Cultivated Reef

Lula Mae's Sooper Sekret, just for fun, experimental GSP garden

Lula_Mae

He's sooooooo CUTE!  I love all the pictures :D.  I see his little sunken belly now.  Has he eaten anything yet for you?  There's a girl on NR that got her yellow clown goby to eat LRS nano food.  If you can get a hold of that, maybe try it?  Keeping my fingers crossed for your little guy..

Can you move the grube's temporarily into the 5.5g tank?  Just to get it healthier and then move it back?  It's worth a try.  There may be more flow in there for it.  Your leather is happy in the 5.5g and they like flow too.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Get a bunch of carbon running on ALL tanks if possible. Any water you have made up needs to be thrown out, make up new. If your RO is in an open top container, dump it and start fresh. Start water changes on those tanks as well.

I'll start mixing up some fresh stuff then, I was nearly done with what I had mixed anyway.  I used bottled distilled right now so that won't be a concern.  The 5.5 still looks fantastic, it's just this tank that looks like crap. :(

4 hours ago, gena said:

He's sooooooo CUTE!  I love all the pictures :D.  I see his little sunken belly now.  Has he eaten anything yet for you?  There's a girl on NR that got her yellow clown goby to eat LRS nano food.  If you can get a hold of that, maybe try it?  Keeping my fingers crossed for your little guy..

Can you move the grube's temporarily into the 5.5g tank?  Just to get it healthier and then move it back?  It's worth a try.  There may be more flow in there for it.  Your leather is happy in the 5.5g and they like flow too.

Thanks Gena!  I just got a couple more super cute pics I'll put up later.  I haven't seen him eat anything yet but, earlier in this thread I mentioned having tossed extra LR into this tank in case the hermit had to go into solitary, and I ended up putting one of those rocks in the blenny's tank so he'd have diatoms to eat like StinkyBunny mentioned.  Hopefully he's done some grazing on it, I saw him in it and it's so cute! 

I thought about moving the gorgs and I think I may do that, maybe do a Lugol's dip and transfer them over?  And just be prepared to do water changes in case the decay causes any ammonia issues (not that I'd know since I have no test kits and still haven't gotten an ammonia badge lol.  I'm worried the Grube's may be a lost cause though. :(

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Distilled water is no bueno in my book, some can have copper in it if it was distilled through copper pipes.

I've used it my whole reefing life, usually comes from Walmart.  Never had any issues.  Supposedly most places have gone away from copper distillation processes.  I don't have a source of RODI around here and have rarely lived where there was one.

hopefully your bug spray didn't get into your air system and contaminate the tanks-seems far fetched, but definitely possible.

My gorgs get fed twice a day. Not that they necessarily need it, but my flame scallop does so they get what floats around. I alternate between live phyto, zooplankton, and clam larve. I use to feed marine snow too, but I ran out and haven't replaced it.

Did you let LiveAquaria know that your Blenny came with a sunken stomach? I would. It'll be great if you can save him, but he was in no condition to be sent out. I'm surprised at LiveAquaria.

• Like 3
GunslingerGirl
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

Distilled water is no bueno in my book, some can have copper in it if it was distilled through copper pipes.

Check the TDS first and you're fine. I have never had copper in my distilled water. Been using it forever. Invert tanks included.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Thanks Gena!  I just got a couple more super cute pics I'll put up later.  I haven't seen him eat anything yet but, earlier in this thread I mentioned having tossed extra LR into this tank in case the hermit had to go into solitary, and I ended up putting one of those rocks in the blenny's tank so he'd have diatoms to eat like StinkyBunny mentioned.  Hopefully he's done some grazing on it, I saw him in it and it's so cute! 

I thought about moving the gorgs and I think I may do that, maybe do a Lugol's dip and transfer them over?  And just be prepared to do water changes in case the decay causes any ammonia issues (not that I'd know since I have no test kits and still haven't gotten an ammonia badge lol.  I'm worried the Grube's may be a lost cause though. :(

Oh...yay!  More pics :D.  I think moving them is a good idea.  Especially since they are not improving and getting worse.  If you leave them where they are I think you'll totally lose them.  At least this gives them a chance.  Even if you just have a portion left alive, they will continue to grow from that.  So anything with flesh left, hang onto it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

hopefully your bug spray didn't get into your air system and contaminate the tanks-seems far fetched, but definitely possible.

