ReefCleaners.org

Bringing home Corals

I'm Batman

We all know bringing corals home from a pristine system and putting them in a poorly maintained system will cause all sorts of problems... and then we have a string of posts that go something like:

OP -  "My coral looks like it's dying"

Reply - "what are your parameters?"

OP - "I think it's dying please help"

Multiple replies "what are your parameters!"

OP - "I just dosed a bunch of part A and B formula and now everything else looks like it's dying" 

Reply "what are your parameters?"

A WEEK LATER

OP - "I keep moving my coral around and now I think it's dead and after continued dosing of random chemicals I have an algae outbreak and everything else is dying!!"

Reply - "what are your parameters"

????

You get the picture!!

The topic here is, bringing corals home from a poorly maintained system and putting into a pristine system that has plenty of thriving life.

The reason I ask is, we a LFS that does not have climate control and EVeRYThING gets bleached out on the 90F-100F days but they still sell and then replace with more corals, then their UV sterilizer is out and they have "ordered one but it's $5000 so the owner might not order one for a few months because he can't make money since everything looks like crap, and then their chiller goes out and they have a bunch of "albino" corals.

So you take a visit and they have something that catches your eye and clearly it's not in the best shape but they may have it priced where you can't turn it down..... then you take it home...

I've had really good luck on even corals that have fallen behind rocks and died but I find them and glue them down and they flourish. 

Has a majority had good luck? Say taking a coral that's in a system with a 7PH and a 5dkh and putting them in a system with an 8Ph and a 9dkh? Taking a coral from a system that's low on any nutrient and placing it into your perfectly measured and maintained system?

Thoughts welcome ?

Yes. I've had opportunities to save corals.

I don't ask a store what their parameters are because most don't have the answer or use crappy test kits.

With my first 55g I purchased a scolymia that was pretty much down to white With a tiny bit of green flesh (barely there) within 2 months it was poofy, fleshy, and bright green.

I've recently purchased hammers that were not so great and now they have grown

I purchased an scan with 3 very shrunken heads a month ago, its puffy and has 4 heads now

I purchased to fungia plates. Very deflated, one didn't even have tentacles coming out.

These are the 2 that  are the slowest at getting back to good state. They are slowly getting there but not quite there yet. I've had them for 2 mnths.

• Like 2