Cultivated Reef

Fuzzy, maroon, soft... something

nubreefer

I don't think it's an SPS. Doesn't have any sort of calcium structure and it's soft. I was thinking a sponge of some sort, but I wouldn't think it'd be fuzzy. Almost has a velvety texture like a deer's antler before the fuzz is rubbed off. And sorry but I think that's as close as I can get, it's tiny and I only have a camera phone at the moment.

I would say it is a sponge but without a better pic, wouldn't testify to it. Check out the antler sponge (how you described it and yes there is such a sponge) and see the pics on that to be sure.

It just doesn't look like a spunge though. It doesn't have any sort of fibrous structure like most sponges do. It just looks furryhairyfuzzy and it's branching like a coral would, but it has no hard skeleton. It's only about 1/2" tall and the largest diameter is about 1".

Hey let me go off into left field. Is that a star polyp of some kind. Mine does that after it splits off from the main. That might actually be a green star polyp. If the bottom encrusts and it starts growing directly on the rock then that might be it. But then I could be totally off :) .

Tony

I have something that looks just like that on one of my LR. It's maroon in color, soft and look fuzzy. It is not a polyp. nothing is coming out of it, and it just stay that way. I asked the same question before and consensus is... they are not sure what it is, but it culd be a sort of sponge. ;P

Archived