Top Shelf Aquatics

BTA Splitting?

I'm Batman

So I purchased this green Bubble Tip Anemone from a fellow reefers about 8 months back. In my old tank he grabbed foot right away and stayed there for about a month.

He lets loose about every other month and then finds footing again a couple days later. Each time time after he lets loose I try everything I can to keep him from getting sucked into the intake, but once I think he's grabbed footing at 4am I finally get to bed then wake a few hours later to find him jammed up in the intake or powerhead. This is a whole other thread all together...

I met up with the guy I bought him from and told my story... turns out, this is particular anemone is a split from his most favorite anemone he's ever had that splits about 3-4 times a year. 

He he says it lets loose and then splits a day or two after.

Well I was up (not quite till 4) Monday night after he let loose again trying cohearse him back to the rocks and decided to let him do his thing. He developed this light pale whitish mark on his side last night after he grabbed footing.

This evening climbs back behind the rocks and it looks as if he's splitting.... pics attached...

I'm wondering if all the other times it let loose, he was going to split but got thrown off because of the intake/powerhead trauma. 

Last night

IMG_2184.thumb.JPG.6919388c0515683a56abccbb77a23a58.JPG

Today

IMG_2209.thumb.JPG.e5642dec9c0c7a974801510d3264bb4c.JPG

I'd be very concerned about an anemone getting caught in a powerhead. If it dies and you don't catch it right away it has the potential to crash the whole tank. Is there a way to put any kind of pre filter on the uptake?

As for it splitting I can't really say for sure. Mine split recently, but stayed put where it was. make sure there is a place for it to hang out where there is little to slightly moderate flow.  

2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I'd be very concerned about an anemone getting caught in a powerhead.

Trust me it's devestating. Good thing is, he's recovered every time. And of course I put prefilter on the uptake but it's extremely counter active to the filtration of the system!!

• Like 1

And when he met the powerhead.. 

IMG_0489.thumb.JPG.f58cd852bd0d3bb88b89f5883ba2655c.JPG

I even had netting over the Koralia and he still got sucked into the front of it.

Here's about a month after the powerhead incident.... he decided he was going to stay footed to the powerhead... which sucked because I was down a koralia so I had to put that spraybar pico pump and was no where the amount of flow I need for that tank.

IMG_0841.thumb.JPG.320a6103887e036d7cd0a5b743166d63.JPG

• Like 1
On 8/16/2017 at 10:43 AM, Pjanssen said:

Its a pretty Nem and your clown loves it. Hope it all works out and someone with more Nem experience chimes in for you. Good luck

Did it split? You decide... 

IMG_2361.thumb.JPG.722975fa883701fc935c2b0f09e272dc.JPG