hoping!  That's a beautiful bubble coral you got!

NanoNu-bee12

thank you very much, I appreciate the compliment.also, cju84, if you could take a look at the thread that I posted this morning titled "sick clown fish" and lend and input I would greatly appreciate it, cheers

4 minutes ago, NanoNu-bee12 said:

thank you very much, I appreciate the compliment.also, cju84, if you could take a look at the thread that I posted this morning titled "sick clown fish" and lend and input I would greatly appreciate it, cheers

I just took a look but am not really sure.  There are others that should be able to weigh in that know much more than I do.

21 minutes ago, TILTON said:

Inject it with lemon juice concentrate.  At least that was the go to thing a while back.

I tried this. First I had to convince Walgreens I wasn't a heroin addict, to buy a needle. Second you gotta be bloody quick, I think the damn aiptasia saw the needle coming and poofed into its crevice and I couldn't see it. 

I bought a +1 peppermint that afternoon. Bye bye aiptasia. 

Thrassian Atoll

I had bought needles from Walmart and used the lemon juice on a couple of aptasia.  Thought it was pretty easy from what I remember.  This was some years ago though.