Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Blasto 6g tank

Minmay

Hi all! I caught another fever! I want to turn my FW tank into SW tank. I have a fluval edge 6g. What I'm not sure about is far as the sand goes. The sand that I'm interested in is Caribsea Arag alive special grade. All i see are 20lb bags. Im sure 20lbs would be way too much for 6g tank. Is it ok to mix the left over sand to my other tank thats been established for 5mo now? 

Christopher Marks

Hi @Minmay! That sounds like a good live sand choice for your 6 gallon. It's true that smaller quantities of bagged live sand are more difficult to come by. You could add the leftover live sand to your other established reef tank, but you will want to be careful to cause as little disruption as possible. It can cloud your tank and upset coral polyps.

If it were me, I would rinse the extra live sand a few times with freshwater, ideally RO water, before slowly adding it to the established tank. The freshwater rinse won't hurt the bacteria, the idea is to remove some of the dead organisms and ammonia so you don't risk starting a new cycle. Don't feel obligated to use it all though, you don't want to make your sand bed too deep.

• Like 1

Too bad you aren't closer!  I have 9 pounds of leftover fiji pink sand you could have.  If you are coming up to Burbank, you can have it :).  Oh and you had me at "blasto" :wub:

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Hi @Minmay! That sounds like a good live sand choice for your 6 gallon. It's true that smaller quantities of bagged live sand are more difficult to come by. You could add the leftover live sand to your other established reef tank, but you will want to be careful to cause as little disruption as possible. It can cloud your tank and upset coral polyps.

If it were me, I would rinse the extra live sand a few times with freshwater, ideally RO water, before slowly adding it to the established tank. The freshwater rinse won't hurt the bacteria, the idea is to remove some of the dead organisms and ammonia so you don't risk starting a new cycle. Don't feel obligated to use it all though, you don't want to make your sand bed too deep.

Thank you for response! I hope I can do it as slowly as possible so I dont PO the residents lol

8 minutes ago, gena said:

Too bad you aren't closer!  I have 9 pounds of leftover fiji pink sand you could have.  If you are coming up to Burbank, you can have it :).  Oh and you had me at "blasto" :wub:

Oooo....That would be awesome @gena I dont mind paying for shipping if you wanna do that? I Love blastos! I hope to get more at Reefapalooza at Anaheim. Are you gonna go??

2 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Oooo....That would be awesome @gena I dont mind paying for shipping if you wanna do that? I Love blastos! I hope to get more at Reefapalooza at Anaheim. Are you gonna go??

Yep!  I'm staying the whole weekend for RAP!  Too bad we couldn't coordinate it closer to now, I could have brought the sand with me :).  I can totally ship it to you.  It's 9 pounds so we'll have to figure out what the shipping cost would be.  I'll do some figuring....

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gena said:

Yep!  I'm staying the whole weekend for RAP!  Too bad we couldn't coordinate it closer to now, I could have brought the sand with me :).  I can totally ship it to you.  It's 9 pounds so we'll have to figure out what the shipping cost would be.  I'll do some figuring....

Ooooo awesome blossom! I think im only gonna go for one day. I heard reefapalooza has changed throughout the years and the one at Anaheim isnt as big as the Florida one. It would be awesome to meet a fellow reefer. I'm dragging my wife with me but in exchange shes dragging me to the plumeria fest in San Diego ??? 

• Like 1
Just now, Minmay said:

Ooooo awesome blossom! I think im only gonna go for one day. I heard reefapalooza has changed throughout the years and the one at Anaheim isnt as big as the Florida one. It would be awesome to meet a fellow reefer. I'm dragging my wife with me but in exchange shes dragging me to the plumeria fest in San Diego ??? 

Plumeria fest?????? omgomgomg   I love Plumerias LOL.  I have one that is in a pot that is now a tree.  I keep saying I'm going to plant it in the ground, but haven't yet LOL.