My gorgs get fed twice a day. Not that they necessarily need it, but my flame scallop does so they get what floats around. I alternate between live phyto, zooplankton, and clam larve. I use to feed marine snow too, but I ran out and haven't replaced it.

Did you let LiveAquaria know that your Blenny came with a sunken stomach? I would. It'll be great if you can save him, but he was in no condition to be sent out. I'm surprised at LiveAquaria.

Unfortunately since they were bought out by Fosters and Smith the quality has tanked, dramatically.

3 hours ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Check the TDS first and you're fine. I have never had copper in my distilled water. Been using it forever. Invert tanks included.

As long as you're testing it, you should be fine. 10 years ago I kept getting sick, come to find out the copper levels in my blood were elevated from using distilled water in my CPAP machine. They sent a sample to the lab and it was loaded with copper. Just be careful.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
GunslingerGirl
1 minute ago, StinkyBunny said:

Unfortunately since they were bought out by Fosters and Smith the quality has tanked, dramatically.

As long as you're testing it, you should be fine. 10 years ago I kept getting sick, come to find out the copper levels in my blood were elevated from using distilled water in my CPAP machine. They sent a sample to the lab and it was loaded with copper. Just be careful.

Ew. As somebody in the medical community... my mind is racing with images and symptoms for that. Glad you are ok! That can be nasty stuff.

That was a driving factor in the switch from copper to safer materials. Luckily nowadays I don't know a single company that still uses them around here.

Which is good because last time I used LFS water....it wasn't pretty. Found out they couldn't remember if they had changed membranes in awhile.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Yeah I hope not. :( All the other tanks seem fine so I'm not sure what's going on.  I have not talked to them yet but I will.  Also gonna get refunds on these corals that were captive bred/aquacultured and have hated life for me (sponge and the Grube's for sure). 

3 hours ago, GunslingerGirl said:

I don't have a TDS meter but have never had an issue.  Working on getting an RODI soon finally so I don't have to haul jugs from Walmart anymore lol.

2 hours ago, gena said:

Oh...yay!  More pics :D.  I think moving them is a good idea.  Especially since they are not improving and getting worse.  If you leave them where they are I think you'll totally lose them.  At least this gives them a chance.  Even if you just have a portion left alive, they will continue to grow from that.  So anything with flesh left, hang onto it.

I'll plan on doing that shortly, then, cause things definitely aren't improving now.  The Hicksomella is slowly receding from the top.

29 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

By Petco?  I would agree, and I am very disappointed in this order.  Seriously, an empty shell, a crab instead of a snail, a fish who has CLEARLY not been eating?  They not only dropped the ball, they let it roll on down the steps and out the door! :rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Ew. As somebody in the medical community... my mind is racing with images and symptoms for that. Glad you are ok! That can be nasty stuff.

That was a driving factor in the switch from copper to safer materials. Luckily nowadays I don't know a single company that still uses them around here.

Which is good because last time I used LFS water....it wasn't pretty. Found out they couldn't remember if they had changed membranes in awhile.

Same here, elevated copper in the blood is like :o

I had headaches, cramping, nosebleeds, greenish urine which is what tipped me off to get tested for it.

:huh: Glad you did!

GunslingerGirl

I had headaches, cramping, nosebleeds, greenish urine which is what tipped me off to get tested for it.

Well I'm glad you figured it out! Some people would have just kept going on with their life until it was life threatening.

Being a vet student, we had a case on copper toxicity from a dog who ate apparently a bunch of some type of California/European clover. Dog spent a few days with us, but they were on vacation and we transferred then back to the regular DVM in California. Dogs store copper and it is usually pretty poor prognosis. Definitely not something to mess with.

4 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

By Petco?  I would agree, and I am very disappointed in this order.  Seriously, an empty shell, a crab instead of a snail, a fish who has CLEARLY not been eating?  They not only dropped the ball, they let it roll on down the steps and out the door! :rolleyes:

Totally missed they were bought out. Damn . So where am I supposed to get my livestock now? Ugh.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Well I'm glad you figured it out! Some people would have just kept going on with their life until it was life threatening.

