inTank Media Baskets

Lula Mae's Sooper Sekret, just for fun, experimental GSP garden

Lula_Mae

I have some Feather Anthelia in Perchy's tank if you want some. I also have some purple centre GSP I got out of Indo a few months back.

The Feather Anthelia is off to the right of Perchy.

yYZdns8.jpg

• Like 2
18 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

I have some Feather Anthelia in Perchy's tank if you want some. I also have some purple centre GSP I got out of Indo a few months back.

The Feather Anthelia is off to the right of Perchy.

yYZdns8.jpg

Ooh, that's pretty cool looking!  Let me give it a couple weeks and see, we've hit the ugly phase with diatoms EVERYWHERE and the Grube's still won't open up because of it.  I ordered a little powerhead that will be here tomorrow because I don't think there's enough/turbulent enough flow for the gorgs, especially the Grube's.  And if that powerhead isn't enough, I'll order a Koralia Nano to replace it.  I'm sure that will make a whirlpool in the tank! :lol:  The diatoms are pretty much keeping everything mad right now.  Hopefully they burn out soon.  I also replaced the light with the ABI 50/50 I bought a while back, which looks nicer over the tank than the other I was using.  Got the new lamp set up to hold it.

I did finally remember to get a toothbrush for this tank, so at least that will help with brushing things off. :rolleyes:

Dear God stay away from Koralia pumps. I damn near got electrocuted with 2 of the ones I had. I wouldn't use one of those pieces of garbage for mixing water. But not for the quick action of a friend who was at the shop, I wouldn't be here today.

22 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Dear God stay away from Koralia pumps. I damn near got electrocuted with 2 of the ones I had. I wouldn't use one of those pieces of garbage for mixing water. But not for the quick action of a friend who was at the shop, I wouldn't be here today.

Well dang, what on earth happened?  That's crazy!  I need an affordable smallish pump when I do a little bigger tank (10-20 gallons) and was planning on one or two of those.  I can't afford Jebao or MP10 lol.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Well dang, what on earth happened?  That's crazy!  I need an affordable smallish pump when I do a little bigger tank (10-20 gallons) and was planning on one or two of those.  I can't afford Jebao or MP10 lol.

I've had the same Koralia 240 in my 5 gallon tank for 3 years now.  No issues at all.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

39 minutes ago, cju84 said:

I've had the same Koralia 240 in my 5 gallon tank for 3 years now.  No issues at all.

I'm running the two bigger nano pumps, the 425 and 565, and have had 0 issues as well :mellow: 

• Like 1
GunslingerGirl

Finally made it over here to the sekret club!

GSP is my guilty pleasure. I want my back wall to be covered in it. But alas.. I connect the powerheads back there lol

• Like 2
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

There was a Metallic Green Anthelia on the list out of Bali this week so I ordered 4 of them, might get 1-2 if I'm lucky.

This has potential, I've never seen that before. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

There was a Metallic Green Anthelia on the list out of Bali this week so I ordered 4 of them, might get 1-2 if I'm lucky.

Whoa, metallic green?!  It'd match the GSP! :lol:

Also, it sounds like ordering from overseas is kind of a crap shoot for what you order vs. what you get!

12 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

This has potential, I've never seen that before. 

It shows up on lists once in a while, I've never seen it either which is why I ordered it. I emailed a friend I have over there to see if he can get me a pic and make sure I get at least 1 rock of it.

12 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Whoa, metallic green?!  It'd match the GSP! :lol:

Also, it sounds like ordering from overseas is kind of a crap shoot for what you order vs. what you get!

Transshipping is a roll of the dice. most of the time you get 75% fill on your orders with a few decent subs in there. I always say " Substitute more of what is ordered" on my lists so I don't end up with a box of garbage, Bali can get VERY creative with substitutions, lol. It's fun though, like Christmas when you get a shipment in. You know what's coming, but you don't know the shapes of the animals you're getting. Fish, they're the same shape and colour, corals are a whole nother can-o-worms.

• Haha 1

I ordered a few goodies from Weetie's Mud n' Bugs sale and they came the other day, beautifully packaged as usual! 

(Side note, Mud & Bugs was a cereal I ate a bunch in high school, it was chocolate poofs with bug shaped marshmallows and Timon and Pumbaa from the Lion King on it.)  See here:

mud-bugs.jpg

Useless trivia aside, :lol: I got a collection of things from Weetie. 

Macroooooos!

IMG_20170830_131959410

Botryocladia, grape caulerpa and some snippets of mystery macros that look like galaxaura, cladophora, sargassum and portieria?  And a few random strands of chaeto.  I also got stomatellas and mud which I'm splitting between the tanks.

Closeup of mystery macros:

IMG_20170830_132004011

I haven't had a chance to mount them so they are in a little container with a piece of rock rubble holding them down.

She also included a pack of nutritious gum. e. worms.

IMG_20170830_131637773

Now, since the blenny I've been writing about on the 5.5 thread is actually going in here, I decided to write about him here lol.  I was able to get a few pics today!  I offered him some herbivore flakes and mysis but the pipette freaked him out.  @gena, you'll want to see these!

