ReefCleaners.org

livestock for a 1 gallon pico jar?

Friendly

well, my hopes were dashed when the 2 gallon arrived smashed to smithereens...but, I do have a 1 gallon, 3 quart and 1/2 gallon to play with.

the pic is the 2, 1 and .5 gallon versions...missing the 3 quart.

the 1 gallon's dimensions are approx. 7.5" tall w/7.5" diameter. it has a glass lid, but it's peaked with a knob on top, so I'm not sure if  I can keep it on and use a light. 

so, if I get a ABI Tuna Blue, think the 12w would be enough, or should I go for the 24w? 

plan is softies and then hopefully 1 shrimp and 1 crab and a couple small snails.

I am thinking of copying the bucket sump, so no air pump would be needed as the pump inside the bucket would provide the necessary circulation. I could make the bucket sump a chaeto reactor too, if the extra volume isn't enough to hold the inverts.  :ninja:

$_1.JPG

Natalia has a knobby lid on her bowl which I think is 1.8 gallons? She has the 12w ABI bulb about 18 inches above the bowl, if I recall correctly. Moving it down damages many of the corals. So you'll want the 12w, the 24w will burn everything you put in it lol. Will be interesting to see how you choose to plumb it if you use the bucket sump.

well, good news. while the Heritage Hill jar seems to be EOL, there is still stock of the Montana Jar, which has a 2.5 gallon option for $25.

think i will get that instead!  :D 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 6:46 AM, Friendly said:

well, good news. while the Heritage Hill jar seems to be EOL, there is still stock of the Montana Jar, which has a 2.5 gallon option for $25.

think i will get that instead!  :D 

What will you use for the lid?  I see the Montana jar comes with a metal lid.  I haven't found any 2 gallon +, Anchor Hocking jars with glass lids.

24 minutes ago, gena said:

What will you use for the lid?  I see the Montana jar comes with a metal lid.  I haven't found any 2 gallon +, Anchor Hocking jars with glass lids.

My local Walmart has half-gallon, gallon, and 2 gallon sizes with glass lids.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

My local Walmart has half-gallon, gallon, and 2 gallon sizes with glass lids.

Really?  Ok...as much as I dislike Walmart, I am going to go have a look LOL.  I've just been looking online so far. 

6 minutes ago, gena said:

Really?  Ok...as much as I dislike Walmart, I am going to go have a look LOL.  I've just been looking online so far. 

haha yea, I found it in the kitchen goods section, where they have storage containers for food and such, like cookie jars.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

haha yea, I found it in the kitchen goods section, where they have storage containers for food and such, like cookie jars.

Ok, cool!  I'll go look next week.  No way would I try going there on a weekend :wacko:.

hey Gena, yeah, Mal Wart should have two options from Anchor Hockings...the Heritage Hill 2 gallon and then their Montana 2.5 gallon. 

I just got the Montana 2.5 gallon. bought it off Amazon and it arrived in fine condition. only thing is it has a metal lid, so you'd have to improvise something salt water safe for it. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Friendly said:

hey Gena, yeah, Mal Wart should have two options from Anchor Hockings...the Heritage Hill 2 gallon and then their Montana 2.5 gallon. 

I just got the Montana 2.5 gallon. bought it off Amazon and it arrived in fine condition. only thing is it has a metal lid, so you'd have to improvise something salt water safe for it. 

I'm going to go check them out next week :).

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Lol yeah it's Labor Day, I do need to get groceries later but ugh.

Yeah, I need to go out too for a few things.  Chicken for barbecuing tonight and lunch stuff for the week.  Hopefully it won't be too bad out there.

• Like 1