SaltCritters.com

Jamie's ADA 60P Softy Tank

jamie1210

Hey, guys!  I'm a long time lurker here, but here's my first time ever posting a tank thread on NR :).  I already have a 135 gallon tank running which keeps me busy, but I wanted to set up another tank that was super low maintenance.  I hauled out my old ADA tank (which was all the rage back in '08! lol) out from the basement storage and set it up as a softy tank.   The tank has been set up since December of last year, peninsula-style.  

Here's how it was when it was first set up.

20161229_165756.thumb.jpg.3bb094c7eaec0d9392556af0d2d5c6d6.jpg

20161229_165654.thumb.jpg.09085ee49480d803e36b2e33e201f0af.jpg

20161229_165716.thumb.jpg.5865e416fc4907d0713c2c84125f5c8d.jpg

20161229_165709.thumb.jpg.2206383e75646a7d2fb48118d27008e2.jpg

I'm not really much of a taking pictures type person, so I kinda stopped and didn't pick it up again til now! haha.  Oh, well, hopefully I can learn to be more consistent with tank updates :)

Today

fq0i7LHh.jpg

2FBv1qzh.jpg

rkxp7i1h.jpg

• Like 11
  • Wow 2
6 hours ago, Nart said:

Love the simplicity of the whole tank.

What's your maintenance like for a tank like this?

Thank you!  Maintenance is really simple too.  Just a 3-5 gallon water change every 2-3 weeks.  One time it even went into 4 weeks with no ill effects.   I  <3 Softies haha

11 hours ago, 1.0reef said:

Gorgeous and simple, I love the Tomato clown too!

Thanks!  There's actually a pair in there.  It was originally set up for a pair of orange skunks but they developed brook and passed after I introduced some fish without qt ing :(  

5 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Yes, this!!!

Lovely tank.

Thanks! :)

I have some wheelers watchman gobies in qt that I'm hoping to introduce in there next week too.  Hopefully it'll be good motivation for me to take pica and update my thread!

• Like 3
Christopher Marks

This nano reef is gorgeous @jamie1210, I'm glad you decided to start a journal to share with us!

I really love the coral selection you chose, were these frags from your larger reef or new finds? Those gorgonians might be the happiest ones I've ever seen! Do you feed them?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

This nano reef is gorgeous @jamie1210, I'm glad you decided to start a journal to share with us!

I really love the coral selection you chose, were these frags from your larger reef or new finds? Those gorgonians might be the happiest ones I've ever seen! Do you feed them?

Thanks for kind words!   Most of them are new corals, only because I didn't want any repeats from the big tank to the little tank--what would be the fun in that, right?? lol.  I actually don't feed the gorgs at all.  For the most part, the only thing I feed is Ocean Nutrition flakes, and that's just for the clowns.  I'm guessing the crazy PE on the gorgs can be attributed to slow flow, and just a high nutrient environment :)

The tank is skimmerless.  There is a small nano-sized Koralia powerhead, and a small Aquaclear HOB filter, which is run empty (used only for surface agitation).  The lighting is a Chinese LED Galaxy Hydro.  And that is that.  Gotta <3 low maintenance softies, right? haha

• Like 3

So the wheelers watchman gobies did not make it through qt.  I still would like some sort of bottom swimming fish though.  Was thinking of a yellow watchman goby instead now, but maybe I should just leave it as a pair of tomatoes?  Yknow, continue keeping it simple...that, and tomatoes are supposed to get aggressive. ...Hmmm what are your guys' thoughts?

6 hours ago, jamie1210 said:

So the wheelers watchman gobies did not make it through qt.  I still would like some sort of bottom swimming fish though.  Was thinking of a yellow watchman goby instead now, but maybe I should just leave it as a pair of tomatoes?  Yknow, continue keeping it simple...that, and tomatoes are supposed to get aggressive. ...Hmmm what are your guys' thoughts?

Sorry to hear this. 

I have definitely heard that Tomato Clowns can be aggressive as well, although yours are beautiful. 

What about a Goby and Shrimp pair?

That way they'd have a safe burrow to retreat to and defend.

Very pretty tank!  As far as another fish...I think adding a small goby or goby pair would be ideal with the more aggressive clownfish.  You want something that doesn't swim but just hangs out close to the rocks.  Look at the green banded goby or something similar to that :).

