inTank Media Baskets

ID possible pest nem or hydroid

vangvace

DSC_0457

In the lit area there is an orange anemone looking thing with white balls on the tips. In normal kitchen lighting it looks red based. I have them all over my rock and I believe that they might be stinging my coral. Overall, the body stays about zoanthid size but they multiply. Is this something to worry about? I'll try to post a better picture tomorrow

Yeah, it is a pain in the butt to see. In the following picture you can see it clearer on the right side and top of the rock. 

DSC_6361

Here you can see how they are kinda a colony of things. They are stinging the corals. 

DSC_6367

In doing some web searching it might be a type of Pseudocorynactis  that happens to become a plague. I am considering removing most of the rock from my tank to remove the problem if I cannot find a better way to take care of this possible pest. 

I actually just saw today on a new frag what I think is the same thing no? the only thing I could find was "club tipped anemone" Im at a loss if I should remove it early, but from what you mention, maybe its better I do remove it early, Maybe snapping off the piece its sitting on? bump

HitchhikerA2.jpeg

HitchhikerA1.jpeg

That actually looks the same. I scraped some off a toadstool I received and a day later it opened up. It might be a bad line of thinking though. I am going to swap out the effected rock once my shipment from reefcleaners arrives. 

• 3 months later...

Yes i agree with RayWhisperer. Even i think that there are small worms. It looks like pest/infestation and not the normal part of the body. You should try consulting a professional like Pest Control Cheshire CT which one can find checking for them online. They can better tell you exactly what is wrong with the plant and if it is infestation, they can help you get rid of it so that your plant should be safe.

2 hours ago, PaulDozier said:

Yes i agree with RayWhisperer. Even i think that there are small worms. It looks like pest/infestation and not the normal part of the body. You should try consulting a professional like Pest Control Cheshire CT which one can find checking for them online. They can better tell you exactly what is wrong with the plant and if it is infestation, they can help you get rid of it so that your plant should be safe.

anyway, Vang, you have ball anemones. 

Ive never seen loads on one rock before, though. They normally don’t reproduce like pest anemones, so I’ve always just enjoyed them, myself. They will sting the shit out of anything around them. If you’re looking to get rid of some, im sure joes juice or aptasia x will do the job.