ReefCleaners.org

40 Gallon Hob setup (With pics)

Mitch123

Black hair algae is present in FW. It's called black beard.

Green hair algae can sometimes look black in photos due to the lighting.

You can scrub the hair algae off the plugs with a new toothbrush and treat with 3% peroxide using a syringe.

Where are you located in Canada? 

Definitely use distilled until you get an ro/di.

• Like 1

Yeah an RO/DI unit is next up on my list haha. I need to get peroxide, would I be able to use a q tip? or do I have to do it in the water with the syringe? should I go buy coral dip? 

Also I tested the salt and there was no ammonia in it..... i'm very confused 

And im from the shitty city Windsor, Ontario 

Hey everyone I grabbed some coral frags today from the LFS check em out 

also I got a Yellow prawn goby, ugly little guy :lol:

He dident say what kind of zoas they where tho. Help on identifying ?? but I grabbed a torch and mushroom frag nice and easy;)

Screenshot_2017-09-04-22-11-33[1].png

Screenshot_2017-09-04-22-12-08[1].png

Screenshot_2017-09-04-22-11-51[1].png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mitch123 said:

Hey everyone I grabbed some coral frags today from the LFS check em out,

He dident say what kind of zoas they where tho. Help on identifying ??

but I grabbed a torch and mushroom frag nice and easy;)

also I put chemipure elite into the HOB and got a Yellow prawn goby, ugly little guy :lol:

Screenshot_2017-09-04-22-11-33[1].png

Screenshot_2017-09-04-22-12-08[1].png

Screenshot_2017-09-04-22-11-51[1].png

So I have decided that Fridays are going to be my testing day, this is the first time iv tested everything at the same time 

and hope to make it a routine.

Heres the results: 

Magnesium : 1050 Ppm 

Phosphate : between 0.03 and 0.10 Ppm it was kinda hard to tell cause the color was really faint 

Calcium : Im not to sure if I did this one right I ended up with about .38 ml so if I did the test correctly 

Im measuring the amount that is gone if so 0.62 ml was missing from the syringe so I have a 

calcium of 310 Ppm ??:huh:

Alkalinity : at about 10 ppm 

I have also fed my corals reef roids for the first time tonight and i'm planing to do a water change tomorrow because 

I believe I have green hair algae not to sure here's a pic of whats going on in my tank. Maybe its normal coraline algae 

I cant say, so il just sit back and listen to the experts B) 

Screenshot_2017-09-09-05-32-14[1].png

Here are some better pics of my corals, There looking a lot better since I bought them from the LFS. The 

torch is extending his sweeper arms, they glow a little bit orange with florescent green as well. 

Also on a side note my zoas close when I turn on my "moonlight" setting iv been watching them all night and they

will open and close at different times of the night, filter feeding maybe? But il wake up in the morning 

and they'll all be open, keep in mind I run the moonlight all night as you have all told me it dosent affect anything 

so maybe a water change will help

Screenshot_2017-09-09-06-34-02[1].png

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Mitch123 said:

Here are some better pics of my corals, There looking a lot better since I bought them from the LFS. The 

torch is extending his sweeper arms, they glow a little bit orange with florescent green as well. 

Also on a side note my zoas close when I turn on my "moonlight" setting iv been watching them all night and they

will open and close at different times of the night, filter feeding maybe? But il wake up in the morning 

and they'll all be open, keep in mind I run the moonlight all night as you have all told me it dosent affect anything 

so maybe a water change will help

Screenshot_2017-09-09-06-34-02[1].png

These are pretty Zoas!!!

I don't think all your pics are showing up though, I only saw one coral pic. 

I couldn't see what you were referring to as the Green Hair Algae either. 

Your phosphate does seem a little high, which would fuel GHA growth, and your Magnesium is low. 

Can't comment on Calcium since I don't know how that test works or which one it is. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

These are pretty Zoas!!!

I don't think all your pics are showing up though, I only saw one coral pic. 

I couldn't see what you were referring to as the Green Hair Algae either. 

Your phosphate does seem a little high, which would fuel GHA growth, and your Magnesium is low. 

Can't comment on Calcium since I don't know how that test works or which one it is. 

Thanks weet, Im having a little picture posting problem at the moment il post the rest of them in a sec.

and I have a bag of chemi pure runing in my filter and also filer floss, its layered chemi pure, filter floss

then the foam brick on the top. I would change my parameters by using additives correct ? il take a 

trip to the LFS today if so and see what I need to grab. 

Maybe its just my eyes il have someone else look at it for me to tho, Specific gravity is the salinity right ? If it is im at 1.025 right now 

I went to the LFS today and got 2 red sea kits, Algae Management and Foundation KH/Alk gonna be doing some tweeking and 

seeing how much I need to dose and when .

4 hours ago, Mitch123 said:

Specific gravity is the salinity right ?

Basically, but the two do use different units of measure.  You are using specific gravity versus ppt (salinity).  1.025 is just slightly diluted.  1.026 would probably give you slightly better parameters.

I usually recommend just replenishing consumed elements.  So your target parameters would be the same as a newly mixed batch of saltwater (mixed to a specific gravity of 1.026).  That way, water changes don't affect your parameters.  It helps with stability.  If you are unhappy with the parameters of your salt mix, I suggest switching salt mixes.

• Like 2

I currently use Reef Salt, il adjust the salinity during water changes. I got some additives to correct some params, All I used

today was the  Algae Management hopefully that works and gets my Phos. down. Im looking to buy a HOB protein skimmer

also hopefully that will help out a bit 

You definitely need a decent protein skimmer when carbon dosing (like the Algae Management Program).  I think there are other ways to achieve nutrient control besides carbon dosing, but it's fairly commonly used.  Not that there is anything wrong with Red Sea, but you could achieve similar results with dosing vodka.

• Like 1

The less you have to dose, the better.  Using a bunch of additives to try to correct things is a recipe for potential parameter swings and unhappy livestock.  Besides, a tank this new is unlikely to need dosing yet.  Use water changes to get your major parameters in line and before dosing, you want to measure consumption daily at the same time to see what you're losing.  Do this for a week, from water change to water change.  But again, a new tank is unlikely to need dosing till the coral bioload gets heavier, and then only with stony corals. :)

• Like 3
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey reefers its been exactly a month since I posted last just wanted to post some updates for anyone thats interested. iv nabbed 

a couple of new corals since I last posted and also had and algae epidemic. I bought myself a hob skimmer, I ended up getting the 

reef OCTO 1000, it started turning the algae white which was a good sight im assuming. but I also bought a lawnmower blenny just 

to be safe and also cause he was a cool little guy. Now the thing that im probably gonna get hate on is I bought a baby yellow sailfin 

tang but at the same time dont worry im getting my 90 gallon running in a little bit and i have some time till he grows ;) But enough 

with the typing heres some pictures 

Screenshot_2017-10-11-01-43-26[1].png

• Like 2