Here he is chilling on the little powerhead before I took it out:

IMG_20170902_142448

After me trying to follow him around and offer mysis with the pipette, he was quite stressed, judging by his much darker coloration on top:

ATT00001(11)

ATT00001(10)

Later I got a shot of him resting on my homemade sponge filter:

ATT00001(9)

Later I'll go scoop out the mysis and poop lol.  I also hope to get some shots of the tank with the new macros.  Things have not been happy the last few days and are pretty closed up.  The dragon's breath got blown into the Hicksomella gorg and though I moved it after I saw it, I just noticed it's losing tissue at the tips! :tears: The Grube's still hasn't opened up and I need to brush algae off it again.  I did add the little powerhead but I'm not sure it's helping.  Going to do a big water change in a bit after I mount the macros and hope it helps.

Any advice on the gorgs would be welcome.

• Like 6

I just noticed the feather duster has either jumped or dropped his crown as it's sitting in the back of the tank and I can't tell if he's attached or not. :mellow:

• Wow 1
GunslingerGirl
30 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I just noticed the feather duster has either jumped or dropped his crown as it's sitting in the back of the tank and I can't tell if he's attached or not. :mellow:

Feathers are so finicky. Hopefully he grows a new one! Did something pester him?

• Like 1

If you don't get some food to that blenny he's not going to make it. His stomach is very sunken. If you have something with diatoms on it, you're good. Mine love mysis shrimp too.

• Like 1

All is not well in the GSP garden. :(  After I mounted Weetie's macros, I pulled out the GSP frags to brush the diatoms/algae off as they haven't opened in a couple of days.  @SeaFurn's basically dissolved under the toothbrush!  Then I went to gently brush the algae off the Grube's gorgonian and tissue came off in my fingers! :tears:

ATT00001(15)

ATT00001(14)

You can see the skeleton exposed in multiple places.  I'm afraid to touch it now!  The first pic, if you look closely you can see the tips of the Hicksomella gorg are skeletal too.  I noticed the temp was 80 degrees so I'm guessing the pump raised it when I put it in.  I forgot that might happen.  My astrea snail I bought yesterday is not acting right either, he keeps flipping on his back.  I straighten him up and minutes later he's on his back again.  I don't know what's going on!  I've had to spray a little thanks to the fire ant invasion but never in this room and I try to keep the door shut in here when I do--and I only sprayed when I found an ant trail leading to something, and used a foaming spray in hopes it wouldn't aerosolize (is that a word? lol) as much.  The cerith I bought and the couple of stomatellas I've seen seem fine.  The feather duster has never been completely happy since I put him in so I am not sure if something is wrong or he just hated his spot.  I did a water change and dipped all the GSP but not quite sure what to do for the gorgs. :( Should I try to clip the tips of the Hicksomella gorg?

1 hour ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Hope he's ok!

Me too, I haven't seen him, and the crown is not attached to him.

52 minutes ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Feathers are so finicky. Hopefully he grows a new one! Did something pester him?

Not sure, I do know he hasn't loved the tank or his spot as he didn't fully extend.  His tube is so long, though, that it was hard to find a good spot for him.

24 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

If you don't get some food to that blenny he's not going to make it. His stomach is very sunken. If you have something with diatoms on it, you're good. Mine love mysis shrimp too.

I know. :( That's why I left the mysis in there.  I'll see what else I can find and try, I know I've got garlic pellets somewhere, and maybe some garlic I could soak stuff in.

• Sad 4
GunslingerGirl

Oh no! I wish I had some solution. I have had horrible luck with gorgs. And they are my favorite. :/

Try feeding live BBS? Most of the time the LFS has some already in a bag to take home. Or at least mine do. Not super nutritional but... . At least its something.

I would try higher flow on the gorgs and see what happens. Spot feed every other day. Water changes every third. That's all I got.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Oh no! I wish I had some solution. I have had horrible luck with gorgs. And they are my favorite. :/

Try feeding live BBS? Most of the time the LFS has some already in a bag to take home. Or at least mine do. Not super nutritional but... . At least its something.

I would try higher flow on the gorgs and see what happens. Spot feed every other day. Water changes every third. That's all I got.

I don't think the LFS have BBS, I did offer live phyto a couple of times but stopped as it seemed to be making the algae worse lol.  But the Grube's hasn't put polyps out since I got it no matter what I did.  The other one at least had polyps out until the last couple days. :(

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Oh no!

Are those the small pieces on that small rock in front? (Top picture)

They don't look dissolved, just closed. Had any of the polyps opened up ever? 

Yes, that's them.  No, none of the polyps have ever opened.  Those are the pieces I was too afraid to crush, the ones on top turned to stringy mush when I brushed them very gently. :(

edit: brush, not crush. :rolleyes:

Get a bunch of carbon running on ALL tanks if possible. Any water you have made up needs to be thrown out, make up new. If your RO is in an open top container, dump it and start fresh. Start water changes on those tanks as well.

• Like 2