inTank Media Baskets

40 Gallon Hob setup (With pics)

Mitch123

im gonna pull it out and get a close up almost positive its a dead hermit or one that molted, weird thing is tho i cant find the shell if it is a dead one ??:huh:

Yeah, it's probably just a molt.  Nothing to worry about.  However, the black stuff might be a concern.  Dipping might not be enough.   You really don't want to introduce something nasty into your tank.

• Like 1

Very true, some of the corals look completely fine tho. il post a pic of them. Like @Lula_Mae said, one of my next goals after the light system is an RO/DI 

But heres the hermit thing 

Screenshot_2017-08-26-16-05-00[1].png

4 hours ago, Mitch123 said:

Hair algae is black correct? cause if so then I seen it in one tank. all the other ones where good tho. also there a guy on kijiji wanting to sell his corals but they have the black hairy looking stuff on em ( possily hair algae like you said ) but he said a coral dip would do wonders and I can stock them im my tank after I dip, one more thing, today I think one of my 'blueleg" hermit ether molted or died heres a pic, his shell is gone tho 

Screenshot_2017-08-26-14-41-46[1].png

Hair algae is green.  I think there's a black hairy algae in the freshwater world.  I don't think it's something I'd choose to introduce lol.  Not sure about the algae in the kijiji tank but fair warning that anything introduced can be a PITA to get rid of.

• Like 2

I can't tell what color that algae is (the color of the photo is way off).  It could be a red algae.  A dip probably wouldn't take care of it.  Still, I'd like a better pic of it before I decided to go ahead with it or not.  But the coral itself looks healthy.

Thats what I was saying all the heads are out and the color is stunning, if I get a piece that dosenthave the algae on it will it still infect my water ? im going to setup a QT tank soon 

2 hours ago, Mitch123 said:

if I get a piece that dosenthave the algae on it will it still infect my water ?

It depends.  If it did have algae, and it was removed prior to pictures, or shipping, then it will probably return.  The algae's holdfasts are normally left intact as the algae is removed.  I would quarantine for a couple of months as a precaution.  If the algae is growing on the frag plug, I'd remove the plug.  However, it's possible that algae holdfasts are growing on the coral skeleton of stony corals.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, seabass said:

It depends.  If it did have algae, and it was removed prior to pictures, or shipping, then it will probably return.  The algae's holdfasts are normally left intact as the algae is removed.  I would quarantine for a couple of months as a precaution.  If the algae is growing on the frag plug, I'd remove the plug.  However, it's possible that algae holdfasts are growing on the coral skeleton of stony corals.

He should be able to kill any algae holdfasts that remain after removing what he can by using food grade peroxide. 

That's what I do to kill stuff on frag plugs or rock that is in crevices that I don't know if I can get to all the way. 

That is the stronger peroxide (I think maybe 35%), not the over the counter stuff. 

I wear gloves when I use it, but just use a dropper or q-tip to apply the peroxide to what you need to eliminate, then rinse in RO or distilled water thoroughly before returning it to the tank. 

• Like 1

Yep Weetie, I have 35% food grade peroxide.  It burns the crap out of your skin. :)

Peroxide is largely an effective tool.  I've tried relying on it to ensure the removal of pest algae.  I swear I had some algae that was resistant (it was certainly resistant to 3% peroxide).  In reality, it was probably just too close to the coral flesh for me to treat fully with 35% peroxide, as I can't imagine algae actually surviving straight 35% peroxide.

• Like 1
On 8/27/2017 at 3:05 AM, seabass said:

He hasent even messaged me back about them  :/ maybe they died ?...

But on a brighter note I got a new light system and im just gonna use the coralife fixture for my 90 gallon in the future, @Weetabix7 was gonna help me ship the lights over 

and was so much help !! But for the same price my LFS sold me a Fluval T5, 4 bulb fixture with a nighttime swich, from what I can tell it was brand new and im happy with the purchase 

and will definitely be setting up the 90 gallon in the future. But for now heres the 40 gall :

Bottom pic is the moonlight 

Screenshot_2017-08-31-14-50-55[1].png

Screenshot_2017-08-31-14-51-18[1].png

• Like 2

If you cant see them I got some green/blue reef chromis today also, shiny guys B) I have 2 actinic and two aqua blues in the Fluval. 

Also I had my salt mixed in a bucket and it started going through a mini cycle so I might just use that to start the cycle in my qt tank:huh:

6 hours ago, Mitch123 said:

If you cant see them I got some green/blue reef chromis today also, shiny guys B) I have 2 actinic and two aqua blues in the Fluval. 