• Like 1
12 hours ago, samuelhorn said:

Wow. Beautiful tank! Following!

Just starting a ADA 60p myself, similar to yours, just wavemaker, heater, LS & DR. Taking it slow.

Yay for more ADA 60P's!  Do you have a tank thread?  What kind of wave maker do you have set up?  What are you planning on keeping in it?

11 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Sorry to hear this. 

I have definitely heard that Tomato Clowns can be aggressive as well, although yours are beautiful. 

What about a Goby and Shrimp pair?

That way they'd have a safe burrow to retreat to and defend.

Good idea.  If I do the goby shrimp pair, was leaning toward the yellow watchman goby + tiger pistol shrimp combo. 

7 hours ago, gena said:

Very pretty tank!  As far as another fish...I think adding a small goby or goby pair would be ideal with the more aggressive clownfish.  You want something that doesn't swim but just hangs out close to the rocks.  Look at the green banded goby or something similar to that :).

Thank you!  Weird, I've never even noticed the green banded goby before.  Initially, I was thinking you meant the green version of those yellow citron gobies.  Hmm...I'll have to do some more reading on these guys.  But so far, I like that they can be kept in groups of 3.  Love it when things pair/shoal/school! :D

I am always guilty of overstocking fish, simply bc I LOVE looking at busy tanks. 

Heading to the LFS in a bit....we shall see what we find there! haha

• Like 2

Urghh, why is it that LFS's always seems to have what you're looking for when you're NOT looking for it, and JUST when you're looking for it, they don't??  I swear there were yellow watchman's galore a couple weeks ago ....

Oh, well, in the meantime, took some random pics tonight.

My tomatoes!  My 2 year old named the big one Kiki and the little guy Kooky.  Maybe it's because she named them (something I don't usually do!) but I'm growing fonder of them everyday :wub:  What a difference a name makes! lol

IATs8KAh.jpg

AHCZSR4h.jpg

fFKep5ph.jpg

My yellow fiji leather twins.  The LFS I went to was really generous with these guys.  They were in a tank that said $60.  I had no idea they were on the same rock, and I figured the guy working there would insist on breaking it in half, but he let me take the whole thing.  Score! 

12b36tMh.jpg

Modest "colony" of BBEB's.  Hate the name, but <3 the coral.

mDawLNYh.jpg

My rainbows/Sunny D's that I've had forever and just keep fragging.

4cVZc1qh.jpg

And, finally, a very, very underrated beginner coral--the blue mushroom!  I personally think a whole colony of these are beautiful (and that's what I'm aiming for!), never mind that they are a dime a dozen haha.

(please excuse the corralline on the glass--it is not a fancy new bouncy shroom, or anything of that sort :p)

kz1IxbAh.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 2

You have my dream tank :wub:.  I wish I could stick to just doing softies, but I always have to add in some LPS :lol:.  There is an almost 100% probability that we will be doing a cross country move in a year.  When that happens, my new tank set up will be only softies.  With lots of mushrooms.  I hope you can get the blues to multiply.   I've always had a dream of a mushroom dominant tank and I've yet to make that happen.  It WILL happen LOL.

You have my new favorite tank on NR!!!!!  The tomato clowns are adorable too.

15 hours ago, gena said:

You have my dream tank :wub:.  I wish I could stick to just doing softies, but I always have to add in some LPS :lol:.  There is an almost 100% probability that we will be doing a cross country move in a year.  When that happens, my new tank set up will be only softies.  With lots of mushrooms.  I hope you can get the blues to multiply.   I've always had a dream of a mushroom dominant tank and I've yet to make that happen.  It WILL happen LOL.

You have my new favorite tank on NR!!!!!  The tomato clowns are adorable too.

Wow, thanks!  That means a lot coming from someone who's own tank is insanely nice!!  Did I mention how much I <3 your puffy LPS?? lol  The impending move sucks because you kinda need to start all over, but then again, that's always fun too. Just think, BLUE MUSHROOMS! :)

14 hours ago, SantaMonicaHelp said:

Kiki and Kooky are adorable!! :wub: And even your corals look gorgeous!

