Cultivated Reef

Nitrates

snostorm

Recently moved and settled down so I am looking to keep some corals again.  Basically had a FOWLR tank for years but have taken the inhabitants and transferred them to a Biocube 32 LED.  Had a mini cycle but now my params

nitrate 80ppm

nitrate 0ppm

NH4 0ppm

PH 8.2

obviously I have a nitrate issue.  My bioload is a mated pair of false percs.  Basically running a stock setup with filter floss and a bag of chemipure.  Skimmer options are limited I really dont believe there is an option to add a skimmer to this tank that would make much of a difference.  WC obviously however I am not sure whats the best way to get my water quality where I want it.  Mini fuge in chamber 2?  a reactor?  Open to ideas.

regards

Did you reuse the old sand without washing it?

If so that's the cause of the mini cycle and spike in nitrates 

When switching or moving tanks it's best to completely wash the sand until it's clean before reusing or using all new sand.

Do you vacuum your sand regularly?

If not it's best to start doing that weekly. Start in small sections. Once it's become a routine then do the whole bed every week.

You will need to do fairly large waterchanges to get nitrates from 80 down to 10 or less.

What water do you use?