SaltCritters.com

CaribSea Rubble Zone question

I'm Batman

I bought this CaribSea Rubble Zone to attach frags to and something just dawned on me...

I'm wondering if this is going to cause a cycle by putting these directly in the water without turning these into live rocks. 

Ive had traumatic experiences adding live rock to my tank from other people's tanks, but the dry rock like on BRS I know you're supposed to "cycle" or "cook" by letting them develop their biology before adding to the tank. 

If I glue a frag onto one of these and place it in my 20g, what kind of reactions can I expect? PH imbalance? A complete crash?

Any input isIMG_2222.thumb.JPG.ad3bf8f7646d3e9233f4b89925d087d2.JPG always welcome and much appreciatedIMG_2220.thumb.JPG.df5bcf7343bbc451c96ebaa0aeabf10b.JPG

3 minutes ago, makingfilms said:

I have used these for frags. I believe it has been cleaned of all organic material so if you have adequate bio filtration it shouldn't be a problem.

Awesome love it thanks!!!

Liverock can cause a spike due to die off on it because there is life on it.

Dry reef rock etc has nothing on it to die. It becomes live with time once bacteria becomes established on it.

I have added dry rock with no issues because there's nothing on it to cause a cycle. I wouldn't add uncured liverock to my existing tank though.

That's why when you cycle a tank with dry rock you have to dose ammonia and bacteria, there's. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

have added dry rock with no issues because there's nothing on it to cause a cycle.

So the consensus says, dry rock is fine!

Think I'd be ok to add dry rock to fill in empty spaces in my aquascape?

Just now, Clown79 said:

I don't see why not. If you are worried you can pre cure it in a bucket or buy carbisea life rock. 

There's always room to worry adding anything to our tanks lol! I'd like to fill in the voids without waiting 6 months! I trust your experience... thanks!

I like caribsea life rock.

I've added it to my tanks with no issue 

It's coloured to look like liverock and injected with bacteria. Its shaped nicely and breaks easily for creating different designs.

It's dry aragonite rock just looks nicer than plain old white

2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I like caribsea life rock.

I've added it to my tanks with no issue 

I like the look of the "life rock." Where did you order yours from? Does it ship wet or dry?

The life rock is dry aragonite. Its coloured to look like coralline and has bacteria injected.

My next tank will be set up with this. 

It's never flaked like the other brands and I have real coralline growing in it.

I'm in Canada, I've gotten it locally.

Marinedepot has it on sale right now

6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Marinedepot has it on sale right now

I saw that from marine depot. 

Just went to to my LFS and picked up these two chunks of indo-pacific dry rock.

I'll be dropping these in tonight. I can probably just pour biospira in the bucket with salt water rinse them off and inject these rocks myself right?

IMG_2236.thumb.JPG.360c608df0ee1518795212dd71cdd141.JPG