Being a vet student, we had a case on copper toxicity from a dog who ate apparently a bunch of some type of California/European clover. Dog spent a few days with us, but they were on vacation and we transferred then back to the regular DVM in California. Dogs store copper and it is usually pretty poor prognosis. Definitely not something to mess with.

Totally missed they were bought out. Damn . So where am I supposed to get my livestock now? Ugh.

M has been a vet tech for 30 years and she's seen all sorts of crazy things. I would think chelation therapy would be a possibility for dogs. I had it done right after the copper poisoning. The retailer ate the cost as well as gave me shut up money.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
44 minutes ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Yeah it happened a few years ago.  I mean, they still do pretty ok overall but not like it used to be I think.

GunslingerGirl
3 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

M has been a vet tech for 30 years and she's seen all sorts of crazy things. I would think chelation therapy would be a possibility for dogs. I had it done right after the copper poisoning. The retailer ate the cost as well as gave me shut up money.

Copper chelation is usually cost-prohibitive for most owners of larger breed dogs like this one. I don't remember the outcome of the case. Unfortunately, it was probably not a good outcome.

Chelation can be used for smaller breeds pretty readily but I am not sure that regular clinics would regularly carry that as a treatment option. I don't know. You learn about so many things in a teaching hospital you will never see again in the real world lol

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Copper chelation is usually cost-prohibitive for most owners of larger breed dogs like this one. I don't remember the outcome of the case. Unfortunately, it was probably not a good outcome.

Chelation can be used for smaller breeds pretty readily but I am not sure that regular clinics would regularly carry that as a treatment option. I don't know. You learn about so many things in a teaching hospital you will never see again in the real world lol

This is true lol.

Thunder Goose

I know other folks have had problems with LA but I've had good luck with them. Which is good because my LFS doesn't carry a lot of smaller fish or invertebrates and is an hour's drive anyway (and only open on weekends). Plus I haven't had good interactions with the owner.

I have also had good luck with livestock from BlueZoo and I've been VERY  happy with KP Aquatics (although their selection is limited).

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Thunder Goose said:

I know other folks have had problems with LA but I've had good luck with them. Which is good because my LFS doesn't carry a lot of smaller fish or invertebrates and is an hour's drive anyway (and only open on weekends). Plus I haven't had good interactions with the owner.

I have also had good luck with livestock from BlueZoo and I've been VERY  happy with KP Aquatics (although their selection is limited).

Overall I haven't had much issue with LA but this was a little silly lol.

• Like 1
GunslingerGirl
4 hours ago, Thunder Goose said:

KP is THE BEST. I wish they could expand into more commercially available/ captive bred fish though. I don't really like them catching fish from the wild. I can understand a seas star or urchin here and there, and the plants are abundant. But I really try to stay away from wild caught where I can.

That being said, my emerald from them is the best. It challenges the giant hermit and wins lol

Lula- how's the tank looking today?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, GunslingerGirl said:

KP is THE BEST. I wish they could expand into more commercially available/ captive bred fish though. I don't really like them catching fish from the wild. I can understand a seas star or urchin here and there, and the plants are abundant. But I really try to stay away from wild caught where I can.

That being said, my emerald from them is the best. It challenges the giant hermit and wins lol

Lula- how's the tank looking today?

Well, I pulled all the gorgs and GSP out and gave them a Lugol's dip and put in the 5.5...we'll see how they do.  Blenny won't eat, I offered a carnivore blend and all he does is dart away from the pipette and the food pieces.  The hermit, on the other hand, took a chunk of the meat right out of my fingers!  :o  The Grube's looks terrible and the hicksomella has continued recession at the tips and my little digi managed to fall into the ricordeas overnight from where I'd wedged it into a rock.  Sigh.  The pest control guy my landlord called came by but I wouldn't let him spray inside, I was too afraid for my tanks lol.  Jacques the shrimp is busy at work on the Grube's lol.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Well, I pulled all the gorgs and GSP out and gave them a Lugol's dip and put in the 5.5...we'll see how they do.  Blenny won't eat, I offered a carnivore blend and all he does is dart away from the pipette and the food pieces.  The hermit, on the other hand, took a chunk of the meat right out of my fingers!  :o  The Grube's looks terrible and the hicksomella has continued recession at the tips and my little digi managed to fall into the ricordeas overnight from where I'd wedged it into a rock.  Sigh.  The pest control guy my landlord called came by but I wouldn't let him spray inside, I was too afraid for my tanks lol.  Jacques the shrimp is busy at work on the Grube's lol.