-Paola 

Thank you!  I have true perc's in my bigger tank, but TBH, I think I prefer these guys more :)

9 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

So beautiful! The tomatoes are so cool! I love mushrooms too and would love a bunch of them! :wub:

haha I can't wait for them to become "invasive"!

• Like 3
8 hours ago, jamie1210 said:

Wow, thanks!  That means a lot coming from someone who's own tank is insanely nice!!  Did I mention how much I <3 your puffy LPS?? lol  The impending move sucks because you kinda need to start all over, but then again, that's always fun too. Just think, BLUE MUSHROOMS! :)

Thank you!  I have true perc's in my bigger tank, but TBH, I think I prefer these guys more :)

haha I can't wait for them to become "invasive"!

I'm actually excited about the move.  We've been here since 2003 and we were only supposed to stay 5 years LOL.  It is pretty here and it has it's good points.  But I'm not a fan of desert.  I need rain, thunderstorms, real seasons...even snow!!!!  So I'm really excited to move.  Like my husband says, we can always move back if we miss it here that much.  I don't think that will be an issue though.  We'll just vacation out here if we start missing it :).

I'm always up for restarting a tank.  Something fresh and new.  It's fun to do.  And even though I say no LPS next time, I'm sure I won't be able to resist at least one blasto in my tank :).  Definitely wanna go for the dominant mushroom look in this tank's reincarnation.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I actually love Blue Mushrooms myself and oddly enough have a hard time finding them lately. 

I feel like the common discosoma type mushrooms are actually really hard to find, I rarely ever see them!  Someone on ebay has some stripey green ones that I'm thinking about.

10 minutes ago, gena said:

I'm actually excited about the move.  We've been here since 2003 and we were only supposed to stay 5 years LOL.  It is pretty here and it has it's good points.  But I'm not a fan of desert.  I need rain, thunderstorms, real seasons...even snow!!!!  So I'm really excited to move.  Like my husband says, we can always move back if we miss it here that much.  I don't think that will be an issue though.  We'll just vacation out here if we start missing it :).

I'm always up for restarting a tank.  Something fresh and new.  It's fun to do.  And even though I say no LPS next time, I'm sure I won't be able to resist at least one blasto in my tank :).  Definitely wanna go for the dominant mushroom look in this tank's reincarnation.

Blastos are always a good idea!  And you have some gorgeous ones! :happy:

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Blastos are always a good idea!  And you have some gorgeous ones! :happy:

Agreed, and thank you! :)

Jamie...where did you get your long polyp toadstool?  I LOVE it.  I think we need a video of your tank ;)

On 2017-08-16 at 1:59 AM, jamie1210 said:

Yay for more ADA 60P's!  Do you have a tank thread?  What kind of wave maker do you have set up?  What are you planning on keeping in it?

Yeah. I started a tank thread a couple of months ago when I was still thinking of a sump or an internal sump area. So for now it's just the tank and a DIY-stand

Now I have decided to go all natural like you, keeping softies and maybe som LPS, and maybe one or two fishes.

Tomorrow DHL will show up with 10kg of Marco rocks, Red Sea live sand, some testkits and a Jeabo SW4 wavemaker.

I will probably be filling the tank next week and start a slow cycle process, maybe add som established live rock from my LFS to speed it up. 

May be adding some internal filtration like this: https://www.marinedepot.com/Tunze_Comline_Streamfilter_3163_Aerobic_Sponges-Tunze-TZ73163-FIFRISAS-vi.html) if needed ahead. :)

• Like 2

The problem with the Wheeler's gobies is 99% of them come out of Bali and I'm not a fan of fish out of Bali. Cyanide is still being used, hence the cheap price of their fish. The Philippines have them and you get a MUCH better fish. When I get shrimp gobies in, right after their Prazi treatment, they get their shrimp back. You could try to get Orange Spot or Antenna gobies and get better fish. The larger gobies pair with Tiger Pistol shrimp, the Antenna gobies will also pair with a Randall's pistol shrimp.

18 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I actually love Blue Mushrooms myself and oddly enough have a hard time finding them lately. 

Online places like Bluezoo usually have big colonies of them, but the LFS's around here do a lot of single polyps for like 5 bucks.  I would love the blue striped ones, but haven't seen those in awhile myself!

15 hours ago, cju84 said:

Gorgeous tank.  I absolutely love the blue mushrooms.

Thank you!  :)