Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval Evo 13.5g hood

Lugmos12

i'm really frustrated with the hood on my tank. it's a pain to clean since both parts of the hood have to come off at the same time. I'm wondering how much evaporation will happen if I keep the smaller portion of the hood off at all times. Any thoughts?

i don't have a hood on either tank. It's better for the tank. I use mesh hoods

it's better for gas exchange and temp control.

Determining evap will be different in every tank. 

8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

where did you get the mesh from?

You can order the mesh from BRS. Its the perfect size.

You can get window framing kit at the hardware store a diy the hood. Lots of plans and videos online. Its pretty easy to make.

Not sure how you would use it with your light? 

The portion you want to remove is the part covering the chambers? 

Go for it as long as it doesn't compromise the security of the light

17 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

You can order the mesh from BRS. Its the perfect size.

You can get window framing kit at the hardware store a diy the hood. Lots of plans and videos online. Its pretty easy to make.

Not sure how you would use it with your light? 

The portion you want to remove is the part covering the chambers? 

Go for it as long as it doesn't compromise the security of the light

well the hood is in two parts. but both parts have to come off in order to get into the main area of the tank. it's annoying. 

IMG_7972.JPG

IMG_7973.JPG

If the part of the hood with just the light, doesn't move easily(is secure) without the area that cover the chambers, then you can take off that portion.

You just want to make sure it can't slip and somehow end up on the floor or in the tank.

5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If the part of the hood with just the light, doesn't move easily(is secure) without the area that cover the chambers, then you can take off that portion.

You just want to make sure it can't slip and somehow end up on the floor or in the tank.

Both parts 'sit' into the actual tank so they can't fall or slip off. I'm just afraid of   too much evaporation. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, c_man7 said:

I hated the top, its so frustrating to just get inside the tank. I upgraded the light to an ocean revive and wen t with the BRS DIY mesh lid

Do you lose a lot of water duet to evaporation?

15 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

Do you lose a lot of water duet to evaporation?

Not much, I had a 5 gallon bucket full when I started the tank about a month ago and its still 3/4 full, I goes down a little bit more now but not much only had the mesh top on for a less than a week. It's work it. So much easier to work with. I just kept the filter stock top then ran the mesh the rest of the way.

• Like 1

same, i bought the BRS kit for my evo13 and love it. i used the IM clips to hold it in place. it looks nice, and doesn't inhibit light. make sure you get the smaller nano sized mesh. i believe there are two options in the size.

52583788120__900F0742-65C2-4806-AA4F-5F6C154AA62F.thumb.JPG.be1930ab1856749d8d4e4739d895c015.JPG

• Like 1
2 hours ago, c_man7 said:

Not much, I had a 5 gallon bucket full when I started the tank about a month ago and its still 3/4 full, I goes down a little bit more now but not much only had the mesh top on for a less than a week. It's work it. So much easier to work with. I just kept the filter stock top then ran the mesh the rest of the way.

Pics?! 

4 hours ago, dvs1986 said:

yeah, i keep an ATO for my fluval with 5 gallons in it. its in a mostly sealed jug, but it lasts forever. over a month.

do you do water changes?

On 8/18/2017 at 11:59 PM, Clown79 said:

+1 my temps were very hard to control with the hood.  Since I have it off now, I have to top off about a cup of rodi every 2-3 days, but it's a price I'm willing to pay for temp stability.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

This is my first tank. I am on day two of cycling and noticed today a lot of water accumulating on the inside of the hood. It sounds like this is normal? 

I’ve seen led lights that clip on the side of the tank and hang over the tank. Does anyone use these? I figure I can use those so I can remove the hood and add mesh to keep fish or snails from jumping or getting out of the tank. Any advice would be great. I’m completely new at this.

I'm truly shocked at everyone saying they have minimal evap. And I'm not trying to start a fight or anything but I am going to say that line about "it's better for the tank" to have no hood is a random opinion as far as I'm aware. I have never heard that or know of any facts that support the statement.

I have found the evap difference between hood on/off on my EVO 13.5 to be significant. I currently have my hood sitting all janked because I put an Aquaclear filter on the tank. So envision the hood is sitting on an angle, causing about a 2 inch long-sided 90 triangle on two corners that are completely open to the air.  Then the back chambers are completely uncovered. I have to put in about 3-4 measuring cups worth of water per day. I think that is substantial in such a small tank.

However, I'm betting the people who have commented  who are experiencing very little evap probably also have very minimal surface movement where as I have not crazy, but there IS turbulence on the water surface in my tank.

I don't wipe down the hood. If the hood is sitting on as it's supposed to (prior to me putting on the AC the hood sat on normally) I saw very minimal evap. However, I also noticed that even with the pump upgrade the movement through teh back chambers was slow and did nothing to rid the tank of surface scum and ultimately I put on the AC because I felt the tank needed better filtration.

My hood sits normal on the tank. When I remove the hood water pours out from it. I’m not sure if that’s normal or not as this is my first tank. Seems like a lot of water. I’m guessing about 4-5 tablespoons. But, my lights are wet too.

yeah, that's normal and that's because the hood is basically catching all that evap and dripping it back into the tank. For that reason you shouldn't see AS MUCH evap as if you had the hood fully off or even just the hood of the back chambers off.

• 3 years later...

The amount of evap you will get will depend on the humidity in your home, surface movement etc, which going to be different for everyone. I kept my top so that I don't have to go buy an ATO.

I also run without the back portion from time to time if the tank temp rises. Without the back seems to lower temps about 2 degrees for me with no significant increase in evaporation YMMV.

InTank makes this half cover for the back of the tank https://intankaquatics.com/intank-filtration-cover-for-fluval-evo-13-5-52l-and-fluval-spec-16-60l/ which maybe a good comprise.