Pod Your Reef

40 Gallon Hob setup (With pics)

Mitch123

Hey reefers, So I finally got my tank and im so excited to get started, its a 40 gallon tank. I went with a AquaClear110 Hob filter (Hang on back) an Eheim 150w heater and a saltwater refractometer for today. Im heading back to the Lfs tomorrow to get all of the other goodies like test kits, power-head, lighting, dry rocks, carbon and other stuff like that and possibly a Hob protein skimmer. Im not looking to put many rocks in and only a couple corals also not to sure what stock is going in as of right now just want to get the water parameters thing down pat. Tell me what you think about my setup and feel free to leave any advice that you think would help, Thanks :D

fishtank[1].png

It looks like you may have the same tank I do, and I have an AquaClear 110 on it as well!!

I have really loved the AC 110 so far, the flow from it is great. 

For myself, I have a Korallia 1 on one side and 2 Korallia nanos on the other side for supplemental flow. 

My setup is a little unconventional though. 

You're welcome to check it out if you'd like, it's the first tank thread linked in my Sig.

• Like 1

@seabass yeah I was gonna head back to my lfs today and grab a couple things like that, the tank cleared up quite a bit to. I have also found a Coralife Aqualight Pro 150 Watt X2 Metal Halide on kijiji ( the Canadian version of craigslist ), and @Weetabix7 I wasent to sure on the powerheads yet cause im not sure what stock is going in and im still researching what flow I need exactly. But il be checking your 40 gallon thread right now, thanks

Screenshot_2017-08-09-13-52-18[2].png

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Mitch123 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031b@seabass yeah I was gonna head back to my lfs today and grab a couple things like that, the tank cleared up quite a bit to. I have also found a Coralife Aqualight Pro 150 Watt X2 Metal Halide on kijiji ( the Canadian version of craigslist ), and @Weetabix7 I wasent to sure on the powerheads yet cause im not sure what stock is going in and im still researching what flow I need exactly. But il be checking your 40 gallon thread right now, thanks

Screenshot_2017-08-09-13-52-18[2].png

I would personally really like that light, although most people are going the led route nowadays. 

• Like 1
burtbollinger
2 minutes ago, Mitch123 said:

@burtbollinger yeah I was going to get one but the lady a my Lfs said I wont need one for a little bit, I dont really trust any Lfs in my city tho they all suck.

there's no rush on it.  

smart not to trust the LFS though :)

• Like 1

OK, there's nothing wrong with it... but I'm not digging the freshwater background.  Personally I've grown fond of clear backs (even with HOB equipment).  But that's just my personal preference.  Like they say, whatever floats your boat. :)

• Like 5

Looking good. Love the keep it simple theme. I have had great results with this method. I am going to go a bit more advanced soon though. Can check out the video. Yes. I love my GSP HAHA.   

I use a simple flat blue background, not a fan of clear backs which shows all your gear attached. 

• Like 4

The water is so crystal clear, beautiful tank. im gonna go more advanced to once I get everything down pat,  I got a 90 gall with a sump holes drilled in it sitting around so that will be a future project... like farrrr future :bling::tears:

• Like 1

I am pretty good with maintance. I swap filter floss, carbon or purigen in the filter. Most of the time it's just live rock and filter floss though. I slowly noticed that the small micron bag I was using was too small for my live rock. It would act like a mechanical filter and junk would build up really quickly on the bag itself. Cleaned it off and use it for purigen. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mitch123 said:

The water is so crystal clear, beautiful tank. im gonna go more advanced to once I get everything down pat,  I got a 90 gall with a sump holes drilled in it sitting around so that will be a future project... like farrrr future :bling::tears:

Set that 90 gallon up and use the 40 as a sump  lol

• Like 2

@I'm Batman at the moment I live at my moms or I would, apparently the floors are too weak. I wouldn't get it enjoy it anywhere else anyways, I stay cooped up in my room B) also I wanted to get this tank pat down first before I get myself into something to to big.

• Like 2

I have not, I left what came in it and also haven't put in the media bags. iv never heard of 'modding' a Hob, i have also put my temp gauge in the Hob figured id get more accurate results 

There's an InTank media basket you can buy to put in there with separate compartments for chaeto, different media like Purigen, Chemi-Pure, biomax, live rock, filter floss etc...

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Dominator said:

Looking good. Love the keep it simple theme. I have had great results with this method. I am going to go a bit more advanced soon though. Can check out the video. Yes. I love my GSP HAHA.   

I use a simple flat blue background, not a fan of clear backs which shows all your gear attached. 

Nice tank.

I too don't care for clear background unless it's set to be viewed from all sides.

Black, blue, or white background helps with the coral colour

1 hour ago, I'm Batman said:

There's an InTank media basket you can buy to put in there with separate compartments for chaeto, different media like Purigen, Chemi-Pure, biomax, live rock, filter floss etc...

Do you need a separate light for the chaeto in the filter?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah. The most popular are the JBJ and I think the Innovative Marine. There's a couple $10 lights on Amazon I was looking at but one reviewer said his chaeto died with it. I'm gonna go post a new thread now asking for all in one or hang on back diy chaeto light in hardware.

• Like 1

People on planted tanks really like Beamsworks lights too. I had one for a planted tank, well, actually, it showed up broken and was returned. However, still a great light and customer service was right on point with a return label. I could not wait for a replacement at the time, so went with a different light. I ended up changing my mind and wanted to focus on my saltwater tank a few months later.

Might have to improvise a way to mount it (maybe velcro or something to hand it on the wall behind and build a shield around it to block the leaking light. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, I'm Batman said:

is there a specific protein skimmer I need for this attachment? 

50 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Nice tank.

I too don't care for clear background unless it's set to be viewed from all sides.

Black, blue, or white background helps with the coral colour

Do you need a separate light for the chaeto in the filter?

Thanks I dident really think about that, I should have at least did the back but. I do view it from the one side tho 

So I went to the Lfs again today and I picked up a couple more things, I got a small powerhead which im eventually gonna use for one of my water reserve, and an API marine saltwater master test kit which measures high range pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates. I had a fun day doing a little bit of aquascaping also so I have a little something to look at haha ;)

Screenshot_2017-08-10-02-32-52[1].png

• Like 1