So.....this sand totally fits in a padded flat rate envelope.  The post office is going to wonder why I'm shipping a brick hahahaha.  Looks like it'd be $7.20 to ship it to you.  How does that sound? :)

It's leftover from when I set up my 10g just recently.  Never used and it still smells fresh LOL.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
19 minutes ago, gena said:

Plumeria fest?????? omgomgomg   I love Plumerias LOL.  I have one that is in a pot that is now a tree.  I keep saying I'm going to plant it in the ground, but haven't yet LOL.

So.....this sand totally fits in a padded flat rate envelope.  The post office is going to wonder why I'm shipping a brick hahahaha.  Looks like it'd be $7.20 to ship it to you.  How does that sound? :)

It's leftover from when I set up my 10g just recently.  Never used and it still smells fresh LOL.

Sure!!! Thank you so much. I really appreciate you. Yes, we have Plumeria fest all the time in Diego. The next one is 9/2-9/3. They will have plumeria sale and dancers etc. If you would like info I can forward that to u. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Sure!!! Thank you so much. I really appreciate you. Yes, we have Plumeria fest all the time in Diego. The next one is 9/2-9/3. They will have plumeria sale and dancers etc. If you would like info I can forward that to u. 

The chances of me going are pretty slim, but thanks for the offer.  It's neat to know there is a festival like that out there.  That is totally one I'd like to go to.  I got my plumeria from Home Depot probably like close to 10 years ago.  It's done really well.  It really needs a new pot or better yet planted in the ground.  It has white blossoms and the smell is like heaven.  Amazing :D.

We'll have to plan an NR meet up at RAP in October!  I know there are probably quite a few locals that will be attending :).  I'm really excited to see how this one is since it's at a new place.  Sounds like it will be much better than in the past!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, gena said:

The chances of me going are pretty slim, but thanks for the offer.  It's neat to know there is a festival like that out there.  That is totally one I'd like to go to.  I got my plumeria from Home Depot probably like close to 10 years ago.  It's done really well.  It really needs a new pot or better yet planted in the ground.  It has white blossoms and the smell is like heaven.  Amazing :D.

We'll have to plan an NR meet up at RAP in October!  I know there are probably quite a few locals that will be attending :).  I'm really excited to see how this one is since it's at a new place.  Sounds like it will be much better than in the past!

My wife loves plumerias. One of her fav plants. She also loves tulips. She has hers in a pot and it finally started blooming. When we purchase a house im sure our yard will be full of plumerias. This will be my first RAP so im super excited. See you there! 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Minmay said:

My wife loves plumerias. One of her fav plants. She also loves tulips. She has hers in a pot and it finally started blooming. When we purchase a house im sure our yard will be full of plumerias. This will be my first RAP so im super excited. See you there! 

Yep!  I'll see you there :).

• Like 1

Awesome! My first nano was the Fluval edge 6 gallon. I have a thread on it somewhere on here lol. It was such a boss tank to make a nano out of. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, TinyOcean said:

Awesome! My first nano was the Fluval edge 6 gallon. I have a thread on it somewhere on here lol. It was such a boss tank to make a nano out of. 

Its an awesome lil tank. Its a pain in the ass to clean ...especially if you have large hands which I dont but it still sucks lol. I'll have to look for your thread. I Love to look at other ppl tanks to see what they have created with it. I was also thinking about Modifying the tank by removing the top glass but im sure yet.

48 minutes ago, Friendly said:

Minmay...does your handle have anything to do with Robotech?  :ninja: :rolleyes: :ninja:

Yuppers!!! I was given that nickname a very long time ago.....those were the days wasnt it. Back when they made good cartoons

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Friendly said:

$95...for one head?  :blink:

Lol depending on where some of us live we pay ridiculous prices for even a tiny frag of zoas.

• Like 1

Yes 1 head, its crazy how much ppl including me are willing to pay lol. This seller is local for me so at least i wouldnt have to pay for shipping. I did win another blasto bid with them. Paid $50 something