Coral Vue Hydros

Aquaclear filter media setup advice?

oceanboy

I'm using an Aquaclear 50 HOB on my 15 gallon reef tank. I replaced the activated carbon that came with it with chemi pure blue, and I left the bio media and mechanical sponge in that came with it. Should I also remove the sponge and/or bio balls insert for possible nitrate/phosphate issues or are they good? Thanks! :)

You're off to a good start.  I had an AC70, so a little bigger, but I had the original sponge, then Chemipure Elite, 2 small Chemi blues, Purigen, and I kept the bio media as it is now more like araganite.

• Like 1

If you have enough liverock, you don't need the bio media.

The sponge can lead to nutrient issues even when washed weekly.

Using filter floss that is replaced 2 times a week is better than the sponge.

• Like 1
Martin Riggs

The 50 is tiny. I have one on a 29g FW.  But that setup is stock sponge, media bag of carbon than stock bio media. 

My AC 110 on my 55g. Stock sponge cut in half, eggcrate, micron pad, eggcrate, left side chemipure blue than stock bio media on right. Of course listed bottom to top. 

Im beginning to believe I should be in that filter box once a week than once a month with rinsing sponge and changing micron pad. 

I had a AQ50 on my 20H. I used filter floss and live rock rubble. Tossed in a bag of carbon or purigen, depending on what my needs were. 

Ditch the bio media.....the sponge is ok as long as its kept very clean....I mean, VERY clean. I ditched it cause it was just easier with filter floss, especially to clean....basically you just toss the floss and replace. 

I use seachem tidal filter. Awesome filter.

Filter floss purchased in bulk for $10, cut to size and switched out twice a week.

Media bag of seachem carbon

Media bag with phosguard

Media bag of purigen

Each bag is rinsed weekly

Carbon replaced every 2-3 weeks

Phosguard replaced every 2 weeks or as needed

Purigen replaced when exhausted

I siphon my filter weekly to keep it free of detritus 

I no longer use chemipure. Over priced, doesn't last as long as stated, I like to control qty of my media used for my tanks needs and when it's replaced.

1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Filter floss purchased in bulk for $10, cut to size and switched out twice a week.

Media bag with phosguard

Media bag of purigen

I no longer use chemipure. Over priced, doesn't last as long as stated, I like to control qty of my media used for my tanks needs and when it's replaced.

I never had a chance to use it, but I had one of the tidal 55 sitting in a box for when the AQ50 went on me. Its going to end up in my sons tank I think. I just love the idea of the surface skimmer attachment as I used the FLuval surface skimmer for a decade. 

@Dominator

I have used every hob i can think of over the yrs on reefs and fw excluding whisper and topfin.

By far my fav is now the tidal.

The sicce pump is silent! 

The media basket is huge, I still have room with all I use. 

I really like that it has a surface skimmer because most don't and you have to add the ugly attachment to most which are a pain to clean and they jam up easily. Not to mention the up room in the tank.

The skimmer and intake have separate controls too so you can use 1 without the other or control how much you use of each together.

Totally controllable return flow.

• 1 year later...
On 8/16/2017 at 1:25 PM, Clown79 said:

Media bag with phosguard

Media bag of purigen

By rinsed do you mean under tap water?

3 hours ago, Newbie888 said:

By rinsed do you mean under tap water?

I rinse my media bags with every waterchange, usually under tap then the waterchange water. It's just to remove detritus from the bags.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I rinse my media bags with every waterchange, usually under tap then the waterchange water. It's just to remove detritus from the bags.

Do you use prime because of the Tap water because as of now I have sponge on the bottom,  purigen, then chemipure, in that order. I think I'm going to remove the sponge seen I hear most experience guys take it out,  I also have cut to size filter pad on intake held on buy rubber bands which is changed when dirty. I'm thinking of adding phosgaurd , how do you siphon the filter with an air line tube?

13 minutes ago, Newbie888 said:

Do you use prime because of the Tap water because as of now I have sponge on the bottom,  purigen, then chemipure, in that order. I think I'm going to remove the sponge seen I hear most experience guys take it out,  I also have cut to size filter pad on intake held on buy rubber bands which is changed when dirty. I'm thinking of adding phosgaurd , how do you siphon the filter with an air line tube?

No, I don't use prime for small rinses. Most often I just rinse the media bags in the waterchange water, when I change the media, I run it under tap and quick rinse in waterchange water. No prime used.

I don't use sponges or pads, just filter floss.

Phosguard should only be used as needed or it will strip the tank of available nutrients.

On a hob I either used my vacuum or a turley baster 2 weeks to remove detritus

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Clown79 said:

No, I don't use prime for small rinses. Most often I just rinse the media bags in the waterchange water, when I change the media, I run it under tap and quick rinse in waterchange water. No prime used.

I don't use sponges or pads, just filter floss.

Phosguard should only be used as needed or it will strip the tank of available nutrients.

On a hob I either used my vacuum or a turley baster 2 weeks to remove detritus

Ok good to know what about sky high nitrates , I just started and only have a yellow tail damsel and I thought my cycle was good but I have like 50ppm , besides water changes of which I guess im going to have to do 25% everyday till those go down , is there an additive or media that bring nitrates down and thanks man your giving me great advice 

22 minutes ago, Newbie888 said:

Ok good to know what about sky high nitrates , I just started and only have a yellow tail damsel and I thought my cycle was good but I have like 50ppm , besides water changes of which I guess im going to have to do 25% everyday till those go down , is there an additive or media that bring nitrates down and thanks man your giving me great advice 

Has your cycle completed? 

Once a cycle is completed we recommend a very large waterchange, like 90%. 

2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Has your cycle completed? 

Once a cycle is completed we recommend a very large waterchange, like 90%. 

No only just started there's some  Ammonia, and nitrites,  I'm useing damsel and seachem  Stability. Should I wait till Ammonia and nitrites gone even tho nitrates dumb high

47 minutes ago, Newbie888 said:

No only just started there's some  Ammonia, and nitrites,  I'm useing damsel and seachem  Stability. Should I wait till Ammonia and nitrites gone even tho nitrates dumb high

Ammonia.25ppm nitrites .50ppm nitrate  .80ppm I'm pretty sure that's bad

1 hour ago, Newbie888 said:

Ammonia.25ppm nitrites .50ppm nitrate  .80ppm I'm pretty sure that's bad

It's in the middle of a cycle, the nitrates can get even higher.

Cycling with a fish isn't recommended any more because it can effect their health.

Once the cycle is done, a very large waterchange will need to be done to reduce the nitrates