Also I had my salt mixed in a bucket and it started going through a mini cycle so I might just use that to start the cycle in my qt tank:huh:

What do you mean when you say it started going through a mini-cycle, and how did you know?

Did you test it for some reason?

Also, that light fixture is great!!!!!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

What do you mean when you say it started going through a mini-cycle, and how did you know?

Did you test it for some reason?

Also, that light fixture is great!!!!!

yeah I tested it and it had some ammonia in it only 0,5 ppm but still cant use it, I have a ten gallon I can setup for QT 

I dont know what made me test it, :huh: but lucky I did LOL

23 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I think I read the other day that certain salts when mixed up in water can produce a little ammonia as a byproduct.

Actually, almost all salts contain a little ammonia.  Seachem posted the following:

A silent contaminant of commercial salt is ammonia, arising from the use of magnesium chloride as a principal source of magnesium. Many sources of calcium chloride are likewise contaminated with ammonia. Consequently, most, if not all, brands of salt contain ammonia, usually enough to yield between 0.1 - 0.8mg/L in a freshly prepared batch of saltwater. In most instances, this may not be a problem because the ammonia is diluted by the existing tank water and the biological filter should clear it in short order. But, it is definitely not a promotional feature of any salt, and, for that reason, has remained a well kept secret.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, seabass said:

Actually, almost all salts contain a little ammonia.  Seachem posted the following:

A silent contaminant of commercial salt is ammonia, arising from the use of magnesium chloride as a principal source of magnesium. Many sources of calcium chloride are likewise contaminated with ammonia. Consequently, most, if not all, brands of salt contain ammonia, usually enough to yield between 0.1 - 0.8mg/L in a freshly prepared batch of saltwater. In most instances, this may not be a problem because the ammonia is diluted by the existing tank water and the biological filter should clear it in short order. But, it is definitely not a promotional feature of any salt, and, for that reason, has remained a well kept secret.

It was probably a post from you that I'd read, and I couldn't remember exactly what it had said so thanks for chiming in!

• Like 2
On 9/1/2017 at 0:38 PM, Mitch123 said:

yeah I tested it and it had some ammonia in it only 0,5 ppm but still cant use it, I have a ten gallon I can setup for QT 

I dont know what made me test it, :huh: but lucky I did LOL

Ammonia presence isn't the start of a cycle.

Nitrites would be evidence of a cycle.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, themummra said:

Ammonia presence isn't the start of a cycle.  Nitrites would be evidence of a cycle.

Well ammonia would precede nitrite.  You might even say an increase of nitrate is even better evidence.

However, there would have to be an ammonia source.  A clean bucket of water doesn't have anything to break down.  Therefore the ammonia probably came from the salt mix.

I've had a bucket of Instant Ocean mix test positive at 0.25 ppm ammonia, then the next bucket test undetectable.  0.50 ppm is high, but not outside what Seachem claims is possible.  @Mitch123, what brand of salt mix do you use?  Try mixing another batch and test it to confirm.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, seabass said:

Well ammonia would precede nitrite.  You might even say an increase of nitrate is even better evidence.

However, there would have to be an ammonia source.  A clean bucket of water doesn't have anything to break down.  Therefore the ammonia probably came from the salt mix.

I've had a bucket of Instant Ocean mix test positive at 0.25 ppm ammonia, then the next bucket test undetectable.  0.50 ppm is high, but not outside what Seachem claims is possible.  @Mitch123, what brand of salt mix do you use?  Try mixing another batch and test it to confirm.

Right, but ammonia comes from waste. It doesn't come from the cycle.  So it wouldn't indicate a cycle has happened or is happening

• Like 2

Really? I never knew salt could go bad, il make some new water when I go get a new mixing bucket probably gonna go to the LFS today to grab some goodies. 

Also  I use Instant ocean reef salt, hopefully its not the salt it costs soo muchh, if it is do you think the LFS will give me a new one?

26 minutes ago, Mitch123 said:

Really? i never knew salt could go bad, il make some new water when I go get a new mixing bucket probably gonna go to the LFS today to grab some goodies. 

Also @seabass I use Instant ocean reef salt, hopefully its not the salt it costs soo muchh, if it is do you think the LFS will give me a new one?

It doesn't really go bad; at least that's not why there is ammonia (it can go bad if the dry mix is exposed to too much moisture).  The ammonia is just a common contaminate in the magnesium chloride and calcium chloride.  Apparently it's more pronounced in some batches than others.  It's actually OK to use this way, unless you do a large water change.  I suppose that you could ask your LFS if they'd be willing to replace it.  At worse, they'll say no.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, I havent had the chance to get out today and get a bucket but I will be doing all my testing tomorrow after I go out and get a get one for a  water change