Top Shelf Aquatics

Best Lighting suggestion for the Innovative Marine 30L tank - Updated

j_wey

Hi,

I just bought a Innovative Marine 30L tank and looking into buying LED light fixtures for this tank.  What would be the best LED light for the tank?

Thank size is 36 x 15 x 12, so it is a long and shallow tank.  I will be growing LPS, mushrooms and few fish in the tank .  

1) Kessil A160 x 2

2) Kessil A360 x 2

3) Radion XR15W Pro x 2  or  XR30w x 1

4) AI Prime HD  x 2 or Hydra TwentySix HD x 1

5) Other suggestions?

6) Added: AquaMaxx Prism 36-48" LED 

Thanks for your suggestions.

best regards,
Jeff

Five.five-six

Tagging along, I have a 29BC and was looking at the steve's retro setup but read some really bad reviews here on NR.  My next choice was the XR30 but I plan on SPS and am running a apex classic which I would like to use control the lighting.

If you are growing softies and LPS, I would think any of those lights you mentioned would be sufficient.  

socaljayhawk

I went with 2 Nanobox Tide + M's. I cant comment on coral growth yet, but they are the best looking in my opinion. Since the power cords are in the gooseneck, they are by far the cleanest looking lights IMO. The price was better then 2 AIs or Kessels also.

23 minutes ago, socaljayhawk said:

I went with 2 Nanobox Tide + M's. I cant comment on coral growth yet, but they are the best looking in my opinion. Since the power cords are in the gooseneck, they are by far the cleanest looking lights IMO. The price was better then 2 AIs or Kessels also.

Thanks.   I have checked out the Nanobox LEDs, but there is not much information out there.   Do you have any issue with shimmering or disco ball affect?

socaljayhawk

I love the shimmer, but isnt that just from the water agitation at the top? I dont see any disco ball effect with mine. But I havent even begun to mess with settings yet as Im still cycling my tank.

Im sure people with much more experience with them will chime in, they are pretty popular on this forum it seems. I can only really speak to the looks...100% happy with their design.

soggydollar

I have been running two Radion XR15W Pro's on my IM 30L for two years now.  

I have had excellent growth on all of my corals.

Highly recommend 

Five.five-six
On 8/8/2017 at 10:18 AM, soggydollar said:

I have been running two Radion XR15W Pro's on my IM 30L for two years now.  

I have had excellent growth on all of my corals.

Highly recommend 

I found  great price on a 2 year old XR30w gen3, I want to go SPS, would that be a good light for a biocube 29?

burtbollinger

First choice...I'd go with a Nanobox Quad.

After that, either a  pair of AI Prime HDs, XR15s,  or a pair of Kessils.

20 minutes ago, Five.five-six said:

I found  great price on a 2 year old XR30w gen3, I want to go SPS, would that be a good light for a biocube 29?

yes.

shaneandjohn

My suggestion would be AI ?   I think you would be better off with 2 primes over 1 Hydra 26. The 26 will light the middle, but you would have shadowing on the edges. AI lights are very easy to set up, and you will have all of the conroll you could ever need. AI offers many mounting options, that are well built , sturdy, and Visually appealing ?

Thanks for all your suggestions.  

Since the Innovative Marine 30L is a long and shallow tank.   A new LED light fixture caught my attention : AquaMaxx Prism 36-48" LED light fixture.    I am wondering if this is the best choice to go, for $200.  

On 8/9/2017 at 9:25 PM, Friendly said:

the 30L is one of the tanks I am considering and for a light, the Current USA Loop system has caught my eye. it is a controller for the lights, wavemakers and accessories.

http://current-usa.com/loop/meet-loop/

I am currently using a Current USA Orbit Marine LED 18w model, with the loop controller for another 10G tank and the result is not so good, as it does not have as many color LEDs, mainly white and blue.   I am trying to find info on the new AquaMaxx Prisom 36-48" LED light.   Hopefully this is a good choice.    

I just ordered the very new LedZeal Zeus 150 for my 30L SPS build.

http://www.ledzeal.com/p49.html

I love the look of the light, wifi controllable, good LED layout, fanless, optional 90 or 120 degree lenses (I went with 120), and no shadowing but thin enough to blend well.

Only drawback I see is that these are only 120W. Compare this to the 220W reefbreeder Photons of the same size and most people would think them under-powered. However, I feel  most people never run their LEDs close to 100% and you especially wouldn't need that much power in a 12 inch max depth tank. 

Price:

Light $170

Wifi Controller: $65

Shipping $60

Total of $295

1 hour ago, ProteusReef said:

I just ordered the very new LedZeal Zeus 150 for my 30L SPS build.

http://www.ledzeal.com/p49.html

I love the look of the light, wifi controllable, good LED layout, fanless, optional 90 or 120 degree lenses (I went with 120), and no shadowing but thin enough to blend well.

Only drawback I see is that these are only 120W. Compare this to the 220W reefbreeder Photons of the same size and most people would think them under-powered. However, I feel  most people never run their LEDs close to 100% and you especially wouldn't need that much power in a 12 inch max depth tank. 

Price:

Light $170

Wifi Controller: $65

Shipping $60

Total of $295

Thanks, I will check it out!