SaltCritters.com

Red sea 170, first tank ever

brianinak

So here is my first Journal for first tank ever!

Tank: red sea reefer 170 (white)

34g display, 9g sump

Light: Hydra 26 HD

Pump: eheim Compact 2000 (528 g/h)

artfully acrylic lid on order

Power head (not running yet)

Jeabo RW 8

Filtration

25-29 lbs of reef saver dry rock

1 to 1.5 inch sand bed, Ocean direct

bubble magus curve 5

sock

Biological start

Red Sea Reef Mature Pro (currently day one)

controller: used Apex temp and ph probe

Water: RODI system

Instant Ocean salt

Heater; Eheim Jagar 125 w.

ATO stock

Test kits

Refractometer

Red sea marine care test kit

so far calibrating heater, some swings in temp put now tracking to see how big.  Getting water level right, the flow valve is very sensitive and trying to get return pump to 6 in as recommended.  So far things going well5987af9f1e51b_dayonereefer170.thumb.jpg.87c158af0d8015d539d958af47db2afd.jpg

day one reefer 170.jpg

pics got goofy

• Like 3

Flow question for you?  How long did it take to dial in the flow valve?  Am I correct that it is very very sensitive and needs around 30 min to adjust?

Stocking plan:

LPS and soft corals

I like the mushrooms and brains.  I like candy canes also.  Thinking about pulsing xenia, but I have heard they are like weeds.  Something with some flow to it.  I have more research to do on corals.  Any recommendations welcome

CC:

torchus and nauris (spelling) snails and really want shrimp and/or crab.  Would love to have both.  I dig inverts!  Have not seen or heard of shrimp and crabs in tank our size.

Coral banded shrimp or porcelain crab

Fish

clown pair

golby with hope to pairing with shrimp

2-4 blue greem chromis.

Maybe more way done the road.

Feedback welcome

going to check out your thread

Looks good man, it's upto you as whatever you want in your tank, it is ultimately your decision. But a lot of people tend to get over the chromis. They can be real territorial however so can clownfish! But you've got a great start here. Keen to see it progress 

MockandRoll
12 hours ago, brianinak said:

Flow question for you?  How long did it take to dial in the flow valve?  Am I correct that it is very very sensitive and needs around 30 min to adjust?

Stocking plan:

LPS and soft corals

I like the mushrooms and brains.  I like candy canes also.  Thinking about pulsing xenia, but I have heard they are like weeds.  Something with some flow to it.  I have more research to do on corals.  Any recommendations welcome

CC:

torchus and nauris (spelling) snails and really want shrimp and/or crab.  Would love to have both.  I dig inverts!  Have not seen or heard of shrimp and crabs in tank our size.

Coral banded shrimp or porcelain crab

Fish

clown pair

golby with hope to pairing with shrimp

2-4 blue greem chromis.

Maybe more way done the road.

Feedback welcome

going to check out your thread

My only recommendation is to have patience. It is the hardest part, especially with your first tank. Take your time and make it uniquely yours.  Happy Reefing. 

Day 3 of cycle as peer red sea reef mature pro

Levels in pump compartment and overflow do not seem to stabilize.   Is this typical? Do need to adjust ATO

Help appreciated?

MockandRoll
59 minutes ago, brianinak said:

Day 3 of cycle as peer red sea reef mature pro

Levels in pump compartment and overflow do not seem to stabilize.   Is this typical? Do need to adjust ATO

Help appreciated?

What kind of flow do you have? My flow ramps up and down throughout the day, which in turn changes how fast the water goes into the sump. At first I was always tweeking the dial. Now I have found a happy medium where the tank is silent except when flow is going full blast. 

Just have return pump running at 528g/h

I have been Messing with valve to sump but trying to just leave it be.

I get some noise from overflow drain randomly and I added sw  to raise level or turn up over flow box with valve.

then realized that ATO has released very little in few days and slight increase in salinity.    I've stopped  adding sw and playing with valve hoping ATO will rise levels and noise will stop. What was your experience tweeting it?

I'm on right track here?

• 2 weeks later...

Tank update,

I continue to follow the Red Sea reef mature pro program.  Little no results.  Highest Ammoia has been 0.6, do have some nitrites so feel something is likely happening.  Nitrates ranging from 35 to 50.  I'm know cycle would be slower due to use of dry rock, but 15 days and tank looks and tests much as it did on day one. 

testing with red sea marine care kit.  The colors are sometimes very subjective and I often question the results.  Thought I had the start of diatoms.  Brown hint to areas of sand that progressed for a day or two then went away.  No algae yet.  there is one thing that might be growth coming out of the rocks.  I have tried to take a picture of it but photos would not be helpful. 

anyhow, being patient but there is no way I would recommend the Red Sea reef mature program to anyone, especially if using dry rocks. 

cSo day 17 of red sea reef mature.  Tank appears to be cycling.  so that is good.  Zero diatoms or algae.  Not sure if that is worry or not.  No pox added daily as program so that might be controlling algae.  Not sure.  Did not add a pic b/c tanks looks just like it did on day one.  Did start to get some brown coloring on sand, but never materialized into anything, went away after about two days. 

Ammonia went to .6 one day, then down to .2 then zero.  Nitrites went up to .2 now down to less than 0.05.  Barely regesters on test.  Nitrates up to 50, today 15, considering adding fish when nitrate down to 10 or less. 

Have not added CUC b/c no algae to feed them.  Considering adding fish and small CUC together.  Once tank is ready.

Always interested in other's thoughts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have the same tank and I gotta say you won't be disappointed, the only thing I will say is keep eye on the ATO as it can get stuck, that's prob why your finding it difficult to get it plumbed it correctly and makes that god aweful noise.. it happend to mine several times one e when on holiday and came home to a burnt out heater and return pump ? in the end I took it out and bought a Smart ATO and have never looked back. 

Have not had an issue yet.  So far loving the tank.  I do struggle with the flow.  At times feels the ATO empties quick.  No way it can go 3 days as stated by red sea.  But I live in dry environment (Alaska).  Upgrading ATO one of the long term goals.  So far very happy with tank and I live my shrimp!!!