Top Shelf Aquatics

where do you buy the acrylic sheeting to make an AIO sump?

Friendly

Christopher Marks

Are the Yellow Pages still a thing? Back in the day I used it to find a local acrylic supplier listed under 'plastics'. Seriously, that was a category! If you search for 'plastic' on Google Maps in your area or the nearest city, I bet you'll come across something.

• 2 weeks later...

hey hooligan, I'm a man with two hands full of thumbs. I haven't a constructive bone in my body.  :blush:

I'll see if the CDN version of Home Despot carries acrylic. I shouldn't worry about there being options that leech chemicals into the water?  :unsure:

• Like 1
On 8/9/2017 at 10:36 AM, Friendly said:

that's awesome, batman!

how much did Cromag charge?

Maybe $70 shipped for that! It was almost a year ago I had him make those for me so I'm not sure exactly, but it was reasonable and the quality was incredible!

4 hours ago, hooligan_78 said:

Dude.  You can go to Home Depot, they sell acrylic and will cut it to your specs.  Super cheap.  Used to do it all the time.  

They have a precision cutter at Home Depot for acrylic? I doubt they'll cut the teeth in the overflow the same length. 

Have you you ever been to Home Depot? There's nobody in sight to help you and when you do find someone they direct you to the other side of the store, only to discover that the product you're looking for was on the side of the store you just came from.

I highly doubt you'll find someone that's going to put the maticulous craft that @cromag08 puts into making your project. No offense to Home Depot employees or hooligan_78...

10 hours ago, I'm Batman said:

They have a precision cutter at Home Depot for acrylic? I doubt they'll cut the teeth in the overflow the same length. 

Have you you ever been to Home Depot? There's nobody in sight to help you and when you do find someone they direct you to the other side of the store, only to discover that the product you're looking for was on the side of the store you just came from.

I highly doubt you'll find someone that's going to put the maticulous craft that @cromag08 puts into making your project. No offense to Home Depot employees or hooligan_78...

You're clearly the expert,   Nevermind the fact that I've had the baffles for EVERY sump I've ever built cut at Home Depot, but hey what would I know?

• Haha 1

hooligan, he commented from his experience...which I can correlate with...and why I call it Home Despot.

the only department I've never had problems with is key cutting.

why does everyone look for reasons to take offense? it's very sad to see... :( 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, hooligan_78 said:

You're clearly the expert,   Nevermind the fact that I've had the baffles for EVERY sump I've ever built cut at Home Depot, but hey what would I know?

I could see them cutting simple sections with a saw.

They use a blade.  Any of my sumps smaller than 20g I would buy the 1/4" and have it cut to size there at the store.  There was one employee that if he was around, I'd ask for someone else because he would act like cutting the shit was like being asked to move a mountain.

guys...settle. you realize you're arguing over Home Despot, right?

some stores are managed better than others, so there will be varying degrees of how well the corporate standards and services are adhered to. 

hooligan, do you have any photo's of the sumps you've built using the parts from HD?  :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
MainelyReefer

Hooligan is right.  However I would say the quality of the base material at HD is questionable at best.  I stuck to eBay for acrylic as the shipping was included and also one sheet on amazon prime.  If I had a larger order getting it off a site specialized in acrylic would have been cheaper. If you are going to DIY don't you want something more custom than black acrylic from HD.  As for cutting the teeth, short of buying some expensive tool at HD or having the knowledge on techniques to do so that is the largest hurdle here.  Or be lazy and make a toothless coast to coast overflow like me haha.  Also supporting the great acrylic workers of Nanoreef is nothing to be ashamed about! Wether it's Cromag or oceanbox or someone else's stuff I'm unaware of I've had great luck with nanoreef sponsors

what is the quality of the Oceanbox caddy vs InTank caddy?

and those of you with the Obd AIO...how do you find it for space to fit your bits into, like media reactor and/or protein skimmer?

not sure Smiz. the thought was to take the Aquamaxx 48.2 gallon long and turn it into an AIO, with the sump having the space to fit the larger skimmers and media reactors.  :ninja:

realistically though, because of space constraints, I'm probably going to end up making some sort of mulit-tank stand and fit the 6L, 9L and 12L onto it.  B) 

7 minutes ago, Friendly said:

what is the quality of the Oceanbox caddy vs InTank caddy?

and those of you with the Obd AIO...how do you find it for space to fit your bits into, like media reactor and/or protein skimmer?

The quality is top notch. And since I'm using mine for a 12 long which is pretty narrow, I'm happy with the space. @Oceanbox Designs Does a good job with the layout 

• Like 1