Top Shelf Aquatics

Jamie's ADA 60P Softy Tank

jamie1210

9 hours ago, samuelhorn said:

Yeah. I started a tank thread a couple of months ago when I was still thinking of a sump or an internal sump area. So for now it's just the tank and a DIY-stand

Now I have decided to go all natural like you, keeping softies and maybe som LPS, and maybe one or two fishes.

Tomorrow DHL will show up with 10kg of Marco rocks, Red Sea live sand, some testkits and a Jeabo SW4 wavemaker.

I will probably be filling the tank next week and start a slow cycle process, maybe add som established live rock from my LFS to speed it up. 

May be adding some internal filtration like this: https://www.marinedepot.com/Tunze_Comline_Streamfilter_3163_Aerobic_Sponges-Tunze-TZ73163-FIFRISAS-vi.html) if needed ahead. :)

Wow, I gotta check out your thread now.  <3 the white stand you made so far!

14 hours ago, gena said:

Agreed, and thank you! :)

Jamie...where did you get your long polyp toadstool?  I LOVE it.  I think we need a video of your tank ;)

Have you ever been to Amazing Reefs and Aquariums in the Orange/Tustin area of OC?  If not, you definitely need to go--it's a beautiful store, more like a showroom than an LFS!  The owner, Ali, has tons of frags of these guys. 

I think I read somewhere on your thread that you're moving to the E. coast?  wow, that's gonna be pretty crazy.  I grew up in NJ, and moved to CA for high school.  I DID miss the snow, but now that I'm older, I'm like, ughhh, I wouldn't want to deal with shoveling snow! lol

3 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

The problem with the Wheeler's gobies is 99% of them come out of Bali and I'm not a fan of fish out of Bali. Cyanide is still being used, hence the cheap price of their fish. The Philippines have them and you get a MUCH better fish. When I get shrimp gobies in, right after their Prazi treatment, they get their shrimp back. You could try to get Orange Spot or Antenna gobies and get better fish. The larger gobies pair with Tiger Pistol shrimp, the Antenna gobies will also pair with a Randall's pistol shrimp.

Ok, THAT might explain why I've had so much trouble with them.  I'm almost too embarrassed to admit it, but I've gone through 4 this summer.... FOUR!  I pretty much gave up on them.  They looked so healthy at the LFS, but didn't even last a week in QT for me :( Thanks for the  tips, I appreciate it.  You sound like the neighborhood Goby Guru here :)

That's the nature of cyanide Jamie, it's an indiscriminate killer. I sent an email to my girl on the west coast to see where most of them are coming from there. She shops the wholesalers in LA for me and she'll know where. I suspect that I'm right that most are coming out of Bali, Lombok, Jakarta or Lupang in Indo. They're not too common from other places with a better track record like Sri Lanka or The Philippines. In the last 15 years The Philippines have REALLY cleaned up their act in regards to cyanide collection.If we could get Indo to do so as well, we'd have it made.

I'm no guru, I've been doing this for over 30 years and importing for damn near as long to one degree or another. 5 years ago I got 2 tanks killed off by LA/DD and decided that I would start back to transshipping and it snowballed into a business. I converted part of my machine shop into a holding facility, last year we started looking to buy a property to do retail as well as wholesale. You learn a thing or 2 in 30 years and I pass things along.

Gobies and blennies have really cool personalities as well, I mean how can you not love them?

aj6bwLe.jpg

95TNrY7.jpg

3qBfdic.jpg

• Like 6
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...