I hope it helps fingerscrossed.

7 hours ago, gena said:

I hope it helps fingerscrossed.

Me too and I hope the soapdish frag rack stays in place.  The plugs that the digi and the gorg are on are NOT pico friendly as they are huge and unwieldy and do not fit in the holes.

cfaye@Delaware

Dropping by......

For your handsome Blenny, who will not eat, try the shot glass method, it worked for my GCG and he now eats the frozen when I drop it in. The hardest thing with the glass is getting the flow direction right when you lay on side, so food will not blow out, takes a bit of time but at least you can mix different foods and leave in for him to check out when he wants. Also you can email LA and ask them what they feed, I did for my fish and they sent me a huge list. Mr Fish is still hanging in there. 

For frags, my hands are weak, so I got a Dremel 100 series and extra cutting blades for my frag plugs, I like frags but not plugs. I not used it yet. 

I will be thinking of you and your handsome guy.....

Oh and I think Marine Depot sells fish vitamins. 

• Like 1

I took these pics the other day after putting in a bit of rubble in hopes the blenny would find some some diatoms or something on them to eat, and came in the following morning to find someone loved the crevice in the rock!

IMG_20170903_143638142

IMG_20170903_143641423

Out of ideas, I even tried wiping the diatoms off the glass in the GSP garden and dropping it in the tank in hopes that he'd graze on them a little.  I didn't know what else to do since he literally fled away from the foods I offered.  You can see it draped over the PVC pipe in some of these pics.

IMG_20170905_170554118

IMG_20170905_170616308

IMG_20170905_170625645

IMG_20170905_170634133

I'm really glad I took these pics because guess who I found on his side in the corner of the tank tonight?  Looks like he'd been dead a few hours, too.  I'm disappointed but not surprised.  LiveAquaria will certainly be hearing from me in the morning lol.

The gorgs--the Hicksomella has lost flesh halfway down one of the main branches.  The Grube's looks about the same.  I didn't get to see the tank when the lights were on so I can't tell if there is actually less algae on it, or if it's a figment of my imagination.  I'm also not sure if any of the GSP has opened up.  In retrospect, I think I should've put everything in the 5.5 until the new tank had gotten through the diatoms, but I've never had a diatom bloom this bad and it took me by surprise.  I've seen no sign of the feather duster so I've no idea if he's alive or not.  What a disappointing couple of weeks. :(

On 9/5/2017 at 6:03 AM, cfaye@Delaware said:

Dropping by......

For your handsome Blenny, who will not eat, try the shot glass method, it worked for my GCG and he now eats the frozen when I drop it in. The hardest thing with the glass is getting the flow direction right when you lay on side, so food will not blow out, takes a bit of time but at least you can mix different foods and leave in for him to check out when he wants. Also you can email LA and ask them what they feed, I did for my fish and they sent me a huge list. Mr Fish is still hanging in there. 

For frags, my hands are weak, so I got a Dremel 100 series and extra cutting blades for my frag plugs, I like frags but not plugs. I not used it yet. 

I will be thinking of you and your handsome guy.....

Oh and I think Marine Depot sells fish vitamins. 

Thanks, I don't know if it would have worked with him.  Even when food was left in the tank for a few hours, he showed no interest or inclination in tasting it.  Poor guy was probably not eating long before they shipped him to me.  I'm disappointed to say the least.  The frag plugs in question are some kind of molded plastic-y material so I'm not sure if a Dremel would work on them.

• Sad 4
Thunder Goose

So sorry about your blenny. Mine hasn't responded to any of the food I've put in her tank (despite being from Diver's Den where they were supposedly feeding her) but it may be because I have insane numbers of pods. I've seen her eating those.

Be sure to send the original hollow belly photos to LA. The fish shouldn't have been shipped in that condition!

• Like 2